Choppy playback until restart
(2013-10-11, 02:30)gojohnnygogo Wrote: playback within a day or two will become noticably stuttering, everything functions without error and movies all play back, however it looks like frames are dropped every now and then which produces a subtle but noticable choppiness in the playback.
I'm still using the same install as I had before. I plan on redoing everything in the near future.

Keep an eye out on your FPS in the System Info-Summary screen under Screen Resolution. That may clue you in to when you might have possible playback issues.
What I see is after a day my FPS goes from 60fps (I have my resolution set to 1920x1080 @ 60) to 62.50. Then shortly after it drops to 31.25, then my system becomes unresponsive if it changes any further.
When it's 31.25 the scrolling on the menu becomes very rapid, and video playback becomes unwatchable.
I find a nice XBMC reboot puts it back at 60fps and everything plays fine again. (until the next day)
Haven't found the cause of this issue yet.

same issue here. on a build with windows 7 64bit, i5, 4gigs of ram. after closing and opening xbmc, it works fine.
(2011-12-06, 09:30)meridius Wrote: I hope xbmc11 has this fixed but here is a workaround

only tried this in windows 7 64bit

Create a Kill XBMC.bat file with notepad and put this in that file

C:\Windows\Syswow64\TaskKill /F /IM xbmc.exe
timeout /T 2
start "XBMC" "C:\Program Files (x86)\XBMC\xbmc.exe

Create a Kill XBMC (No Window).vbs with notepad and put in that

Set WshShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
WshShell.Run chr(34) & "C:\Program Files (x86)\XBMC\Kill xbmc.bat" & Chr(34), 0
Set WshShell = Nothing

Now run windows task scheduler and do this

Create Task

General (TAB)
Name: XBMC Reset
Hidden: Ticked

Triggers (TAB) Create a New Trigger
Begin The Task: On an Event
Log: Microsoft-Windows-Diagnostics-Performance/Operational
Source: Diagnostics/Performance
Event ID: 300

Actions (TAB) Create a New Action
Action: Start a Program
Program/Script: select the Kill XBMC (No Window).vbs File

Make sure the .bat file and .vbs file are in the xbmc folder or you can alter the above lines for your location of the files

And Thats it all works
I'm having problems getting this to work. If I manually run the .vbs file it works properly, but when run from Windows Task Scheduler it doesn't do anything. It says the task is running but it doesn't actually close and re-open XBMC. Suggestions?
Bump.
I'm not 100% sure, but it seems to me that the issue begins to manifest itself when I've watched some interlaced videos and then try to watch a progressive video. Playing with interlaced method switch seems to help (except for restarting XBMC, of course), but, again, I'm not 100% sure and don't have enough statistic to confirm it, as the issue occurs rarely.
(2014-06-20, 09:34)Roman_V_M Wrote: I'm not 100% sure, but it seems to me that the issue begins to manifest itself when I've watched some interlaced videos and then try to watch a progressive video. Playing with interlaced method switch seems to help (except for restarting XBMC, of course), but, again, I'm not 100% sure and don't have enough statistic to confirm it, as the issue occurs rarely.
Unfortunately that's not the problem. I don't even use the XBMC video player (launch MPC-HC).

XBMC starts to slow down after about 2 days for me.
Same issue here, however this issue started with my setup after installing Gotham (nothing else changed).
Used Frodo without any issues, with system on 24/7.
Now I've to restart XBMC every 1-3 days...

W7x64, E8400, ATI HD6570
Not really a fix as such but I setup task scheduler to run RESTARTXMBC.EXE at 8am every day.

Works a treat.
(2014-07-29, 17:14)Hashman_aus Wrote: Not really a fix as such but I setup task scheduler to run RESTARTXMBC.EXE at 8am every day.

Works a treat.
Could you elaborate on this as I am having trouble getting task scheduler to work as posted above.
I've been using v14.0 Alpha 2, and so far it's had promising results.

My system has been running for 7 days 11 hours and the video playback frame rate has stayed the same and the GUI menu scrolls left and right just as it did with a fresh reload.

Maybe this will be fixed with the release of v14!! Keep your fingers crossed. X
This always happens to me on a machine that I use only for XBMC and sleep between uses, I had to create a task triggered by wakeup to run a batch file to kill the process, wait a few seconds, and then start it again so it remains performant.

But, it also happens on a server machine which I double as an HTPC which never sleeps and leaves XBMC idling in a session 24/7. Generally playback seems to always be fine in that case however after a while the menus become choppy and laggy and this is on an i5-4590/HD Graphics 4600 setup which is completely ridiculous.

I could schedule a restart of XBMC at some odd time early in the morning, chances are nobody will be using it then, but it would also be annoying if somebody was by some chance using it... both of these "solutions" are too hacky to bear.

Maybe it's time to upgrade all of my machines to 14 a bit early if there are reports that this problem is finally gone for some inexplicable reason in that release.
(2014-08-24, 07:55)Skram0 Wrote: I've been using v14.0 Alpha 2, and so far it's had promising results.

My system has been running for 7 days 11 hours and the video playback frame rate has stayed the same and the GUI menu scrolls left and right just as it did with a fresh reload.

Maybe this will be fixed with the release of v14!! Keep your fingers crossed. X

OK, but have you tried to put your system to sleep? And then check if frame rate jumps around when awakened?

regards

Per

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Choppy playback until restart0