How to access my home server?
I installed XBMC on my iPad 3 today and everything seems to be working fine if im connected to my home network, but I'm wondering how do I set it up so I still have access to my media server from xbmc on my iPad if I leave and connect to wifi at another house or hotel or whatever.

Ive tried some apps that could do this like Air Video but I always have stuttering issues with them, I was hoping since xbmc can handle virtually every format natively that it would work better
Suttering issues in Air Video would mean the connection speed you are getting isn't very good. Since Air Video is transcoding the video to a smaller size, it should actually have a better chance at playing videos over the internet without stutter.

What you would need to do is set up something like an FTP or webDAV server on your computer and open the ports on your router. However, chances are your upstream connection isn't fast enough. Most ISPs give you tons of downstream bandwidth, but only a little upstream bandwidth.
You would think that is the case but with AirVideo it will not play 720p mkvs smoothly even on my own internal network where bandwidth should not be an issue, XBMC plays them fine. My UL speed is 5mbit and ive tried at bitrates well below that.

So I could set up FileZilla FTP server on the computer with my media and access it with XBMC that way?

edit: nevermind i got it working with FileZilla FTP Server, hopefully 5mbit upload will be enough to stream most of my stuff without a problem if I'm away from home

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How to access my home server?0