Turn Screen Off
Please dont shout at me for not googling enough.

I did do a quick search, and what are forums for if we can't ask stupid questions and get simple answer... and boost our post count. lol

Anyway, how can i set XBMC to let my monitor turn off?

With XBMC in the other room, the PC is set to turn off after 1hr.

With this PC i like to leave it on, but i do like the monitor to go off. So when xbmc is finished playing and the menu isn't moved for X amount of minutes, isn't there a way to let it turn the monitor off.

It goes off when XBMC isn't on. And the other one only goes to sleep if a) A video is left paused for 1hr or b) the menu is left for 1hr.

So basically i want the same thing but monitor only not the actual PC.
Have you thought of turning off your monitor using the power button when you walk away?
baldmosher™
Trying to save his marriage with a HTPC
Current system: TV unit, 37PFL5405H, Microserver N40L (as HTPC), Xbox360, BDP-S370, FoxsatHD, Azur 540Rv2, Keysonic 540RF, Harmony 300
Planned W7x64 AMD mATX (HT)PC build: Case, PSU, RAM, Mobo, CPU Total £240 + IR + HSF? + SSD?
I don't recall doing anything special. I believe I just changed the setting "Turn off the display" in Windows (under Power Options). This is overridden while playing a video, but otherwise our display goes black within about 5 minutes and then the TV powers itself off (due to lack of signal; a setting in the TV itself) a few minutes later.

We have a plasma TV in the living room and I didn't want to risk any image retention or screen burn. It's never been a problem with this TV, but with this HTPC, it is far more likely for someone to start something and then walk away.
Intel G620 2.6Ghz | 4GB DDR3 | ASRock H61M-GE | ASUS ENGT430 | 30GB Kingston SNV125-S2 SSD | 2TB Seagate ST2000DL003 HDD | Lite-On IHOS104-06 Blu-ray Drive | LIANLI PC-C39 Case | Antec EA-380D PSU | WIN7 HOME Prem 64bit | Dharma 10.1
There should be a setting in XBMC under Power Saving>Turn off on idle or something to that effect.
http://i.imgur.com/s05P7.png
live4ever Wrote:There should be a setting in XBMC under Power Saving>Turn off on idle or something to that effect.

Driver 944 Wrote:http://i.imgur.com/s05P7.png

Thanks guys, sorry, bad day. Should have spent some more time looking.

baldmosher Wrote:Have you thought of turning off your monitor using the power button when you walk away?
When i walk away i want the monitor to be on, wouldn't be able to watch it otherwise.

I want it to go off when i fall asleep. lol
Another setting that might come into play is under:

Settings>System>Video Output
"Use a fullscreen window rather than true fullscreen"

XBMC might behave differently with regards to putting the display to sleep with this option checked or unchecked.
cheers, it may be that i use true fulllscreen. which would prob override my windows setting
Well that was strange, it worked as intended but when i resumed with remote in hand, the screen came on but xbmc remained in the dimmed screensaver mode and wouldnt respond. had to ctrl+alt+del to do anything. Seems there's a bug or something. I'll maybe try disabling the screensaver or something.
seems to be constantly doing this... it's not too annoying though just means killing the process... i spose its worth it to get the screen off auto... would be nice if there was a solution. if posting a log would help let me know
I disabled my screensaver years ago. Completely pointless with an LCD
baldmosher™
Trying to save his marriage with a HTPC
Current system: TV unit, 37PFL5405H, Microserver N40L (as HTPC), Xbox360, BDP-S370, FoxsatHD, Azur 540Rv2, Keysonic 540RF, Harmony 300
Planned W7x64 AMD mATX (HT)PC build: Case, PSU, RAM, Mobo, CPU Total £240 + IR + HSF? + SSD?
Well i tried disabling the screensaver by setting screen saver to "none..." didnt help.

I tried using "play" to wake the monitor and when it came on the audio from the video was playing but only the menu appeared and you couldn't move around with remote or keyboard or anything. Only thing to do was ctrl alt del.

http://pastebin.com/WT60Nuh2

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Turn Screen Off0