Best OS for XBMC Netbook
Hey,
I want to use XBMC on my Netbook but Win7 seems not to be the best choice here with only 2gb Ram.

Should I use Win7 anyway or maybe Linux or the Live Version?
Any restrictions with the different Versions or plugins?
depends on the hardware. Generally linux can be a lot lighter on HW requirements.
Only an old Atom 1,6.

I just installed the Live Version.
And I really like it cause I dont need anything besides XBMC.

I just dont know if the other Versions have any functionality that the Live doesnt have.

But whats with updates can I autoupdate they Live version or do I have to reformat everytime or instal manually?
An Atom 1.6 is plenty fast enough in itself, but you'll struggle with HD graphics unless you have something whizzy to help - CPU grunt alone isn't enough. So you're heavily dependent on your graphics card unless you go for something like the Broadcom h.264 decoder.

You can leave Live as it is, or update to the pre-Eden (development, work-in-progress) builds, or wait until Eden is released and an official, new Live CD is launched. Or you could look at Openelec. Either way, it's possible to upgrade without a re-format.
Whats the difference between Live and OpenELEC?

Live Version seems to work ok, fast boot and most of my Movies are < 1080p so no problem.

Right now my only problem is that I cant connect my TV @ 1080p but I create a seperate Thread for that.
basically OPENelec is much more smaller, only comes with the absolute necessary drivers and software, while live is basically Ubuntu without the ubuntu GUI. personally i run OPENelec, so much faster.
Ok tried OELEC and its running great.
Still problems with resolution but way faster.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Best OS for XBMC Netbook0