[LINUX] XBMC performance tuning & related questions
Hi,

I'm new to running XBMC on a dedicated Linux box (I've previously just used my windows laptop connected to TV). I just built an HTPC out of leftover components (specs listed below) I had when I updated my main computer. I decied to run Ubuntu 11.10 instead of XBMC live or Openelec on it because I figured I could use the hardware compatibility and might occasionally have use for proper desktop environment as well.

I know that ATI and Linux are generally not a recommended combination. And I noticed that at least full HW acceleration with shaders doesn't seem to work. I also noticed that on default settings 1080p video can be a bit jerky, and CPU load on both cores is very high, around 70-80% (It generally runs well at 24fps, but with lots of movement, when I think VBR encoded video is using a higher bitrate, I get occasional stutters).

So I was wondering if anyone has any tips for performance optimization in my case? Or if you can point to some resources related to this, I'd be grateful.

Could it make a difference if I upgraded to an NVidia GPU which would support all HW acceleration options? If so, what kind of GPU would you recommend? I've been thinking I might want to get a GPU with passive cooling anyway, to make the box a bit more silent.

Specs:
- Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2,4GHz (One of the first core 2 duos released in 2007)
- ATI Radeon X1950
- 6 GB DDR2 RAM

Any help and tips on this matter would be appreciated Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] XBMC performance tuning & related questions0