Does speed of USB drive matter for Live install?
Thanks Geeba, but baldmosher got there first. Big Grin

It won't be long before technology adapts as fast as our brain works and then we will ALL be in trouble. Just ask John Connor.
baldmosher™
Trying to save his marriage with a HTPC
Current system: TV unit, 37PFL5405H, Microserver N40L (as HTPC), Xbox360, BDP-S370, FoxsatHD, Azur 540Rv2, Keysonic 540RF, Harmony 300
Planned W7x64 AMD mATX (HT)PC build: Case, PSU, RAM, Mobo, CPU Total £240 + IR + HSF? + SSD?
Orclas Wrote:Waitaminute!

Engaging my brain fully, I now see that the OP asks whether USB speed matters for Live menus. I didn't experience any noticeable difference when going from USB to SSD as far as menus go, only boot time (and the SSD lasting longer than two weeks before failing on me, i.e. it's still up and all good Smile).

That's running Dharma 10.1 Confluence with 4Gb RAM and linux cache settings to minimal (can't remember the proper lingo for the latter). All in all, it pretty much felt like it was mostly running directly from RAM, also when booting rom USB.

Thanks for the post, yes i'm indeed talking about menu performance. I Just wondered if I would be OK with a cheapy USB drive or should I look for a 2GB-4GB drive with a bit more performance? I've been looking at USB thumb drive benchies today and the KINGSTON DT108 seem good bang for buck in terms of performance, any opinions on those please ?
Lounge rig: nVidia Shield - Official Kodi
Bedroom rig: Amazon Fire TV - Kodi 17.3
Backend: HP Microserver, Ubuntu, JBOD
eskro Wrote:Patriot Xporter XT's are FTW!

a bit on the bulky side but, still FTW!

Right.... I love to transfer 8 gigs of music quick to them.... Big Grin
Beer40oz Wrote:Right.... I love to transfer 8 gigs of music quick to them.... Big Grin

fair enough....but i'm more interested in stats like read and write for small files as I assume this is what the XBMC live OS will be doing
cable_guy Wrote:Thanks for the post, yes i'm indeed talking about menu performance. I Just wondered if I would be OK with a cheapy USB drive or should I look for a 2GB-4GB drive with a bit more performance? I've been looking at USB thumb drive benchies today and the KINGSTON DT108 seem good bang for buck in terms of performance, any opinions on those please ?

Seriously, unless you're really squeezed for cash, for which I have all respect if it's the case, why spend time 100% optimizing a USB purchase? It wont really matter beyond boot, but if you want it good, then just go and buy the Xporter.

The difference between a cheap and a really good USB is likely, and at the most 20-30 seconds, but buy a good one to avoid downright failures. From there on we're probably talking about possible seconds of boot time difference, likely none in actual use performance, so who cares? :confused2:
HTPC: LibreELEC 7 on Shuttle XS35GTv2 & Raspberry Pi 3
NAS: NAS4Free 2x 3TB Raid1
Orclas Wrote:Seriously, unless you're really squeezed for cash, for which I have all respect if it's the case, why spend time 100% optimizing a USB purchase? It wont really matter beyond boot, but if you want it good, then just go and buy the Xporter.

The difference between a cheap and a really good USB is likely, and at the most 20-30 seconds, but buy a good one to avoid downright failures. From there on we're probably talking about possible seconds of boot time difference, likely none in actual use performance, so who cares? :confused2:

+1 Just get an Xporter.... and be done with it....
Don't mean to be rude, but I don't really appreciate the tone of the last two responses I've had.

I didn't know that the only difference between a fast and slow USB drive was the boot up time. This is the reason I opened the thread, to find out what the benefit of a faster USB drive is!

I don't like the accusations that I'm a cheapskate etc, I was simply asking the question, if I get a faster USB stick to boot it from, will it work faster. I didn't know that before I asked, so chill out with the "who cares :confused2:" etc /sigh
I'm a cheapskate and proud of it
baldmosher™
Trying to save his marriage with a HTPC
Current system: TV unit, 37PFL5405H, Microserver N40L (as HTPC), Xbox360, BDP-S370, FoxsatHD, Azur 540Rv2, Keysonic 540RF, Harmony 300
Planned W7x64 AMD mATX (HT)PC build: Case, PSU, RAM, Mobo, CPU Total £240 + IR + HSF? + SSD?
baldmosher Wrote:I'm a cheapskate and proud of it

Big Grin good to hear. I just wanted to ensure I was getting the most of of my media centre. I've looked at some reviews and benchmarks etc and think I'm going to plump for some Kingston DT108 sticks.
Quote:patriot xporter xt's are ftw!

+1
cable_guy Wrote:Don't mean to be rude, but I don't really appreciate the tone of the last two responses I've had.

I didn't know that the only difference between a fast and slow USB drive was the boot up time. This is the reason I opened the thread, to find out what the benefit of a faster USB drive is!

I don't like the accusations that I'm a cheapskate etc, I was simply asking the question, if I get a faster USB stick to boot it from, will it work faster. I didn't know that before I asked, so chill out with the "who cares :confused2:" etc /sigh

Well I am not trying to say your a cheapskate. Now from what you wan't to know about if it will benefit having a better stick for XBMC will probably be better something that has faster read/write speeds. Any stick will work.... you could buy a cheap stick and a fast one and let us know if you notice a difference. But I bet when getting fan art and stuff the faster stick will be better but you might not notice it.... who knows because I have never tried it.

So maybe someone out there who has can reply to this thread.

DT108 7MB write ? Read Vs. the Xporter 14MB write 30MB read..... am I wrong?
Or you just like the fact that the DT108 is smaller?
Xporter definitely faster then DT108
cable_guy Wrote:Don't mean to be rude, but I don't really appreciate the tone of the last two responses I've had.

Sorry if you took it that way, but I figured that my post which said "I noticed no difference between USB and SSD (=faster than any USB) except for boot time" answered that question pretty much in full.

The part about money was in no way intended to hint at you being a cheapskate. I just wanted to make sure that I don't sit here and go "huhu, why care about a few dollars" to someone who's trying to achieve good stuff with a very limited budget (which could be the case). Sorry if you felt disrespected, it was meant quite the opposite way since I didn't know your budgetary constraints (or lack thereof).

Friends again? Smile
HTPC: LibreELEC 7 on Shuttle XS35GTv2 & Raspberry Pi 3
NAS: NAS4Free 2x 3TB Raid1
Orclas Wrote:Sorry if you took it that way, but I figured that my post which said "I noticed no difference between USB and SSD (=faster than any USB) except for boot time" answered that question pretty much in full.

The part about money was in no way intended to hint at you being a cheapskate. I just wanted to make sure that I don't sit here and go "huhu, why care about a few dollars" to someone who's trying to achieve good stuff with a very limited budget (which could be the case). Sorry if you felt disrespected, it was meant quite the opposite way since I didn't know your budgetary constraints (or lack thereof).

Friends again? Smile

Sorry, I totally mis interpreted your post. Friends again - of course Nod

I've ordered a DT108. Partly because of the size yes (it's going in a small HP Microserver case) but partly because I've read it has some good benchmarks, not too far off Xporter XTs in terms of read access.
Kind of tempted by this and an adapter though.....

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Does speed of USB drive matter for Live install?0