Database Versions
scudlee Wrote:If you're using mysql, you could always open up the mysql prompt and type
Code:
mysql> show databases;
The databases with the higher numbers will be the ones you're using.

Code:
mysql> show databases;
+--------------------+
| Database           |
+--------------------+
| information_schema |
| mysql              |
| performance_schema |
| test               |
| xbmc_music         |
| xbmc_video         |
+--------------------+
6 rows in set (0.00 sec)

What am I missing? Where are the numbers?
Sorry, I was under the impression that xbmc appended the version number onto the databases.

You could try:
Code:
mysql> use xbmc_video;
mysql> select idversion from version;
Something like that, SQL isn't exactly my strong suit.
scudlee Wrote:Sorry, I was under the impression that xbmc appended the version number onto the databases.

You could try:
Code:
mysql> use xbmc_video;
Something like that, SQL isn't exactly my strong suit.

it adds the version number on latest nightly ... buadhai has an outdated version running ...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
This worked:

Code:
+-----------+
| idversion |
+-----------+
|        56 |
+-----------+
1 row in set (0.00 sec)

Memphiz Wrote:it adds the version number on latest nightly ... buadhai has an outdated version running ...

So, it is time to upgrade every installation....
Buadhai Wrote:So, it is time to upgrade every installation....

Not every time, but DB version bumps happen often for development builds. Right now for pre-Eden we are done for that due to the feature freeze and Beta 1 coming out soon.

EDIT: read your statement wrong. Yes, now would be a good time to update all installations.
It would be nice if those DB version bumps were documented somewhere. (That's the question I asked in the OP.)

It is good that the version number is now appended to the MySQL table names. At least I now know what version my installations are using.

It would be better if the version used by the nightly builds were documented somewhere other than the source code (VideoDatabase.h). That way it would be easy to tell whether or not one can upgrade a single installation or if DB harmony requires all installations to be updated.

BTW - I did upgrade all three of my XBMC installations this morning:
Code:
mysql> show databases;
+--------------------+
| Database           |
+--------------------+
| information_schema |
| mysql              |
| performance_schema |
| test               |
| xbmc_music         |
| xbmc_music18       |
| xbmc_video         |
| xbmc_video58       |
+--------------------+
8 rows in set (0.01 sec)

But now I've got two music and two video DBs. Is that normal?
General rule of thumb for nightlies and MySQL is: ALWAYS use the same nightly build on all XBMC devices that want to use MySQL.

That's why these are developer builds. Things change fast, daily, and sometimes break things. They're not for general consumption. That being said, documentation is a community effort normally done via the XBMC wiki. If someone wants to take up the task of documenting DB versions in the future, that would be the place to do it, but someone has to volenteer for the job. DB bumps are normally mentioned in the github commit summaries, if you watch each one.
Buadhai Wrote:But now I've got two music and two video DBs. Is that normal?

Yep. One is the original untouched DB incase something went wrong or you want to use your previous version. If everything is fine on the newer updated DBs then you can remove the older ones if you want, but I would keep them as a backup until Eden final comes out.
Ned Scott Wrote:That's why these are developer builds. Things change fast, daily, and sometimes break things. They're not for general consumption.

Which is why I normally do not bother with beta versions or developer builds.

But, I have an AppleTV2, the Wiki for which says:

Wiki - HOW-TO: Install XBMC on Apple TV 2 Wrote:Do not use the Cydia build without updating to the nightly builds as it is no longer supported.

So, once I followed that advice and went down the "nightly" path with the ATV2 I was pretty much forced to follow suit with my ATV1 and Mac.

In other words and unless I'm missing something, anyone with an ATV2 and a shared MySQL DB must use nightly builds on all of their installs in order to keep DB versions harmonized.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Database Versions1