• 9(current)
Music library scan / folder access causes crash
works for me too. thanks Memphiz! Now we just need to wait for the b2.
Not sure if this is related to this same issue or not, but a Google search followed by reading through several of the closed threads and ending up on this one brought me here...

Most (if not all) the posts related to this issue seem to be people running SMB shares, but I'm experiencing the same (or a similar) problem with AFP (I'm running all Mac/Apple household). I have a large library on a Synology NAS box hard-wired Gigabit to the ATV2. The music files are in a multi-level mess of directories and subdirectories.

I have created an AFP share for a shared folder on the NAS called "Music" and this mounts as a volume. Under this are music files at the root as well as directories and subdirectories with additional music files.

If I go to Music-->Files and point to the "Music" volume source, it will load a list of the files and directories available. I can then navigate to a specific directory, highlight it, then press and hold the "Menu" key on the ATV remote (actually my Harmony), which brings up the context menu. Selecting "Scan item to library". This usually scans all the music content within that directory and updates the library.

However, certain directories with large (20+ mb) .mp4 files (like podcasts) seem to cause XBMC to crash consistently.

Because I have one of these folders in the scan queue, my ATV2 is stuck in a repeating loop where it tries to scan files in its queue on startup, runs into this folder, then hangs or crashes. I've tried to quickly use the context menu to "stop scanning" but the system becomes unresponsive. I tried unplugging the unit to reboot. However after booting and launching XBMC, it starts the same cycle all over again...

If this is an unrelated issue, I will start a new thread elsewhere, but I'm hoping that this might be related, and my experience may add to this conversation.
please try the id3tagtest7 version i posted here:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=120745&page=6

if it still crashes i need xbmc.log, crashreporter and syslog (read first link in my sig for how to obtain them)
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Update: I removed the "Music" folder as a source, then disabled "Scan on startup" then hard-booted my ATV2. This seemed to end the loop of scanning and hanging up.

I then deleted all the >20 MB podcast .mp4 files in one of the folders that was choking the "scan to library" process.

I am now able to scan that folder successfully (albeit slowly) without crashing XBMC or hanging the ATV2.

So it would appear that my problem was the size of the files, since other smaller .mp4 files are being scanned without trouble. There may also be issues with goofy ID3 tags (or in some cases tags that are missing entirely).
Memphiz Wrote:please try the id3tagtest7 version i posted here:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=120745&page=6

if it still crashes i need xbmc.log, crashreporter and syslog (read first link in my sig for how to obtain them)

Sorry - a noob here - don't know what to do with a .deb file, or what this "id3tagtest" file is. The linked thread doesn't explain it either. Sorry to be a PITA... Blush
copy the file onto the atv2
dpkg -i filename.deb

id3tagtest7 is the test version of xbmc in the .deb file.
The link is going to an earlier post in this thread. You might want to start from the begining and have a read.
g-off Wrote:copy the file onto the atv2
dpkg -i filename.deb

id3tagtest7 is the test version of xbmc in the .deb file.
The link is going to an earlier post in this thread. You might want to start from the begining and have a read.

Thanks for the clarification. I did read the entire thread, but I'll admit that I've been distracted a few times by phone calls.

By the way, does anyone know a good utility (for the Mac) that will identify music files that are missing ID3 tag information? I think this might be contributing to the problem, but since I have all my music files on a NAS, using iTunes to view/edit tags is not practical, and MusicBrainz Picard doesn't have a way to only select files needing attention.

Thanks again. I'll post again if I can duplicate the problem and pin it to something specific. (One of the things I am testing is putting garbage characters into ID3 tags)
sorry for the late chime in.

i had almost given up on this fix. glad to see it's still being investigated!

i too can confirm that this fix is also working for me as well. hopefully this will be the one -- third time is a charm!
Linux Mint 18 LTS 64-bit - Kodi 17 Beta6
Odroid-C2 - Libreelec v7.90.009
  • 9(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Music library scan / folder access causes crash0