Any reason not to get Gateways A6 system ?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6883113188

Looks like it beats the hell out of the custom build, value-wise.

Only negative comment in the review is the PS is weak for crossfire

---------------------------------

So i grabbed this when it went down to $385 on the Egg. Little did i know Best Buy would list an identical model for $350, but with sales tax, it would only be $7 less.

First impressions:

Decent sized box, first thing i notice is the LED's on the front have to be taped over or disabled, way too bright.

The system itself seems to run fairly silently. Once it's in the media cabinet, i certainly won't hear anything over my projector anyway.

The only exception is the dvd burner, which sounds like a jet engine. I don't plan on using that much other than loading software, so it's a non-issue

Software:
No OS discs with this one, so i had to do the recover disc thing. Probably made a mistake doing this after windows update, as the recovery disc took 3 DVD's, but who cares, only doing this once. One more DVD for the App/driver backup and i'm done.

Not too much bloatware on this one, other than tool bars in internet explorer, which i don't use past loading firefox anyway.

Haven't started the XBMC load yet, but did load up VLC to try out streaming.
Watched a bit of a Bluray sourced MKV from my ReadyNAS and it played flawlessly.

Also loaded up Netflix webside, and other than some lead buffering to get HD going, this also worked well.

So far so good. I will update this as I load XBMC and get it configured, but for the price, I don't think you will get a more full-featured HTPC.

--

Finally got the system into the media cabinet
Lidless Eye Wrote:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6883113188

Looks like it beats the hell out of the custom build, value-wise.
I suggested the same PC to non-DIY users at several threads. The value is hard to beat, but it's harder for DIY person to make change to hardware and software. For standard user, it'll be a great HTPC at great price.

Lidless Eye Wrote:Only negative comment in the review is the PS is weak for crossfire
It's depending on what discrete GPU you crossfire it with. If you crossfire it with HD6450 or HD6570, 220W should be enough. Worse case, you can switch out the PSU too.
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
OK, sorry for the bump. This thing is down to $384 at the egg, which is a screaming deal. I usually go DIY, but i can't touch this price.
bump, added review to top post
Well I can think of one reason... it's out of stock
baldmosher™
Trying to save his marriage with a HTPC
Current system: TV unit, 37PFL5405H, Microserver N40L (as HTPC), Xbox360, BDP-S370, FoxsatHD, Azur 540Rv2, Keysonic 540RF, Harmony 300
Planned W7x64 AMD mATX (HT)PC build: Case, PSU, RAM, Mobo, CPU Total £240 + IR + HSF? + SSD?
baldmosher Wrote:Well I can think of one reason... it's out of stock
Well, it is cheaper ($349 shipped) from here- Gateway - Desktop / AMD A-Series Processor / 4GB Memory / 1TB Hard Drive.
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
Can you crossfire this system with one of these then ?
http://www.microcenter.com/single_produc...id=0363818
I tried to fInd a 6570 card but none that would fit a low profile slot.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Any reason not to get Gateways A6 system ?0