Which CODEC pack do you use?
Been using the KLite Codec Pack (Full) for a few years now, never had any issues, but figured after a few years maybe time to see if something else is out there that may be better, especially since I never used MKV/MP4's until a few months ago when I started using XBMC.

Just wondered which CODEC packs you guys use for Win7, and why?

Nerd
System 1: HK1 RBox - Android 11, S905X4 Quad-Core, 4GB DDR3 - CoreElec KODI 20.3
System 2: Beelink GT1 Ultimate - Android 7.1, S912 Octa-Core 1.5 GHz, 3GB DDR4 - CoreElec KODI 18
Storage: WD MyCloud EX2 Ultra NAS - 2x4TB WD Blue (WD40EZRZ)
Display: 55" TCL 55R615-CA 4K TV
How about None?
Ballistic Wrote:How about None?

Does XBMC come with it's own CODECS?

With all the various codecs used for making mkv, mp4, avi, and different audio channels like mp3, aac, ac3, dts... you need something installed no?

I had Firefly MKV files where the audio didn't work, re-encoded them leaving the video untouched and switching audio to MP3 and works fine now. Files worked before on my system before I wiped it out and reinstalled everything so, suspect was a missing codec.
System 1: HK1 RBox - Android 11, S905X4 Quad-Core, 4GB DDR3 - CoreElec KODI 20.3
System 2: Beelink GT1 Ultimate - Android 7.1, S912 Octa-Core 1.5 GHz, 3GB DDR4 - CoreElec KODI 18
XBMC is not a directshow player install as many codecs as you like they will have no effect in XBMC
Current HTPC Lian-Li PC-C37 • Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H • Intel C2D E8400 E0 Stepping • OCZ Vertex SSD • 4GB Corsair TwinX XMS2 DDR2 • Corsair HX650W Modular PSU (Free Upgrade) • LG CH08LS10 Blu-Ray Drive • Scythe Big Shuriken • Acousti DustPROOF 70mm Fan
THRobinson Wrote:Does XBMC come with it's own CODECS?

With all the various codecs used for making mkv, mp4, avi, and different audio channels like mp3, aac, ac3, dts... you need something installed no?

I had Firefly MKV files where the audio didn't work, re-encoded them leaving the video untouched and switching audio to MP3 and works fine now. Files worked before on my system before I wiped it out and reinstalled everything so, suspect was a missing codec.
XBMC use its codecs. After you wiped out everything, did you re-install the latest ATI drive? Did you reconfigure w7 audio output in control panel. Did you reconfigure XBMC audio output?
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
I hate codec packs just install the ones you need and configure them correctly not just install as many as possible configure nothing and hope one of them works :confused2:
Current HTPC Lian-Li PC-C37 • Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H • Intel C2D E8400 E0 Stepping • OCZ Vertex SSD • 4GB Corsair TwinX XMS2 DDR2 • Corsair HX650W Modular PSU (Free Upgrade) • LG CH08LS10 Blu-Ray Drive • Scythe Big Shuriken • Acousti DustPROOF 70mm Fan
Everything was setup (as far as I know) the same way.

Doesn't matter, converted now. Smile

Just assumed it used codecs the same way as media player... though I suspect a codec pack is still a good thing to have for converting stuff. I'll have to recheck the settings, had a few mkv files recently that if you skip through the video/audio gets choppy and stays that way, but if you hit play at the start and don't touch it it's fine. Assumed was a codec issue, and maybe is... reencoded it to mkv using the default settings in vidcoder and works perfect now. Maybe the original files used a weird codec that xbmc doesn't.

Anyway, I'll give it a go over, see if anything new for ati came out the past few weeks, make sure hardware acceleration is on etc.
>>X<<' Wrote:I hate codec packs just install the ones you need and configure them correctly not just install as many as possible configure nothing and hope one of them works :confused2:

I'd rather install 1 pack and hope one works vs every other movie giving a codec issue and then trying to hunt down what someone used 4yrs ago to make an avi file. That's why I started using a pack. Seemed to eliminate 99% of my problems install K-lite and leaving at the defaults. Use to get so many avi files with sync issues and no audio, or audio and no video... installed the pack and problems solved.

That was of course when I used WMP... Smile

Packs are great for us 'average joe' end users who wouldn't know how to configure them even if they wanted to.
THRobinson Wrote:I'd rather install 1 pack and hope one works vs every other movie giving a codec issue and then trying to hunt down what someone used 4yrs ago to make an avi file. That's why I started using a pack. Seemed to eliminate 99% of my problems install K-lite and leaving at the defaults. Use to get so many avi files with sync issues and no audio, or audio and no video... installed the pack and problems solved.

That was of course when I used WMP... Smile

Packs are great for us 'average joe' end users who wouldn't know how to configure them even if they wanted to.

I rest my case Laugh

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Which CODEC pack do you use?0