Home media network advice needed...
I want to set up a home media network but I'm not sure which way to go with it. Here's my situation:

At the moment I've got XBMC running on my laptop as I'm out of town a lot. I really enjoy it, it's a great program. It's an older unit running winXP 1.8Ghz/2GB ram, seems to keep up alright but requires XBMC to be shut down and restarted after either numerous videos or a few minimizes.

At home I've got 3 tvs, all 720p and an iMac.

I had been hooking up the laptop to the living room tv via the VGA cord and watching XBXC content on there. I recently added a new tv that doesn't have a VGA input and my laptop doesn't have HDMI out so it's spurring me to create a dedicated home XBMC system.

I've got an xbox360 for gaming so I basically just want XBMC on the tvs with network access to video, music and pictures. Can ATV2, winXP and OSX all talk to an unRAID? I know right now I have to use a thumb drive to transfer files from mac to pc because the mac will read only NTFS and the pc won't even recognize my mac formatted external HDD.

I'm envisioning having all my media stored and 'backed up' on an unRAID server hidden away in the storage room & connected to my airport extreme. ATV2s giving XBMC access to all the TVs in the house and then the imac being able to upload dvdrips and pics and stuff to the unRAID and then the laptop being able to pull off some new unwatched content before I leave town.

A couple other things are does mySQL work on the ATV2s? How about a universal (harmony) remote? If I plug the unRAID into a router (airport extreme) can I access it wirelessly too? Sorry for the novel and thanks in advance for any guidance. Smile
I can't answer al your questions, but I can tell you this: With network storage, theoretically any OS can access the files if the server is set up correctly, because the client only sees the file list, and not the underlying file system. I have a samba server running on my HTPC, and files can be accessed from windows, mac, and linux systems.

Also, wireless network sharing is often as simple as expanding the network with an access point, but the speeds may not be high enough for streaming high bitrate files.
Asus AT5IONT-I in an A+ CUPID-3 + 2TB Seagate LP + 16GB SSD + Ubuntu + Samba + XBMC

AT5IONT-I Problems? Check out my Motherboard I/O Map for troubleshooting tips.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Home media network advice needed...0