• 67(current)
How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs
I made an image of a (working) installation on a different system. I used it before on a system that is exactly the same and that worked fine.
I'm using the other system on the same TV and I don't have either of the settings you mentioned enabled there.

I didn't notice that pulseaudio was installed. I removed it now, followed the guide and enabled the settings. It seemed to work. Then I disabled the settings and it also worked fine... On a second try the problems came back though.

Maybe the problems are caused by the latest update of xbmc. The Live image I created seemed to work fine so I didn't understand why the installed version wasn't working. I think I immediatly upgraded xbmc to the latest version while the Live image used an older one.

I'll let you know if I can find a definitive solution.
(2012-08-05, 20:04)fritsch Wrote: @freakwenc:
Okay, problem is clear now. We had such problems on old hardware some time ago. Which GPU driver do you have? Can you try the 12.6 legacy driver? I wrote a howto some posts before.
How much memory does your card have? 512mb (SAPPHIRE HD 3650 512MB DDR2 AGP)

Can you give me a xbmc.log with debugging turned on - while playing such a tvheadend stream? http://pastebin.com/p8yxYX91
I played a hd channel, then changed to another and then played a HD video so it should all show up in the log.

I have tried to follow the guide in post but I keep getting "aticonfig: No supported adapters detected" after step 6 (I have reverted and tried a few times but keep getting the same results) so I've gone back to the latest driver for now.

@snippo: I suggest installing according to the howto or using the lastest xbmcbuntu pre
@freakwenc: you most probably used the normal catalyst 12.6, but for your card you need the legacy!
@freakwenc:
I updated the howto slightly, as the legacy driver is stable now. You don't have to copy back the signature file. Be aware you have to start with the first Box and the continue with the seconds box after Step4. Also the Codebox is scrollable.

You can also join #irc and ping wsnipex or me.

Edit: Can you tell us a bit about your soundsetup? Receiver connected? HDMI, Optical, Analog? I think your sound is configured wrong.

Code:
16:59:44 T:3075537776    INFO: CAESinkALSA - ALSA: pcm_hw.c:587:(snd_pcm_hw_start) SNDRV_PCM_IOCTL_START failed (-32): Broken pipe
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2012-08-05, 23:37)v8rumble Wrote:
(2012-08-05, 21:40)wsnipex Wrote: well, thats hard to diagnose remotely. I've seen unetbootin create those problems in the past, thats why I suggested using linux to create the USB install stick

cant i still follow your tutorial if I use a full desktop install? any changes?

yes you can, but remove pulseaudio unless absolutely needed:
Code:
sudo apt-get remove --purge pulseaudio libasound2-plugins
@ wsnipex: would you recommend to always purge pulseaudio when using a full install of eg. Ubuntu?

Anything else that should be removed or added when using a full install?
The problems seem to be caused by
Code:
sudo aticonfig --set-pcs-u32=MCIL,HWUVD_H264Level51Support,1
When it's disabled the flickering dissapears. When enabled it occurs on both L4.1 and L.5.1 movies.
I tried different versions of fglrx and xbmc but enabling L5.1 keeps causing problems. It works fine on my other A4-3400 based system Confused.

My uncle has the same system as the one that gives me problems. I'll try the Live CD I created and see if it causes problems there later.
@Snippo:

Yeah, this is great. Not for you, but in general. We were looking for answers why AMD did not enable Level 5.1 per SE. Can you give us some data:
1) How much graphics memory do you have? Can you reserve more memory in Bios? (at least 512?)
2) Which Catalyst Version are you running?
3) Which display manager?
4) Please pastebin /etc/ati/amdpcsdb file
And after you played such a movie:
5) dmesg | pastebinit

Thanks in advance.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
It looks like the problem is solved by increasing the graphics memory Smile. It was set to auto before but when set to 512 the problems disappear. I know I've set it to 512 on my other system so that's probably why that one never caused any problems.
As for the other information:
2) 8.960 = Catalyst 12.4
3) Lightdm
4) http://pastebin.com/ZZT0NUYB
I set the graphics memory back to 'auto' for 5) and the problems came back:
5) http://paste.ubuntu.com/1132453/

Thanks.
@Snippo:

Thank you very much. This is what i did suspect. Some "rumors", err Tim Writer of AMD told us, that it was not enabled by default, as it needs a lot of memory to be reserved, but later improvements to buffering should have made it work. (I hate this silly secret keeping on AMD side ...). I am looking forward to the day, when "real users" can test "beta drivers" - they should just release them and say "sorry not stable, no support -> bugtracker" ...

Btw. upgrading to 12.6 stable solves some other problems concerning HDMI sound, i would suggest you to upgrade. (howto is down on the first page of this thread).

Have fun using xbmc :-)
(2012-08-04, 22:07)Balthazar Wrote: ...It runs ok for a while, but then I start to get really jerky video. Does anyone have any ideas?...

I've had a similar problem, the reason was: the cpu/gpu was too hot.
I installed 12.6 now by following the instructions you mentioned. Does the xorg-edgers ppa also have the 12.6 stable or is that still the beta version? It would make updating a lot easier is the ppa could be used Smile.
@Snippo:
xorg-edgers also upgrade the X-Server, so we cannot suggest this in general, you could run into sever trouble. Ubuntu X-Swat is the better choice - currently they don't have 12.6, i think.

12.6 is stable, but the release had some problems with the control file - cause of this, the howto got "a bit more complicated".

@Balthazar:
You can look at the temperatures in xbmc system info.

@Pyromaniac:
Do you have some rough numbers on "when it is too hot"?
Well, I used Lili to get my USB install sticks working. I still can't do a command-line install. My keyboard still does nothing at the language selection is up. Work fine for everything else. It's a logitech wireless keyboard Sad

No one at the Ubuntuforums is helping. Seems to be a rare problem.
@v8rumble:
Use an USB Keyboard, plug and replug it at this screen. Join #xbmc-xvba to get other tipps, as we want to keep this thread on topic.

Update: I googled a bit. Try this iso: http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/precise/daily/...-amd64.iso and just select the basics (ssh and no desktop environment)
  • 67(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs23