XBMC for Android
@ned - I know some of the devs are working on it, and I certainly don't want to demean their efforts. I was just wondering about the processing power requirements. I guess I've seen some pretty good playback on IPads, and as I noted I'm probably being short-sighted and ignoring the hard-won law of computational power.

I just see an increasing trend towards NAS/SQL, demanding skins (love the look of the Paper Factory skin-in-progress) and of course a zillion forum threads on playback/stuttering/optimization issues. Seems to me it's gonna be a tough act to get the current architecture running smoothly on lesser devices.

Somewhere out there is a crossing-point between development time and the processing rate of Android devices, and maybe the twain shall meet!

I see Winamp has an Android port now, but it's doing a tenth of what XBMC is doing with its multiple streams, GUI refreshes, video, advanced skins, etc.
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
I`m with DDDamian on this one regarding tablets (but just tablets, media players with android on them is another story)

Let`s look at some practical situations

You`re at home and you want to watch a movie. I`ve got a choice between a 60 inch Pionner plasma and 600W+ of power that shake the room when an explosion goes off versus a 7-10 inch screen with speakers the size of my nails, where an explosion in a movie sounds like someone is farting....

You`re on the road and want to watch a movie. The tablet makes sense, but your tablet is 32GB in storage space, which means 2-3 movies max (and i`m thinking about compressed rips from the net, not full BD remuxes). Do you really need all that XBMC offers in terms of movie info for 2 movies? Not likely.

Something like the Google TV (say the Logitech Revue) running XBMC does make a lot of sense, obviously.

PS : A good Android phone is 400-500$ without a contract. You can build a full HTPC for that money, so buying and using a phone as your media box isn`t exactly a cheap ideea
Quote:Let`s look at some practical situations

My current HTPC have no built in screen at all. I connect it to my TV.

EDIT: I agree a pad is too expensive to be used as a HTPC though.
Android version would make sense if it could act as a remote for another htpc.. so you could actually control another xbmc machine using touchscreen and they'd both have identical GUI.

Android remote is not yet as functional as i'd hope.
Welcome to the forums blobbo.

I personally love the Android remote (got it on a 9" tablet - most amazing $99 remote I've seen lol) and while the pace of development is kinda slow Freezy has promised a more tablet-oriented update to the official remote software.

My cheap tablet can barely read a book, let alone run XBMC with video. Even it's built-in video player doing the most basic playback routine is just adequate. But it was only bought to be a whole-house remote with all the info at your fingertips, and at that it excels.

@GreenEyez - "explosion like a fart" - hilarious! is that a DTS-HD fart or just core DTS?
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
XBMC runs great on iOS devices, and they tend to lag a bit behind Android devices for raw power.

No one is going to buy a phone for XBMC. However, a ton of people already have one. That's the point I was making, using something that someone already has in their pocket.

TV specific Android hardware is dirt cheap, too.
as someone who uses their tablet for watching movies on the go regularly i can honestly say that having a nice xbmc interface to flip thru my couple dozen movie i can fit on my memory card isnt really all that important to me however i would like to see it ported to android "someday" because Android SFF PCs are going to be really popular within the next year and coming years after i suspect.
just look at how much the Android OS has evolved in the last year.
all that aside its been stated numerous times that XBMC for android isnt possible due to lacking several things (librarys and what not) and to keep asking for something that you cant have is just stupid so id suggest that someone who really wants xbmc for android badly finds out exactly what is required that we dont have yet and goes to the android development forums to make there requests there til someone fills your requests and then maybe one of the devs here might take an interest in starting an android port of xbmc.
Un-stuck. Some team members freaked out when donation stuff was mentioned, and others didn't like the implication that XBMC was going to be ported to Android without anything formal being planned.
Ned Scott Wrote:Un-stuck. Some team members freaked out when donation stuff was mentioned, and others didn't like the implication that XBMC was going to be ported to Android without anything formal being planned.
probablly a good plan.
its understandable wanting it to be highly visable so that ppl dont create yet another "gimme xbmc on android" thread but i could see how ppl new to the forums could take it as plans to port to android just because it was sticky'd.
maybe just giving the thread a nudge here and there to keep it near the top of the list would suffice.
Vampirebat Wrote:then maybe one of the devs here might take an interest in starting an android port of xbmc.

HAHAHA, more clueless remarks.

No one ever said that there were not some xbmc devs working on an XBMC for Android port. In fact, it has been stated many, many times but for some reason, no one seems to pay attention to that. It's complicated, very complicated. It takes time and the work is being done in private to keep the noise down. Just like we did XBMC for iOS...
davilla Wrote:HAHAHA, more clueless remarks.

No one ever said that there were not some xbmc devs working on an XBMC for Android port. In fact, it has been stated many, many times but for some reason, no one seems to pay attention to that. It's complicated, very complicated. It takes time and the work is being done in private to keep the noise down. Just like we did XBMC for iOS...

I don't seem to understand the problem here...

1. Devs asked for hardware (Use search is the common answer...)
2. Android has a critical mass (Missed the global statistics?)
3. All readers can understand 'no promisses'
4. Clear statement on any effort (remember this ?http://xbmc.org/theuni/2011/01/12/more-about-sigma/
5. Are the forums not a place to discuss al questions and topics, newbies and experienced users, programmers? Or should it be called XBMC Dev forums?
6. It's very complicated has the same value as the much hated reply 'It doesn't work'. It does not provide information to attract people that can resolve the issue.

I fully understand that developers are busy, dedicated and working complex matters, but then again, nobody asked the devs to manage the community or feel enforced to provide. Posts are posted to the community, not devs specifically. Frustration is not a wise guide.

Providing a reply is a choice, open source includes open minds and freedom of choice and speech.

I feel these forums are being too much developers minded moderated. Don't get me wrong here, I VERY HIGHLY appreciate all devs and the work they are doing!! As a long time user (was it 4+ years now?) I am impressed and highly appreciate all efforts, BUT.....

Today, we as consumers have high expectations of existing and forthcoming products. Maybe a more detailed explanation on the Andoid (not existing or planned) wiki page would be handy? Certainly if it would explain WHAT kind of skills and resources are required.

That would satisfy more readers I guess.

Anyway, I am not in the position to demand anything, just using the forums and speaking out loud.

Thanks to all devs for all your efforts.
ps. Unstuck because 'some team members' did not agree? There are countries out there that are being chased because 'some members' decide (behind closed doors)what is important for the public/population.

'Freaked out when donation stuff was mentioned' ... WhyHuhHuh?

Open Source
Open Discussion
Open Information
Open minded
pooh Wrote:ps. Unstuck because 'some team members' did not agree? There are countries out there that are being chased because 'some members' decide (behind closed doors)what is important for the public/population.

'Freaked out when donation stuff was mentioned' ... WhyHuhHuh?

Stop nagging. The devs have answered like you wanted. It is being worked on but with slow progess. They need time and when it is done it's done.

And don't PM me about this topic!
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
Martijn Wrote:Stop nagging. The devs have answered like you wanted. It is being worked on but with slow progess.

And don't PM me about this topic!

Frustrated? or willing to discuss? I did not wanted anything, I was merely asking trying to discuss with the community ( Threads: 109,641, Posts: 995,189, Members: 97,376, Active Members: 16,394 )
pooh Wrote:Frustrated? or willing to discuss? I did not wanted anything, I was merely asking trying to discuss with the community ( Threads: 109,641, Posts: 995,189, Members: 97,376, Active Members: 16,394 )

You can discuss all you want but that won't make development go any faster (it might even slow it down). So why bother because there is nothing to discuss unless you contribute some actual coding.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC for Android0