• 63(current)
How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs
After the update yesterday i have a extrem high cpu use and everything takes very long to open.
Any hint what i can do to fix this? The log looks normal.
(2012-07-27, 10:31)fritsch Wrote: Btw. If someone has a real good idea on how we could make this thread more readable. I would be thankful.

I actually started a topic on the subject of too long threads a month ago.. Most of what is written there are things that require some php work. But one relatively easy fix might be if you were allowed to expand you first post so that it summarizes the thread even better. I saw you said the number of characters is limited but that I think should be possible to change either in the forum admin settings or by a simple php hack.

I'm glad you acknowledge the problem though. I am an unusually stubborn person and I think that it was it takes to actually read all of this thread - I think most people just won't. And don't get me wrong, I really appreciate the work and helpfulness of fritsch and friends. But the thread is gigantic and it gets in the way of its usefulness. Anyway, I don't think it should be debated in this thread, but feel free to discuss it e g in the one I started.
(2012-07-27, 15:19)wsnipex Wrote: @ernham: you probably should switch to the stable ppa xbmc-xvba
it has the same features as testing, but only gets verified packages. Testing can always contain major bugs, as its build directly from master without prior tests.

We still appreciate advanced users on testing helping us track down bugs, but for the average guys it might break stuff.

I used the normal packages in this release Wink but thanks for pointing it out!
wsnipex I've been using the unstable build on an old pc with ati hd3650 agp 8x card. up until I started to mess around with pvr I found no real problems with your build and was wondering why the xvba part is not in the master code.

I installed tvheadend on a media server I have built and can access it from a laptop and it runs perfectly fine but trying it on my old pc it runs fine until I load a HD channel, no matter what I do after watching 1 HD channel whatever HD video (streamed/saved file/TV channel) I choose it will always fail to load the video either looping a second of the previous HD channel or showing Green 'junk' on screen and this will happen with all HD content until I restart the pc.

All I can think this is related to is the xvba driver as it only happens when that is active. I'm taking a big guess at it's probbably not clearing the graphics card once closing a channel properly is causing it to crash.
wsnipex went on holidays and I have to represent him for the next 5 days till I go to hoildays myself :-). As my job is really demanding at the moment, I won't be able to respond in the usal frequent manner.

@freakwenc:

xvba is meant to be merged into xbmc upstream, but a lot of things have to happen, so that we (especially fernetmenta) can do this: X11 changes, player changes, vdpau changes, xvba changes - and don't forget we are still waiting for xvba-sdk 0.75 to implement mpeg-2 and mpeg-4 VLD support.

Concerning your tvheadend problem:
1.) Could you please pastebin a xbmc.log with debugging turned on?
2.) "xvba driver" <- we don't need this special driver xvba-va-driver, xvba-video, xvba-driver (or whatever they are called) anymore as we are directly using what AMD ships with their drivers libamdxvba.so. We also patched the old way VAAPI.c so that xvba is used right away when compiled in to make it easier for the users.

@Hotz87:
Can you recheck your VSync Settings? I asked several xvba users including myself and none could reproduce the 100% Load with the latest packages. Sometimes it helps to completely purge fglrx and reinstall it (the windows way).

In the time wsnipex won't be here, there will be no updated xbmc-xvba-testing packages. Happy Holidays to all.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Hi,

I would like to ensure something about 5.1Level Video with ATI's driver and i am looking for a video sample in 5.1 that is known not to work without the option (sudo aticonfig --set-pcs-u32=MCIL,HWUVD_H264Level51Support,1), anyone can help ?

I observed something strange in my installation, when is set Level5.1 support and grep /etc/amdpcsdb, i can find the key set "HWUVD_H264Level51Support=V1"

But each time the Xsession is restarted, the amdpcsdb is automatically updated and the key does not exist anymore...so i am not sure it really works...

I have mkv encoded in 5.1Level (i see it with mkvinfo) but they perfectly work with or without the ATI key set.

Thks for you help ^^
@guilmxm:
You have to make sure, that no X is running when you change this value. If you followed the howto:
Code:
1.) sudo service lightdm stop
2.) sudo aticonfig --set-pcs-u32=MCIL,HWUVD_H264Level51Support,1
3.) sudo service lightdm start

Should do all what you need.

Samples are here:
a) http://dl.dropbox.com/u/55728161/killa.sampla.x264.mkv
b) http://dl.dropbox.com/u/55728161/Clannad...NCOPv2.mkv
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Hi

I try to make audio to output on all (or at least on HDMI and Analog) devices in stereo in the same time. I have and asound.conf from an Nvidia system, where it works perfectly, but on the Zacate system there is a delay between HDMI and Analog playback.

Even when I choose one or the other separately, analog out is not in sync with video.

Does anyone have a working asound.conf for this problem?
@fritsch

Thank you very much for you help i appreciate, i'll try that as soon as possible ^^
@fritsch

I have tested and it works like a charm, in deed X11 has obligatory to be stopped before applying the L5.1 ATI key... i'll pay attention to that ^^
And provided video sample confirmed my test.

Thks again Smile
edit: everything here is now resolved! Turned out I that my Hamony-remote was responsible for XBMC exiting, and Airplay was fixed by installing avahi-daemon.

I'm running the xbmc-xvba-build on an AD10.
Due to a Yamaha receiver which doesn't relay correct EDID from the TV (and the ATI-drivers not being overly impressed with that fact), I have to run a HDMI-cable straight from the AD10 to the TV. This is fine until i decide to change input on the TV which causes XBMC to crash to the desktop.
The log doesn't produce anything of interest, so it's hard to track down exactly what causes this.
Is this a known problem, and is there a fix for this? Needless to say it's getting quite tiresome having to restart XBMC manually every time I've used my TV for anything else.

I used this guide to set up my system:
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW...th_AMD_GPU

Also, I can't for the life of me get Airplay to work. I've ticked all the boxes, and the log indicates that Airplay-support is running, but none of the devices I've tried detects the HTPC. I've installed libshairport1 alongside XBMC.

For reference I'm running on a Zotac AD10, Catalyst 12.6 driver, and the latest build of xbmc-xvba. I can check the version number after work if it's needed.

Thanks
@skeletorjus

Hi, for your airplay issue, i had some trouble recently i think because of an upgrade, i advise you to:

- enable debug airplay by adding this line into your ~/.xbmc/userdata/advancedsettings.xml

<enableairtunesdebuglog>1</enableairtunesdebuglog>

- ensure you installed avahi-daemon and libshairport, and that avahi-daemon is running:

sudo apt-get install avahi-daemon libshairport1
sudo service avahi-daemon status

- deactivate and reactivate airplay service and check xbmc log, if you see:

ERROR: Unable to load libshairport.so.0, reason: libshairport.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Then you have to apply this:
cd /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/ && sudo ln -s libshairport.so.1.0.0 libshairport.so.0

and deactivate / re-activate and re-test.

Have you activated UFW as the firewall in your system ? (sudo ufw status) if you did and haven't authorized your local network it could off course prevent your device from being seen by your iphone/ipad

(2012-07-31, 10:43)guilmxm Wrote: @skeletorjus

Hi, for your airplay issue, i had some trouble recently i think because of an upgrade, i advise you to:
[...]
You're a legend!
I was missing the avahi-daemon, and installing it fixed it! Thanks a bunch!

In a moment of clarity I actually figured out the other problem as well. It was actually the Harmony remote that, when switching activity, sent out a command to shut down the AD10 by default - which in reality just closes XBMC. So it actually behaved as it should. After reconfiguring the remote to not turn on or off the AD10 everything is perfect!
@skeletorjus

You're welcome, Great you resolved both of your issues Big Grin

Could you share your audio AD10 configuration please if you have a 5.1 (or more) sound system connected ? (i installed recently for someone an AD10 but without a 5.1 sound system behind so i could only test using 2.0 using HDMI)

- Systems sounds are working ? as well as any other 2.0 or 5.1 source ?
- Content of your ~/.asoundrc
- Configuration in XBMC (audio type, audio device and passthrough)

Thks a lot Cool
Please support my Blog, XBMC and Linux related :-)
http://youresuchageek.blogspot.com
(2012-07-31, 16:54)guilmxm Wrote: Could you share your audio AD10 configuration please if you have a 5.1 (or more) sound system connected ? (i installed recently for someone an AD10 but without a 5.1 sound system behind so i could only test using 2.0 using HDMI)
I actually sort of addressed my sound setup in my original post, but decided to leave it out because I didn't find it relevant.
Unfortunately (for both of us) I ended up just using analog sound. The reason for this is the damn Yamaha receiver. Long story short, HDMI works when I plug it straight from the AD10 to the TV, but not when going via the receiver, which just game a the POST-screen in wrong resolution and then just a black screen. After a couple of days scratching my head and cursing the planet while editing xorg.conf I narrowed it down to a bug (or terrible feature) in the Yamaha firmware which made it not relay the EDID-info from the TV correctly.
Trying to use a raw dump of the TV's EDID instead of whatever the receiver was insisting the AD10 to use turned out to be futile, so I just ended up giving up the whole thing, plugged the HDMI cable straight to the TV and took the sound from the AD10's audio jack to the receiver.

I realize that all this is totally irrelevant for you, so I'm sorry that I made you read all that. I just had to get it out there to defend my old school solution.

I can however say, as you mentioned, that sound in itself was plug'n'play with HDMI. I have no way of testing 5.1, but you could try this:

asound.conf:

pcm.!default {
type plug
slave {
pcm "hw:0,3"
rate 48000
}
}

Try audiotype 5.1, audiodevice (and passthrough) "HD-Audio Generic hdmi (ALSA)". It might also be worth trying custom audiodevice "plughw:0,3" if that doesn't work. Be sure to run alsamixer and check that all levels are OK there before you start troubleshooting something that is muted Wink

This is mostly based on a post on a forum for OpenELEC (http://openelec.tv/forum/68-audio/15084-...udio-issue) but I think it should apply for this build of XBMC as well.

Again, sorry for the mostly meaningless wall of text along with some guesswork at the end, but pretty much comes with the territory when we're talking about sound and video in Linux Smile
  • 63(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs23