• 57(current)
How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs
@DavidGGG:
Concerning your audio issue: DTS, AC3 will work fine. DTS-HD won't work - it does in no xbmc version and in no other application on linux as fglrx only provides two channels, which is only enough to "code" Dolby DTS and AC3 into it.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
@x0149128
Quote:Catalyst 12.6 doesn't support the hd6290. No i don't have a 5.1 system.

It does. You only have to overwrite /etc/ati/control with the one from 12.4 or 12.6b. See some pages behind, i wrote a howto.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Gents,

Everything working very well because of you guys, thanks so much.

My only question/issue....Can I universally reduce the overscan? I have set it for some resolutions 1080p/24, 1080p60 via the XMBC gui, but I still play videos that cause overscan and therefore the progress bar, etc. are most off the screen. Or do I just have to use the XBMC gui to adjust every possible video format? I used Ubuntu mini install so I am using lightdm and boot right into XBMC. Do I have to boot into lightdm and use the ATI gui, or preferrably can I run the aticonfig command to adjust it? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
see 1st post in the howto
I'd really love to get AirPlay going on my Ubuntu Fusion based HTPC! I noticed that you repo (wsnipex) doesn't include the libshairport lib. Is there a way you can include this in your repo?

I've tried installing the official build and AirPlay worked brilliantly (music) but I lost the hardware acceleration capabilities. I can't live without those, but AirPlay is just so awesome...!
(2012-07-13, 15:15)fritsch Wrote: @DavidGGG:
Concerning your audio issue: DTS, AC3 will work fine. DTS-HD won't work - it does in no xbmc version and in no other application on linux as fglrx only provides two channels, which is only enough to "code" Dolby DTS and AC3 into it.

That's really odd. I was about to reply "it seems to work for me!" but first I thought I'd try it again with something known to be DTS-HD... and hey-presto, silence.

Luckily I'd also retained the plain DTS track...

I think the DTS-HD stuff was passed-through happily by Plex on OSX (and probably XBMC on OSX) - which would make sense if the thing blocking it is that fglrx library dependency on Linux. I've just switched back to XBMC/Linux and yeah, this doesn't work.
(2012-07-13, 15:15)fritsch Wrote: @DavidGGG:

Has AMD plans to change this?
Does fglrx on windows have more than 2 channels?
So new xbmcAudioEngine for linux+amd makes no sense?
Does it with linux+nvidia?

Quote:The other thing: I investigated the long resume time on a fresh Ubuntu install (see post 774) by disabling/unloading LAN and Audio (was impossible to unload USB but I disabled it in BIOS), that didn't help. Only remaining driver to try to unload is radeon, I managed to replace it with vesa but then resume doesn't work at all. With my limited knowledge of Linux this indicates the issue is due to the graphics driver (what else?). And since fast resume time is a requirement for a good HTPC I thought this might be the proper place to mention this after all. I also started an Ubuntu thread but got nowhere there so far. And the issue is the same with an XBMC session. And resume time is even longer with XBMC-Xvba + fglrx + Linux Mint. Can anyone here with Fusion board confirm the long resume time?

you should uninstall radeon if you use fglrx.
I have fusion+opensSuse and no problem with suspend to ram. sometimes problems with suspend to disk (hangs randomly on reinitializing X). do you mean suspend to ram or disk with resume?
suspend to disk is pretty fast here but because of ssd I guess Wink
Fusion E-350, 4 GB RAM, SSD, openSUSE Tumbleweed 64bit KDE, Mesa-10.2.3, latest stable Kernel, XBMC FernetMenta-Git
@tomtomme:
AMD does not communicate with us in a deterministic way, nor do they make timelines. Fglrx on windows works create :-) Basically they have all the features we are missing here on linux.

New Audio Engine makes sense as a lot of things internally have improved - but it is not as stable as you would like to have it. Nvidia does - to my knowledge - support this kind of audio.

It is always the old problem: The binary blob is not really great and despite one real fix since last September, we got an ASIC hang introduced after 12.2 :-). I don't want to blame AMD that hard, i found some great people while doing XVBA and this would not have been happened, if all their drivers would be perfect :-)

So: It is work in progress.
@tomtomme,

thanks for the input. I suppose this means you have the normal 3 to 5 seconds resume time from suspend-to-RAM (pm-suspend or from within XBMC). I have 17 seconds with plain Ubuntu and I think it was 22 seconds with Linux Mint + XBMC-XVBA. I also tried s2ram with various options. I will try later your suggestion to unload/block radeon driver while using fglrx. Slightly off-topic perhaps but seems to be related to graphics driver and the readers here propbably often want fast resume time so I think it's good it is mentioned here.
Hi

About a year ago I moved my xbmc environment from my windows 7 pc to my linux server running ubuntu 10.10 both with the same radeon 4350 card.

My experience on windows was great, has been traumatic on ubuntu. About 40% of my movies played with bad artifacts.

I thought this was down to the 264 5.1 issues, spotted message on first post saturday morning stating issue is now fixed. Decided to update my driver (was using 11.11), which I spent the rest of my weekend in to the early hours to sort out ubuntu upgrade to 12.04

Finally got xbmc running again with xvba, tested my movies and found some are now working, but still a good 15% not working. Checked with media info, and not one of them are 264 5.1, a few are the 4.1 others are AVC, all played fine on the windows driver.

Another problem I had was dropped frames every minute or so, cpu loads were 30%-40%.

Ignoring the dropped frames, would you expect xbmc-xvba to have problems with approx 15% of movie rips on average?

I am using the 12.6 legacy drivers on the eden repository builds in ubuntu 12.04 running 32bit. Would this driver/setup include the fix for 264 5.1 ?

Mentioned earlier, compiz should be disabled. I couldn't find anyway to disable it, I tried disabling options in the compiz manager, but that just screwed up my system. Have managed to get it running again, but may need to re-install ubuntu again to clean it all up. How do you disable compiz on 12.04?

I think compiz is not used if I use the unity 2d or the gnome classic (no special effects) gui login options, please could you confirm that?

I have checked hardware accelleration is working, if I disable, the movies lose the artifacts, but don't play smoothly.

I really need to get this sorted, and am very tempted to move back to windows. Just my harddrives are ext formatted, and I don't have any cash to fork out on a new hard disk to transfer the data to ntfs.

Thanks for all your great work,

Thanks,
Paul
@pjxbmc:
I think you are running the eden version of xbmc-xvba, is this correct? In later versions we included a fix for common but terribly wrong encoded [email protected] files. So basically these files say: "Hey I am 4.1@high and I have 16 Reframes". This is wrong by spec. With later versions we detect this and change the Level to 5.1@high.

Could you retry with this ppa:
Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:wsnipex/xbmc-xvba
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install xbmc xbmc-bin

This ppa is work in progress, but should make these videos work. You have to recheck your Audio Settings as this version includes the new Audio Engine - which has some bugs. I will backport the CheckfaultyLevel41 patch to eden tonight.

Let's see if wsnipex wants to build new packages from this ancient version.

Edit: And please supply a mediainfo of this file in question.
Edit2: PR in progress https://github.com/FernetMenta/xbmc/pull/58 - But please pastebin the mediainfo output.
I've installed xbmcbuntu-11.9-wsnipex-testing-v2.iso and this really is the first install where I've had everything working out of the box on my AMD Fusion E350 board (including my TP Link USB WiFi Adapter which I cant seem to get to work with Openelec. However, as mentioned earlier in the thread I too am having issues with high CPU usage with one core frequently hitting the 100% mark on idle and also issues with it suddenly freezing in the menu screens that requires a restart. I'd love to get this working for me and would appreciate any advice. While I'm a developer working with computers for quite a while, I'm a Linux newbie so would appreciate all the help I can get.

I've tried many Linux options including XBMC on Ubuntu, XBMCbuntu (non XVBA and this one), Openelec (for Fusion Beta), and this 11.9 release and the Openelec Fusion are the only two that work great but I have this issue with the 11.9 and non working WiFi on the Openelec (also I'm weirdly not able to sign up at their forums for some reason)

I'm using a Foxconn AHD1S-K E350 motherboard with 4GB of RAM and a Kingston 32GB SSD.
@skiddyrow
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1149801
@skiddyrow:
The patch FernetMenta referenced has been pushed to wsnipex latest testing packages. You can try them there.
@FernetMenta - Thanks! Not sure what to do with this information but will search and try before I post back! [EDIT] What I meant was that I checked the link and I'm not entirely sure how to apply the patch. @fritsch - I dont see an updated ISO so I'm guessing I cant just create a new bootable stick and install?
  • 57(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs23