• 43(current)
How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs
Okay. Heard many times about releases greater than 12.1 bring such high loads. Could never reproduce that myself. You could file a bug at the inofficial bugtracker (http://ati.cchtml.com). I hope someones reads these bugs at all :-(

wsnipex had the same problem some time ago. He fixed it with purging the old fglrx installation and installing catalyst 12.4 from scratch iirc.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Thanks wsnipex & fritsch got it sorted. The only problem now is that both shutdown and restart options will only exit xbmc.
@weemaaan
create the file /etc/polkit-1/localauthority/50-local.d/custom-actions.pkla
with the following content:
Code:
[Actions for xbmc user]
Identity=unix-user:xbmc
Action=org.freedesktop.upower.*;org.freedesktop.consolekit.system.*;org.freedesktop.udisks.*
ResultAny=yes
ResultInactive=yes
ResultActive=yes

And to make it complete, if you want to mount and umount usb sticks, that are connected during a xbmc sessions
do:
Code:
sudo adduser xbmc users

and create the file /etc/udev/rules.d/11-media-by-label-auto-mount.rules
Code:
# Start at sdb to avoid system harddrive.
KERNEL!="sd[b-z][0-9]", GOTO="media_by_label_auto_mount_end"

# Import FS infos
IMPORT{program}="/sbin/blkid -o udev -p %N"

# Get a label if present, otherwise specify one
ENV{ID_FS_LABEL}!="", ENV{dir_name}="%E{ID_FS_LABEL}"
ENV{ID_FS_LABEL}=="", ENV{dir_name}="usbhd-%k"

# Global mount options
ACTION=="add", ENV{mount_options}="relatime"
# Filesystem-specific mount options
ACTION=="add", ENV{ID_FS_TYPE}=="vfat|ntfs", ENV{mount_options}="$env{mount_options},utf8,gid=100,umask=002"

# Mount the device
ACTION=="add", RUN+="/bin/mkdir -p /media/%E{dir_name}", RUN+="/bin/mount -o $env{mount_options} /dev/%k /media/%E{dir_name}"

# Clean up after removal
ACTION=="remove", ENV{dir_name}!="", RUN+="/bin/umount -l /media/%E{dir_name}", RUN+="/bin/rmdir /media/%E{dir_name}"

# Exit
LABEL="media_by_label_auto_mount_end"

Now Reboot.

Shutdown, logout, suspend, etc. should be fine afterwards. Also mounting and umount of usb drives should now be possible.

@wsnipex:
Perhaps we should add this into the howto? As the polkit console commands are not there anymore?
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Fritsch, still the same but now on start up xbmc will load then quit and load up again. I think I will try with a fresh install tomorrow and see if that will iron out any kinks.
@weemaaan
Yeah, it really sucks that the only part, that can go wrong is the catalyst installation :-). Btw. does Shutdown and Usb-Stick mount work with the above files?
added the polkit stuff to the howto. Tried to add the udev rules too, but that would make the post >10000 chars, which is the max :S
Instead I put a link to the post here,
@fritsch, just did a fresh install following the guide inc your new additions and it's working fine now. Thanks
Hi there!
for anyone who had updated from 11.10 to lts via do-releasupgrade
make sure u readd the right ppa from wsnipex.
and do an apt-get updated && apt-get upgrade

to make sure u install the RIGHT xvba reade XBMC

12.04 seem to have an own XBMC in their repos which will force an installation of it within the update process.
So U have to reinstall th xvba ppa.

after that the cpu is down @ 25% as bevor in 11.10 ubuntu

the high cpu utilization befor ist a result of the use of non pached XBMC

greetz from germany
My older system was ASrock ION 330 - and SAMSUNG 46B6000 TV. I used XBMC live - VDPAU with studio level conversion (RGB low), and HDMI black level "low" on the TV - and everything was fine.
But now I switched to ASrock E350 Brazos system with VAAPI - and seems, the studio level RGB conversion didn't works - HDMI low level is grayed out on TV.
There is no RGB "low" . That meens, there is no real black.
My question is: Is it the same for all of E350 users - and is there any solution?
Sorry for my english - greetings from Hungary
Afaik Vdpau studio level is a reduced colorspace(16-235)

ati supports various color levels. At least: RGB 4:4:4, 4:2:2 and YcbCr 4:4:4 and 4:2:2
it can be changed in amdccle and maybe also via aticonfig.
YcbCr 4:4:4 might be what you want.

But a lot of TVs support full RGB(often called PC mode) or even Yuv. If not, adjust brightness and saturation.
Anyone know why mine gives a blank video screen when showing accelerated video with xbva on.

I'm on 12.04 with the ubuntu installed amd driver. and the Eden stable build.

When I turn off xvba then everything works.
Do you run it out of a full ubuntu session? If yes, please use a direct xbmc session. You can logout and find the
xbmc session, cause it does not play nice with compiz and stuff.

If all of the above is not the case, please supply a logfile with debugging turned on.
(2012-05-09, 19:36)fritsch Wrote: Do you run it out of a full ubuntu session? If yes, please use a direct xbmc session. You can logout and find the
xbmc session, cause it does not play nice with compiz and stuff.

If all of the above is not the case, please supply a logfile with debugging turned on.

Yeah but it' doesn't always happen. I tried on a 1080p sample that tends to do it and it worked both on top of unity and as a xbmc session. I'll try and recreate it again and keep the logs running?

I didn't think it would be a problem since I clicked enable "Unredirect Fullscreen Window" in Compiz Config Settings Manager.
See the first page of this thread.
I did this when I first setup Ubuntu 12.04 i thought it told compwiz not to interfere with xbmc

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=XBM..._with_XBMC
  • 43(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs23