aTV Flash (black) 1.1
Just for giggles, I loaded Firecore's latest release of their aTV Flash software on my aTV.... I read in their release notes that there were some playback improvements. I must say that I am very impressed with the media player this time around, as far as playback is concerned. It is playing back many of my TV shows (MythTV recording encoded with handbrake) that the previous version of their media player, and XBMC, had trouble with. It played the first 10 minutes of Alice in Wonderland (unencoded Bluray rip with Makemkv) without a hitch, where XBMC and Firecore's previous player could not get through the opening Disney Logo. I then tried Avatar (again unencoded Bluray rip with Makemkv) and it buffers every minute or so, then eventually comes up with a message that my network may be too slow to play the file... but it the periods where it played back, quality was fantastic. Of course, this is using SMB to transfer the files, so I expected some sort of networking issue, but this tells me that Firecore apparently found a way to squeeze a little more juice from this unit.

Has anybody else tried this with similar results? I am quite impressed, and I have higher hopes for what XBMC will be able to do with this little black box. (If Firecore can do it, Team-XBMC can do it better!)
"known issue", of sorts. FireCore is using a newer build of FFmpeg and I would imagin their GUI is less resource intensive. Maybe some other details that the devs would be able to explain better than I. Things like a new build of ffmpeg and making XBMC more efficient are indeed planned for XBMC's development.
Can you post a vid or impressions of the interface, is it smooth when in thumbnail view are the all loaded quickly, does it have a recently added section.

Thanks
uhmm, I think this is a XBMC atv2 support forum, not a, lets discuss all other players.....
what ned scott said
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
I should point out that FireCore and Team-XBMC are on very good terms and often help each other out. Hearing their success with their player is very welcome news.
Quote:"known issue", of sorts. FireCore is using a newer build of FFmpeg and I would imagin their GUI is less resource intensive.

Glad to know that not only are you guys aware of it, but also aware of how they achieved the extra performance. Has anyone compiled with newer FFmpeg (for their own testing/use, I understand about the feature freeze) and seen similar results? I would love to see if the extra boost in performance, coupled with NFS, could get Avatar to play.

Quote:Can you post a vid or impressions of the interface, is it smooth when in thumbnail view are the all loaded quickly, does it have a recently added section.

You can see what their GUI looks like on their webpage. With a fairly large library, thumbnail view was sluggish, and nowhere close to as nice or responsive as the XBMC gui (especially after turning on dirtyregions).

Quote:uhmm, I think this is a XBMC atv2 support forum, not a, lets discuss all other players.....

The idea was more to let people know that someone was able to squeeze more juice from the aTV, so there is still hope with XBMC (post-Eden) playing some of the files that it currently cannot handle.
sdsnyr94 Wrote:Glad to know that not only are you guys aware of it, but also aware of how they achieved the extra performance. Has anyone compiled with newer FFmpeg (for their own testing/use, I understand about the feature freeze) and seen similar results?

Its not that easy. There are over 60 patches (which teamxbmc and others did over the time) which have to be checked and maybe adapted to apply to a new ffmpeg version, before it can be compiled. But its on the plan for somewhen after eden - we want that extra neon boost for atv2 of course...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
Memphiz Wrote:Its not that easy. There are over 60 patches (which teamxbmc and others did over the time) which have to be checked and maybe adapted to apply to a new ffmpeg version, before it can be compiled. But its on the plan for somewhen after eden - we want that extra neon boost for atv2 of course...

Well, I am definitely looking forward to post-eden. Based on the improvements I saw from Firecore, XBMC running an updated FFmpeg+AudioEngine+NFS looks very promising.
Just wait till we enable the *garbled text* laser array *garbled text* free satellite tv tuner *garbled text* hidden processing cores *garbled text* and that's how I saved Christmas.
Memphiz Wrote:Its not that easy. There are over 60 patches (which teamxbmc and others did over the time) which have to be checked and maybe adapted to apply to a new ffmpeg version, before it can be compiled. But its on the plan for somewhen after eden - we want that extra neon boost for atv2 of course...

I'm not going to be very popular with this suggestion but still - it may be worth considering delaying release for a month or so, allowing this useful things to get to the stable release.
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

pecinko Wrote:I'm not going to be very popular with this suggestion but still - it may be worth considering delaying release for a month or so, allowing this useful things to get to the stable release.

sorry - never ... there is a live past eden too...
Memphiz Wrote:sorry - never ... there is a live past eden too...

beside that - 2 month might not be enough ... remember - xbmc has to run on multiple different plattforms - firecore only needs to support one...
pecinko Wrote:I'm not going to be very popular with this suggestion but still - it may be worth considering delaying release for a month or so, allowing this useful things to get to the stable release.

Sorry, not a chance Smile If we kept delaying for this or that, we would never push out a release.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
aTV Flash (black) 1.10