ATV2 XBMC Jittering, Choppy Playback SMB
Hello, this is my first time writing here even thou i follow the forum when troubleshooting issues.

Just wanted to share a few things which some people might have already realised and sorted on their own.

Biggest concern to me when using XBMC on HTPC or ATV2 was an issue when watching a movie hosted from NAS or PC over the network.

I am very picky and always noticed that my video playback is never smooth.

i done heaps of test to get it sorted but never did.

One of the biggest notices recently was when watching Cowboy vs Aliens movie. At the begging theres a slow motion picture of Desert and it seems very choppy.

After lots of trial an error i found changing Audio/Video in ATV2 to 16Bit and Coaxial/Optical in XBMC fixed the problem imediatly also found that using Sync Back DropDupe option really leaned out the quality.
Video now plays exactly the same as it does when rented from iTunes store.

i rebooted ATV2 heaps of times to verify the fix and it works.

Does anyone else experience such issues and fixed it same way i did?

regards

Ross
Hi Rostic,

I have my ATV2 set to 16 bit and use coax/optical in XBMC.

However, Sync Back DropDupe, whats this? How do I set this?

Thanks in advance.

G
If i understand you right your picture quility wasent good, if so i have the exact same thing when watching on my apt2 xbmc the picture is bad, if i watch it on the computer it is perfect what can that be?
GnarusLeo Wrote:Hi Rostic,

I have my ATV2 set to 16 bit and use coax/optical in XBMC.

However, Sync Back DropDupe, whats this? How do I set this?

Thanks in advance.

G

It's under video settings a/v sync method Video Clock (Drop/Dupe audio)
Yes!!

The Drop Dupe option took away all of my stuttering worries. Amazing, thank you! Big Grin

However, I am unfortunately still experiencing the ocasional buffering.Eek

Sometimes with intervals on 1-2 minutes, but then suddenly, on the same movie, it playbacks for 10-15 minutes running fine. And the it may get it on again and so forth. Angry

Dont understand this. I dont believe its buffering because the ATV2 is out of spec on the file (how will it then play smooth for 15 minutes straight?).

It has something to do with how XBMC utilize network (or perhaps how the ATV does it ..)

However, SMB is a pain for me, and AFP (using now) is somewhat better ..

Greetings, G

EDIT note:

I have my ATV on stone cold wire directly to a 1TB Time Capsule with all my movies.
GnarusLeo Wrote:Yes!!

The Drop Dupe option took away all of my stuttering worries. Amazing, thank you! Big Grin

However, I am unfortunately still experiencing the ocasional buffering.Eek

Sometimes with intervals on 1-2 minutes, but then suddenly, on the same movie, it playbacks for 10-15 minutes running fine. And the it may get it on again and so forth. Angry

Dont understand this. I dont believe its buffering because the ATV2 is out of spec on the file (how will it then play smooth for 15 minutes straight?).

It has something to do with how XBMC utilize network (or perhaps how the ATV does it ..)

However, SMB is a pain for me, and AFP (using now) is somewhat better ..

Greetings, G

EDIT note:

I have my ATV on stone cold wire directly to a 1TB Time Capsule with all my movies.

Couldn't that just be related to variable framerates, which means some scenes have a higher bitrate, and therefor need for bandwidth, than other scenes?
It could, yes.

But my point being that I have run several other media centers (including WD TV Live) on this very same connection for years. Not one single time has the video stopped to buffer - which makes me wonder ...
Maybe the time capsule the cause of your problem? I red about this in other topics, where people had same problem and all had a time capsule network. Have you tried with another source for your movies, for example strem from a computer?
I had major issues with my Time Capsule (on a wired network). Don't know why, maybe someone hear can give a reason (or tell me I'm chatting rubbish).

But I eventually gave it up, got a new router with a USB host, and have a 1TB portable drive connected.
Now it works like a dream, even over Wireless-N.
As i have red in other topics, you are not the only with this problem. It's very strange that time capsule can give so many problems. I wonder waht can be the cause...
Hm ... it must be a XBMC+Time Capsule issue, or ATV2+Time Capsule issue.

As stated before, I have run several other devices through smb, nfs (and so forth), and not experienced this issue before.
got ATV2 streaming from a windows based NAS over SMB and was having exactly the same problem. Changed to DropDupe and it's unbelivable the difference in quality. No choppyness, no mid film buffering.

Thanks.
Hi, I've sent a pm but just in case does anyone know where the setting is that is referred to in the statement: "You mention "changing Audio/Video in ATV2 to 16Bit and Coaxial/Optical in XBMC" I can't find it.

Thanks
The first part (16bit) is under the settings tab in iOS (NOT XBMC), then the Audio & Video menu and it is in there. The second bit (Coaxial/Optical) is in XBMC -> Settings -> System -> Audio output.
Set Up
Raspberry Pi running Raspbmc - XBMC 12.2
40" Samsung ES6800 LED Smart 3D 1080P TV
Onkyo HTS3405 5.1 DD True HD and DTS-HD Surround Sound
ReadyNAS Duo with 4TB (2 x 2TB X-RAID) Western Digital Caviar Green using NFS
Thanks for reply. I hadn't realised it for was iOS, must have missed that bit.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ATV2 XBMC Jittering, Choppy Playback SMB0