Subtitles for .m4v files
Hi... Discovered this app last night and it's amazing,,,, even if quirky (I live in South America and had to set my region in settings to Central Europe to get the weather to display in Celsius - not intuitive at all).

My main issue is that I live in a multi-lingual household and need to transcode and subtitle movies so my family can understand them... I found (as is also the case with Movist) that subtitle playback in m4v movies simply isn't happening (where the subs are hard-coded with iSubtitle for example). The option is checked and the appropriate language etc selected... but no show...

Once hard-coded they even play back on Quictime 10,,, which is am amazing result in itself... but no issues with mlayer, VLC etc. I'd love to be able to 'do it all' from within xbmc......
There is a ticket on trac for this. Subtitles don't work when they are inside mp4's

A solution is to keep the subtitle file separe to the m4v.

Flirc now has a forum: forum.flirc.tv
I raise this issue as I wish to reduce clutter system wide and not add to it... Hard-coded subs work in VLC, mPlayer and even in Quicktime (where seperate they do not) ... can they not be made to work within XBMC.....

I think it's a fair question and since it is open-source am sure someone might want to look at the possibility

There seems to be no consistency on any platform where it comes to viewing movies with Subtitles.... totally hit and miss....
Hard-coded means something different, the words are "burned in" the video stream.

I think you mean muxed where there is a subtitle track within the container (that can be toggled on/off).

Only mp4 (m4v) containers aren't supported - if you were remux in an mkv container (mkvmerge) they'd work.
Hi Live4Ever...

yes I did mean muxed.... you are corrrect in that. I have specific reason for using m4v also as opposed to mkv - Quite simply the H264 codec works much better performance-wise on Mac than mkv... and also file sizes are significantly smaller with no noticable loss in image quality. MKV playback is jumpy as hell, worse still on windows where it looks as though it's dropping frames...

Looks as though I won't be able to use this app in the long term for viewing movies after all... I need a player that will work cross platform and display muxed subtitles. What baffles me all the more here is that xbmc actually identifies the subs as being present and even the language they're in... just won't display 'em...

Dissappointing!

... on to the next player it would seem or simply stick with VLC...
H.264 = video format
Mkv = container format
Mp4 = container

H.264 can be put in mkv or mp4

Also you could put the subtitles for all you films and tv in one folder and tell XBMC to look there.

Would seem stupid to use Vlc cos you couldnt keep separate subtitle files.

Flirc now has a forum: forum.flirc.tv
zooreka Wrote:Hi Live4Ever...

yes I did mean muxed.... you are corrrect in that. I have specific reason for using m4v also as opposed to mkv - Quite simply the H264 codec works much better performance-wise on Mac than mkv... and also file sizes are significantly smaller with no noticable loss in image quality. MKV playback is jumpy as hell, worse still on windows where it looks as though it's dropping frames...

Looks as though I won't be able to use this app in the long term for viewing movies after all... I need a player that will work cross platform and display muxed subtitles. What baffles me all the more here is that xbmc actually identifies the subs as being present and even the language they're in... just won't display 'em...

Dissappointing!

... on to the next player it would seem or simply stick with VLC...

No. I'm a lifetime mac user and it makes zero difference which container it is in. Also the file size isn't any smaller. h.264 is the codec the video is in. That's what the actual video data is in. MKV and MP4 and M4V are literally containers. They do not change the file size at all. The video data can be byte-for-byte the same. It has nothing to do with the container and everything to do with the encoding and settings used. It also helps to have a player that uses OSX's hardware video acceleration, which most players lack. I'm guessing that is where your issue is coming up. XBMC should have no issue on Mac OS X playing h.264 in MKVs or M4Vs.

I'm also watching an m4v video with subtitles in XBMC right now, and the subs work just fine. Must have been fixed in a nightly build. Check out http://mirrors.xbmc.org/nightlies/osx/xb...r-i386.dmg (the last nightly before we go to Beta 1 for v11)
Looks like this "3GPP/TX3G (aka MPEG-4 Timed Text) Subtitle support" was added back in July

https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/commit/ce42...f7c2fdea20

So it should be in the nightly builds. I haven't got any m4vs with timed text to test but it should work (like Ned said).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Subtitles for .m4v files0