• 1(current)
LinksBoks (Links2Browser Web-Browser) integration into XBMC
alright, i would like to start by saying i am not a programmer, credit for the work leading to the following screenshot should be given to ysbox!  it should also be known that this is still in very early stages.  the browser will start up, no input support yet, and it leaks about 1mb each time you start it.  ysbox is trying to clear this issue up currently.  he has also said:

<ysbox> and i could use some support to keep the motivation up
<ysbox> if you find someone to work on the xbmc part while i'm on the links part
<ysbox> it should be ok

the reason i am posting is because of ysbox request that i help him find someone to work on the xbmc side of things while he works on linksboks.  i have asked that he put together a todo list of what needs to be done, he is considering this and if he does it, i will post it here as soon as i get it.

when he originally tried linking the libs, it produced 3 errors.  the screenshot you see was accomplished with a quick and dirty fix by editing the header files to make it work, for the integration we really want it to be done the clean way.  here is what ysbox said about what needs to happen with xbmc:

<ysbox> there's work on xbmc to integrate it better
<ysbox> what i made is just a quick test
<ysbox> but if we want things to get done the "clean" way we have to make it "control" in their gui lib
<ysbox> +a
<ysbox> that is, like a textbox, button or file list control
<ysbox> then we could include it in every single window we want, just be filling some values in the skin's xml

if that means anything to you and you are able to help out, we have an irc channel setup at irc.rizon.net #xbmcmeetslinks  ysbox is *usually* in the channel around 2:00pm est, if you catch him there, he will be able to tell you more specifically what he needs at this time.

that said, it is realized that this is not a heavily supported task we are trying to accomplish, this is not meant to be pushed on anyone in any way, it is a test, ysbox had said to me already that he is doing this because he wants to prove to himself that his library idea is good and will work.  we are hoping this evolves, but currently the goal is to get it stable and work from there.  he has also said he does not want to work against the official developers so if you guys are opposed, this will not be submitted as a patch.  the only thing i ask is that you give us a chance to make this work and see what comes out of it.  you can see we are not begging anyone to do all of the work, we are doing our best to get as much done as we can and as you all know, it takes time.  also, i realize that the developers have other priorities and other things on their list, if you can/want to help out in any way though, please get in touch either through a reply here, pm, visit to the channel, however you want, we would welcome any help.

alright, more progress today thanks to ysbox and his dedication.  britneyspairs threw some quick skin work together as well so we have a way to get into the browser without hacking through weather like we had been doing previously.  mind you this is still proof of concept, ysbox wants to hear feedback about his work.  he has taken care of the major memory leaks, it still leaks about a dozen kb, but it is stable for the most part now.  he has posted the source as well as a todo list on his wiki here:

ysbox wiki

he has also posted a video of it in action and working.  the video is before the skin work so the browser is still entered through the weather button.  check the video out here:

watch it in action!

a few last words for the evening from ysbox in our irc channel:

<ysbox> i don't code further into xbmc, because i'm not a xbmc coder
<ysbox> and i want to have the feedback of the team now to see if it'll have its chances to get in it before we go on
<ysbox> so we should get in touch with them asap
<ysbox> make them into the page, let them see the video and make their minds
<ysbox> anyway, its 4am here so we'll sort that out tomorrow
<ysbox> gnight

if you are going to put it together yourself to start helping out and testing, you can get the skin mod from:

bp's internet mod

and a few more screenshots for those of you who are interested in seeing it, but are not able to put it together.

homepage #1
homepage #2
browsing

please post your feedback, comments, etc.  we need help from somebody who is familiar with xbmc source to go further with the project.  we do not want to see any unofficial builds going around with this code so please refrain from redistributing any builds!  this is all being posted to get this done properly.  remember, please stop by our irc channel to see what is going on with the project as well.  the irc channel is at:

irc.rizon.net
#xbmcmeetslinks

thank you for your time and consideration.

regards,
los93sol
Quote:we do not want to see any unofficial builds going around with this code so please refrain from redistributing any builds!

there is no such thing as an official build period. every build is done by somone on the side.
i know only devs are supposed to reply in this subforum, but i just had to express my deepest gratitude for this initiative. i relly hope ysbox get the help he deserves from the xbmc devs.

keep it up! this rocks!
I'm the one currently maintaning the Norwegian translation. Please drop me a message if you find errors or room for improvement.
looks wonderful,
the white background behind the mem usage makes it impossible to see. what sort of usage do you see? memory is a major issue, and if a video was playing i doubt there would be enough left for the web browser (which could be a problem if it were to be intigrated into skins.)

i am most impressed though, dont be discouraged if you dont get a xbmc dev right away. i'm sure someone will take a look when they have time
i also put my $0.02 in... i hope a coder can help out. i'd love to see this work even if it is not officially supported.
I'm not an expert but I play one at work.
cheers for clearing that up wabidwoveren :tear:
hi,

:bowdown: great work :bowdown:

go on ! :kickass:
looking good to me.
--jaga
confirmed, all memory leaks are now cleared up 100% thanks to ysbox.

gui controls are under way thanks to our mystery programmer Wink

hopefully more updates tonight. we decided to move the irc channel to efnet so it is now located at:

efnet
#xbmcmeetslinks

we could always use some extra help because there is still quite a bit to do so if you are interested and are able to write code please drop by the channel, if nobody is active just leave a post and one of us will get back with you when we see it.

regards,
los93sol
firstly, i would like to announce to everyone following that the mystery programmer mentioned earlier in this thread would now like to be revealed ::::drum roll::::

geminiserver

he has been working on the gui/xbmc side of things while ysbox has been polishing the linksboks libs a bit.  britneyspairs has been helping out as well providing some images and a bit of skinwork, at this point he is still very limited to what he can do, but it is coming.

more updates today, i will let the images speak for themselves.  a picture is worth a thousand words!

that's all for tonight, more tomorrow!

regards,
los93sol
great!!!!! thank you so much!!!!!
:bowdown:
I'm the one currently maintaning the Norwegian translation. Please drop me a message if you find errors or room for improvement.
yummy!!! :thumbsup:
wow this is cool. i wish u guys good luck with this project  :thumbsup:
  • 1(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
LinksBoks (Links2Browser Web-Browser) integration into XBMC4