Is 180W enough for this
Greetings fellow xbmc users
This is low power consumption setup i want to buy before year ends.
CPU is obligatory - AES instructions and video included

Silverstone Lascala SST-LC10B
RAM - Corsair - haven decided which one yet - undervolted
CPU i5-661 undervolted
board - MSI H57-ED65
main HDD - 1x 64GB OCZ
Storage - 3x Samsung HD154UI 5400rpm (2 i have already)

the question is about PSU
i decided it will be a fortron flex but the only one i can get in my country is 180W.
I know about online power consumption calculators and they say it should be sufficient but maybe someone have experience.
Probably i will add one pci-e card - not sure yet it will be monitoring or satelite tv.
Here's my guess... It will probably work, most of the time. I bet you'll see occasional blue screens (for Win7 if you are going that route) that appear out of no where, and happen so randomly, that you will chase your tail looking for cause.

180W is kindof light for 4 disk drives, even though one is a SSD.

That's my guess... I had 5 drives running on a 380W PS without an issue, but it was temporary and if it crashed, I was expecting/deserving it.
im goin for a linux distro
its an eco drive - iddle ~4-5W
3x without any raid since data loss is not that important for me
and 75% of the time all hard drives (except ssd) will be off due to restricted spin down schedule - probably never all 3 will be up at same time.
im a bit concerned about spin up when whole system starts
Can you borrow a bigger PSU, measure the throughput on bootup, and then judge what you need from that? If you're going pico they are much more efficient so you could probably knock 10-20% off the total throughput from a bog-standard PSU with a 120mm fan or two.

Spec sheet says it supports "staggered spin up support" - will that help? Maybe worth reading up.
baldmosher™
Trying to save his marriage with a HTPC
Current system: TV unit, 37PFL5405H, Microserver N40L (as HTPC), Xbox360, BDP-S370, FoxsatHD, Azur 540Rv2, Keysonic 540RF, Harmony 300
Planned W7x64 AMD mATX (HT)PC build: Case, PSU, RAM, Mobo, CPU Total £240 + IR + HSF? + SSD?
Theory and practice are two different things. Wireless in theory should be fine for streaming HD video. That doesn't work good either.

It's probably the spin up that should be your concern. Doesn't Linux do some drive testing every so often at bootup to check drive health and whatnot?

It doesn't hurt to try? Can you afford to eat the cost of the PSU if it doesn't work?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Is 180W enough for this0