[AppleTV2] Problem with pathsubstitute for thumbnails
i think we have success Smile

XBMC.LOG SUCCESS (i think)

so now do i just start populating it by adding tv shows etc as normal and it will work?

i did a query and it created myvideos_58 and looks like its all set.

do i need to add myvideos_58 back to advanced settings now instead of xbmc_video?

picture of query

No, don't add anything back to the advancedsettings.xml. XBMC is managing the database names now. It will automatically create myvideos59 the next time there is a change in the database structure, and migrate your data to it.

Do another reboot so we can get a clean log without all the database junk. Don't populate the database yet. I want to see if your thumbnails substitution folder is working now. I'm doubting it will be.
Pillzbury Wrote:No, don't add anything back to the advancedsettings.xml. XBMC is managing the database names now. It will automatically create myvideos59 the next time there is a change in the database structure, and migrate your data to it.

Do another reboot so we can get a clean log without all the database junk. Don't populate the database yet. I want to see if your thumbnails substitution folder is working now. I'm doubting it will be.

ok yeah i noticed the thumbnail errors coming as well but didn't know what to do about them, was looking to do one thing at a time lol

heres the clean log

thanks for all the help with this i feel we are almost there

would deleting the thumbnails folder let it recreate them all on reboot?

i can filezilla in and delete if needed.
Okay, still no thumbnails. Your thumbnails folder is "smb://bowan-pc/Media/Thumbnails/"

First off, make sure permissions are correct on that folder. The way you have it set up now, you need to grant the guest account Full Access. You could alternatively replace:

<to>smb://bowan-pc/Media/Thumbnails/</to>

with

<to>smb://xxxxxx:YYYYYY@bowan-pc/Media/Thumbnails/</to>

where xxxxxx is the username of an account with full access to that folder and YYYYYY is the password to that account.

Second, I'd recommend changing it from bowan-pc to the ip address.

<to>smb://192.168.20.100</Media/Thumbnails/</to>

or

<to>smb://xxxxxx:[email protected]</Media/Thumbnails/</to>
Pillzbury Wrote:Okay, still no thumbnails. Your thumbnails folder is "smb://bowan-pc/Media/Thumbnails/"

First off, make sure permissions are correct on that folder. The way you have it set up now, you need to grant the guest account Full Access. You could alternatively replace:

<to>smb://bowan-pc/Media/Thumbnails/</to>

with

<to>smb://xxxxxx:YYYYYY@bowan-pc/Media/Thumbnails/</to>

where xxxxxx is the username of an account with full access to that folder and YYYYYY is the password to that account.

Second, I'd recommend changing it from bowan-pc to the ip address.

<to>smb://192.168.20.100</Media/Thumbnails/</to>

or

<to>smb://xxxxxx:[email protected]</Media/Thumbnails/</to>

ok thanks i'll try the username password thing, i just wasn't sure how to type it for smb shares. will report back in a few minutes with a fresh log.
ok doesn't look like the thumbnail errors are there any more,
are we all good now?
Everything looks good as far as I can tell. Check the Thumbnails folder at:

bowan-pc/Media/Thumbnails/

and see if it has new folders in it. (should have "0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,a,b,c,d,e,f,generated,music,video" folders all there.)

If so, then start importing media, and you should be good.

One thing to note, all XBMC boxes need to be running the same (or very close) versions. If you upgrade 1 box to a new nightly, upgrade them all. Keep a copy of whichever version you are running available in case you want to add a new box to the setup. Alternatively, you can add new box with the latest nightly, then upgrade all other boxes to match.

Also, keep your advancedsettings.xml in a sharedfolder. You can use it with each XBMC box without having to edit it.
frieten Wrote:ok doesn't look like the thumbnail errors are there any more,
are we all good now?

i think my second pathsubstitution is superfluious then ...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Pillzbury Wrote:Everything looks good as far as I can tell. Check the Thumbnails folder at:

bowan-pc/Media/Thumbnails/

and see if it has new folders in it. (should have "0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,a,b,c,d,e,f,generated,music,video" folders all there.)

If so, then start importing media, and you should be good.

