Install as a Christmas gift
Hi Everyone,

I apologize because I did try searching, but I'm very new and need some help. My goal is to build an XBMC system for my brother as a surprise Christmas gift.

Ultimately I'd like to wrap up a USB key and have him be able to plug and play (Obviously I would access his computer beforehand to make sure everything is setup)...my question is how do I set this up? And is it even possible?

I've been running mediaportal on my own system for about a year but it is a pain in the butt to setup for someone else. I know XBMC is much better and once this is completed with my brother, I'll be switching my system over too.

He currently has a higher end computer with plenty of storage. So my options could be to somehow create a partition on one of his existing drives (Can you do this without deleting data?) or use the USB key as the OS.

It would be pretty cool if he could just plug the USB key in, and voila he is up and running.

Any help would be appreciated...

Thanks,
Tim
I assume he will be installing this on Windows since this is the windows thread. Anyway, it can be installed like any other program. Download the installer from xbmc.org and run it.

On the other hand if you want you can install XBMC Live or OpenELEC on a usb key. Then set the bios to boot directly to the thumb drive. Will he have a dedicated HTPC or will this be a desktop w/ XBMC installed? If its the latter then I suggest just installing it in windows.

Just remember, XBMC is nothitng without media. Maybe you should buy him a few movies since this is a gift. Unless he doesn't now XBMC is freeLaugh
How to use Git
| AMD Athlon II X3 Triple Core Processor 2.9 GHz |GIGABYTE GA-MA785GM-US2H Mobo 2GB DDR2 Ram | MSI N430GT |
| Logitec Harmony Smart Control Remote| 52" Sharp Aquos LED TV | Denon AVR-X1000 |
| Freenas Server with 18TB ASRock Intel Avoton C2750 |
Hey thanks for the reply...this will be his desktop so I think for this reason I'd just download xbmc and run it...I'm testing it on my wife's laptop now and having a really hard time setting it up properly...
tibz35 Wrote:I'm testing it on my wife's laptop now and having a really hard time setting it up properly...

give a look at [WIP] XBMC Beginners Guide (PDF)
My name is Erier, Humf Erier

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Install as a Christmas gift0