I need Hardware tips? Boxee Box is not up for the task.
Hi,

I have bought the Boxee Box but there is alot of problems with this unit and the suport is none exinsting.

Before Boxee Box I hade a Western Digital HDTV Live that still works great but it is nice to have the extra data about movies and the fine looking GUI that XBMC got. I have runned XBMC on my old XBOX years ago and was pleased with it.

Its hard to find a fully working solution today that offers these features.

I have loocked at Zotac nano, is this hardware enough? Is there a better choise in this price range?

BestRegards
I would recommend looking into OpenElec, which is a linux distribution that is specially designed to run XBMC on low end hardware. You can probably get a good idea at their forums of what the minimums are, but I understand that people have been pretty happy running it even on very low end machines.... just make sure you go with something that is supported.
My low end no frills solution was an Shuttle XS35GT barebone (with 4Gb RAM, an SSD and some HP IR receiver from ebay, plus Harmony remote).

It runs XBMC Live, standard skin, from the SSD and flawlessly playbacks 1080p streamed mkv's as well as streamed web tv (in my case above all the Swedish Television SVT Play).

It's not very cool and pretty, but fanless (=absolutely silent) and my solution to the aesthetic aspect was a home made behind-the-tv-furniture mount (i.e. I plain never see it). Only audio out is 2.0 HDMI or 3.5mm audio jack, so no surround.

My XS35 is v1 with Atom D510, but the version currently on the shelves is v2 with a D525.

Edit: It worked pretty much out of the box, only tweaking needed was a minor and very simple fix to activate the network driver.
HTPC: LibreELEC 7 on Shuttle XS35GTv2 & Raspberry Pi 3
NAS: NAS4Free 2x 3TB Raid1
No surround sound. Ick.
Shuttle XS35GT supports surround sound without any issues at all as will pretty much any ion based device.
prae5 Wrote:Shuttle XS35GT supports surround sound without any issues at all as will pretty much any ion based device.

I stand corrected... Rolleyes

To my defense I may add that I myself only use analogue 2.0 out and since the spec doesn't say anything about surround over digital, I kinda guessed it doesn't (but maybe it's just so that digital out is standard surround?).

Well, all in all good news for myself too Smile
HTPC: LibreELEC 7 on Shuttle XS35GTv2 & Raspberry Pi 3
NAS: NAS4Free 2x 3TB Raid1

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
I need Hardware tips? Boxee Box is not up for the task.0