One thing to note, all XBMC boxes need to be running the same (or very close) versions. If you upgrade 1 box to a new nightly, upgrade them all. Keep a copy of whichever version you are running available in case you want to add a new box to the setup. Alternatively, you can add new box with the latest nightly, then upgrade all other boxes to match.

Also, keep your advancedsettings.xml in a sharedfolder. You can use it with each XBMC box without having to edit it.

awesome thanks so much for the help, and yeah i plan on getting a few more ATV2s for around the house once i get this all setup. would you recommend i continue to upgrade the nightly's?

is there a way to auto upgrade them?

All working fine in terms of scanning media in now Smile logs look great and its going a million times quicker then before so i know its reading the .nfos etc now lol

Memphiz Wrote:i think my second pathsubstitution is superfluious then ...

so i should just remove it? i dont want to jinx anything lol if it aint hurtin....
what was this second pathsubstitution for? i didnt get that?
frieten Wrote:awesome thanks so much for the help, and yeah i plan on getting a few more ATV2s for around the house once i get this all setup. would you recommend i continue to upgrade the nightly's?

is there a way to auto upgrade them?

So i can just go ahead and add media as i would normally now and it should scrape them from the .nfos etc for all my custom content and populate my new database and be synced and ready to go ? SmileSmileSmile

so i should just remove it? i dont want to jinx anything lol if it aint hurtin....

You can safely remove the second substitution, although it isn't hurting anything.

Code:
<substitute>
                                                  <from>special://profile/Thumbnails</from>
                                                  <to>smb://bowan:********@bowan-pc/Media/Thumbnails/</to>
                                                </substitute>

In theory, you should just be able to scan it all into your database. In practice, you may run into errors. If so, post back for more help. I did all of this last night (or this morning depending on your definition) and once I got to the point you're at, the only problems I had was XBMC scraping the wrong show or episode info for a few items.

I've only had my ATV2 for about 48 hours, so I don't know much about it. I don't think there is an automated way to upgrade as of yet. You'll have to upgrade each one manually via SSH. It's really only 4 commands, so it's not terribly hard. I generally only update my XBMC about once every 1-2 months. The upside to the new database upgrade method is you *SHOULD* be able to upgrade, and then roll back to a previous working release should you have problems.
Pillzbury Wrote:You can safely remove the second substitution, although it isn't hurting anything.

Code:
<substitute>
                                                  <from>special://profile/Thumbnails</from>
                                                  <to>smb://bowan:********@bowan-pc/Media/Thumbnails/</to>
                                                </substitute>

In theory, you should just be able to scan it all into your database. In practice, you may run into errors. If so, post back for more help. I did all of this last night (or this morning depending on your definition) and once I got to the point you're at, the only problems I had was XBMC scraping the wrong show or episode info for a few items.

I've only had my ATV2 for about 48 hours, so I don't know much about it. I don't think there is an automated way to upgrade as of yet. You'll have to upgrade each one manually via SSH. It's really only 4 commands, so it's not terribly hard. I generally only update my XBMC about once every 1-2 months. The upside to the new database upgrade method is you *SHOULD* be able to upgrade, and then roll back to a previous working release should you have problems.

lol cool thanks man, learning together. if it scrapes everything locally i will be fine because every single piece of my media is accompanied with .nfos and all relating files either thru sickbeard, or that i've manually created myself.

if not we will see from there.

either way im alot further then i was 24hrs ago lol so your extra 24hr headstart has helped me immensely and hopefully this post will help others who have the same problem.
Maetrik Wrote:what was this second pathsubstitution for? i didnt get that?

something i'm not sure about if its still needed ... when i remember correct there where issues writing stuff via pathsubstitution without it (read was ok though) ... but this might just be a unneeded leftover in my settings...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
now i've got this all working on my atv, how do i go about doing this on my windows machine? do i just add the advancedsettings.xml to my windows xbmc setup with different paths?
frieten Wrote:now i've got this all working on my atv, how do i go about doing this on my windows machine? do i just add the advancedsettings.xml to my windows xbmc setup with different paths?

exactly ... find the userdata folder as stated in the wiki:

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Userdata

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[AppleTV2] Problem with pathsubstitute for thumbnails0