[LINUX] How does this build look?
This will be the first computer I'm building so go easy on me. I'm looking to build a HTPC for Christmas since a few people still want gift ideas from me and I figure I can use computer parts.

I'd like it to be able to handle 1080p easily and be somewhat future proof because I don't want to build a new one in two years. I'm planning to use XBMC over a minimal Arch Linux install with a virtual box running XP to get Netflix to work. I'd like it to handle Netflix in HD as well but if it won't be that's not a huge issue if it isn't.

I have an external 2TB hard drive that will be used for media storage. I've been doing quite a bit of research and it seems like the i3 will be able to handle everything fine without a discrete video card. I'll also need some sort of case fan I haven't picked one out so I'm open to recommendations. The max I'd like to spend is around $400, but $350 would be preferable. Thanks for any help.

Part list permalink / Part price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i3-2100 3.1GHz Dual-Core Processor ($99.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: ASRock H61M-GE Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($62.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($16.99 @ Newegg)
Hard Drive: OCZ Onyx 32GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Silverstone ML03B HTPC Case ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Antec 380W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($44.99 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: LG GH22NS90B DVD/CD Writer ($16.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $361.93
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
(Generated 2011-12-08 04:38 EST-0500)
Add a nvidia gt210 for linux. This video card allows you to turn on vdpau in xbmc and saves you cpu cycles.
Looks good. More than enough to handle 1080p. I would suggest Windows 7. your onboard graphics will be fine but there were some issues with sandy bridge and blue ray. Its called the 24p issue. But maybe they have it figured out by now.
Would the saved CPU cycles really be worth the added cost of the graphics card as well as powering it?

I'd like to avoid Windows for a number of reasons, mostly because all of the other computers on the network run Linux and because I don't have a Windows 7 license. I don't actually have any BDs so would the 24p thing still be an issue? Going to do some research about it now.
Read this thread (!) http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=109878&page=3
I am going for this combo: A core i3 2100 and a GT430. And for this reason:

Quote:With this setup, I'm hoping in the not-too-distant future to achieve nirvana. I.e. Full 1080p 24Hz video playback via DXVA on the GT430, with HD Audio Bitstreaming to my amp via the new AudioEngine, with support for playing back 3D blurays in full resolution by using PowerDVD as an external player for Bluray discs.

Source http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=90086

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] How does this build look?0