XBMC for Android
Ned Scott Wrote:Oh, I only mention modes because iOS is glitchy on anything but mode 3. Some people go "why bother with mode 3 if it doesn't make things much faster?", but battery life is one reason for that.

Yepp, go for mode 3 if you want to avoid the 'shimmy-shimmy' (Laugh) but for a longer battery life you better enable <nofliptimeout> ... NodNodNod
1. XBMC: http://github.com/FlyingRat/xbmc (ffmpeg-head-inc-xbmc-patches)
2. FFmpeg: http://github.com/FlyingRat/FFmpeg (ffmpeg-head-with-xbmc-custom-patches)
3. XBMC-updated-FFmpeg-binaries (just dev snapshots, no regular distros)
Ned Scott Wrote:XBMC or not, I think I'm in love with that first link ( http://www.dealextreme.com/p/android-ful...aaa-102992 )

Kinda odd how it doesnt look anything like whats printed on the box. I bought a Wowpad 10" infotonic tablet, but the box said JPad. 230$ and Id be lucky to get 75$ for it posting it to craigslist. That tablet looked awesome on paper, but real world tests proved it to be a waste of money.
kinison Wrote:Kinda odd how it doesnt look anything like whats printed on the box. I bought a Wowpad 10" infotonic tablet, but the box said JPad. 230$ and Id be lucky to get 75$ for it posting it to craigslist. That tablet looked awesome on paper, but real world tests proved it to be a waste of money.

It's dealextreme... I'd be happy if it didn't catch on fire :D
I think that a Android version is good, for several reasons, one is, i have a android device with a broken touch screen (i bet that a lot of people has one), is a Novo 7 Basic (JZ4770 1.2Ghz MIPS processor, 512MB, GC860, Android 4.0.3 and hardware decode of 1080p h.264), this tablet even has his own Remote Control, its perfect for HTPC usage in its current state.

I just hope that devs remember to use the mips develover android NDK (that can compile for ARM, MIPS and x86 android) and not the google one.
Ned Scott Wrote:take an Android phone with an HDMI port or HDMI adapter, and you have an OTG XBMC box in your pocket. Over at a friend's house and want to watch a movie or show them XBMC? Bam, it's right there.
This is the exact reason that I want XBMC for Android.
I have a Galaxy Nexus, and I have an HDMI adapter for it.
The only problem is that I have to have 3 different Media Player Apps
(BSPlayer lite, DICE Player Ad., and MX Video Player, oh and sometimes the stock app)
to be able to watch all the the different videos I have.
When I watch a video I have to try all 3(4) apps until I can find which one plays the video the best.
They will play one video perfectly, then go to play another that is encoded the exact same way and it will be jerky/no sound/will do crazy resizing things on my TV.

The reason I use XBMC is that it never has any problems playing anything I throw at it (and also becuase I have used it on my xbox since the beginning so I feel loyal to it).
I don't use it for the GUI (although it is nice), or it's media scraping abilities.

It always plays every video beautifully, it plays them over my network, and it upscales my SD really really really well (the video card obviously does a lot of work here).
So Thank you Team-XBMC for all your amazing work.

Anway, back to the phone.

Hardware wise, I think the Galaxy Nexus will be fine.
If I find a good media player, it will output 1080p videos to my TV perfectly.
It even outputs them at 1080p (everything else 720p or lower is output at 720p, which makes sense I guess as that's the native resolution of the Phone's Display)

Battery Wise, while the Phone is connected to the TV via HDMI the adapter requires a power source to be plugged in (either from the phone's charger, or any other powered USB port). So the phone is actually charged while it's being used.

Right now I use my iPod as my OTG Media Player.
It only has Compoiste Video out (as in Yellow, white, and red cables).
XBMC for iOS doesn't have native video out,
so if I want to use XBMC I have to use display out (another app),
to mirror the screen on the TV, which is very processor intensive (and other hardware parts too I guess),
so the playback becomes jerky etc.
So I have to use VLC to play videos from my iPod to my TV.
It's not jerky at all but can't play 1080p (or even 720p for that matter).
With iOS XBMC I can play 1080p files quite well.
(Although iOS XBMC halves the resolution of the screen becuase of limitations in apple's app coding requirements or something, there's a forum topic somewhere that explains it).

I think that's all I wanted to say.
I would love an Android XBMC,
but I understand it takes time and a lot of work.
So thanks to the people who are working on, goodluck with it.
Those links seem to mostly focus on Android running on tablets, which would be nice and all, but really the big thing that hardware companies are pushing are their custom HTPC boxes that run android. Having XBMC running on android would open it up to run on phones, tablets, and the official/3rd party tv devices. Google TV now officially supports the standard Android applications.

If the developers are interested in building this, they can go to town on it with the SDK that is available now on android.com.

There is a Linux emulator for the GTV development, no Windows/Mac for GTV yet. But building it out using the basic Android platform would allow a lot of work to get done for the project. And an Android version would give XBMC a lot more exposure into the mainstream market than it currently has. Those Plex bastards already have their Google TV app running, don't let them show up XBMC! Smile

Also, it would be nice if there was a tablet interface put into the remote control app.
And gesture timeline control ( like how a lot of the tablet media players have ), for the playback control on the remote, would be nice.

Appreciate all the work guys! I've been an XBMC user for... I dunno, 6 years or so? Back on my old XBox Smile
There's an existing thread called XBMC for Android which has covered this nicely - there's work going on but lot's of issues with some of the libraries XBMC relies on not being available for Android. Here
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
Hi,
I want to know what is the concret SDK and NDK platform to build XBMC for android. If I built a pvr addon separately from XBMC source code and then I built a .zip file, my zip doesn't run witth the official XBMC FRODO APK for Andorid located in the official XBMC repositories. But if a compile my Addon with XBMC source code it works properly. I think it could be because i'm using a diferent SDK and NDK. Then show my SDK and NDK used by someone detects an error:

NDK: android-ndk-r7-crystax-5.beta3 with toolchain for platform android-14
SDK: SDK official android with platform android-14

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC for Android0