1080p playback on nightlies not as smooth as with cydia?
Ok I'm kinda stuck now, been using xbmc for many years and can't figure this out.

Thought the atv2 was cause of my playback issues but after brief tests using my htpc it is having the same slowdown issues as I experienced with the atv2.

My htpc is a pretty good core2duo 3ghz 2gb ram setup recently changed from multiple hdds to a single ssd drive to access nas setup.

So it's not an XBMC problem at all!

Can you point me in the right direction so I know which areas I need to work on?

Never seen the buffering icon on screen.
Can I increase the cache on the playback device or would that not make a difference?

Is my qnap ts-410 nas box just not good enough to stream 1080p high bitrate movies?

Ah man though I had this all figured out, back to square one now, bummer.....
seems to be a wierd issue. first few 1080p movies i tried i had issues with so i downloaded 720p versions for them just so i could watch em properly.

but the funny thing is alot of other 1080p stuff works, including alot of my bigger downloads including the new lord of the rings extended editions i downloaded (51gb all up for all 3)

and the matrix series which is another big download all work in 1080p.

it seems more are working fine then the ones that dont work so im still downloading in 1080p by default and just redownloading in 720p any that dont work.

a few that gave me problems:

hangover 2
rise of the planet of the apes

also i have a proper bluray rip of APOCALYPSE NOW which stutters and buffers every few seconds but i figured it would since its 50gb and in .m2ts not .mkv
Hi frieten, yeah the fact that most 1080p mkv's do work fine should mean that streaming is working, network is ok, nas is ok, xbmc is ok etc.
I have had crashes/ slowdowns even with some 720p mkv's so logically that can only leave the mkv file itself as the cause.

Don't really know if it is even worth messing with afp FTP webdev shares etc as I had no buffering issues with samba.

Now I have some free time after Christmas will just go through all my collection and make a list of movies that don't play well across the nas.

Every movie had played fine via internal hdds on the htpc so as I say it must be an encoding issue and for whatever reason they don't stream well?

Will find out what I can and report back, you should also check out the forums for your brand of nas if you are using one.
Hi guys, this question is for the developers etc.

Are you interested in a list of the 1080p mkv's with mediainfo that don't stream well for me to see if it has some common cause?

Still going through collection, will take a while, only up to 'C' and just four movies that don't stream well so far (short testing at this stage)

I'm just gonna try another rip of the affected titles when i'm down testing so will be deleting them hence the question.

By the way, rocking Eden beta on all players, nice work guys Wink
mgc_bb Wrote:Hi guys, this question is for the developers etc.

Are you interested in a list of the 1080p mkv's with mediainfo that don't stream well for me to see if it has some common cause?

Still going through collection, will take a while, only up to 'C' and just four movies that don't stream well so far (short testing at this stage)

I'm just gonna try another rip of the affected titles when i'm down testing so will be deleting them hence the question.

By the way, rocking Eden beta on all players, nice work guys Wink

put a small list on pastebin

I can have a look.

P.S.
i'm using many qnaps and they all work fine.

I didn't read through the whole thread but have you ruled out your network ? as in cabling ?
Hi Jester, it's only certain mkv's that are having issues with all others playing great, everything seems to be running fine.

The dud movies in question also have issues when played on my htpc via nas so logically it must be the mkv's in question that are the cause of the problem when streamed.

Never heard/read anything but praise for the Qnap products.

Mine is a qnap ts-410 sharing using smb and web server/Mysql for the library, everything else is turned off and I'm very pleased with it.

Will sort some data out later today.
hi guys, been real busy testing all my 1080p movies and yep it took a long time.

end result I started deleting and replacing some of them with 720p versions.
funny thing, started to test them and even some of those have slight framedrop issues, wanted to check test anyway but it does look like a possible network issue

have ordered a netgear 16 port gigabit switch to replace my pretty old 100m hub (not even sure if it is a switch to be honest) so that may resolve the issue, if not will order a real long cat6 cable and connect the atv2 straight to the nas box, lol

I dont mind spending the time doing the testing etc, great way to reconnect to some movies you have not played for a while

ah my last post in this thread mentioned about me posting a load of mediainfo files, well I found like 80+ 1080p movies that were really poor on playback so waited to see what happens so not to waste you guys time checking them if it WAS another cause ie network

if the new switch or direct cable does not solve the playback issues will post a dozen or so mediainfo pastebins as I would have eliminated the network

yes I know the nas itself could have an issue but on step at a time.....

its funny the more you know about stuff the less you think of the real basic things a newbie would check, just goes to show, if it dont work check everything DO NOT assume stuff is working

also having same framedrop issues on main HTPC running xp via nas streaming

should say, first time streaming HD around my network was when I got the nas, before then all was HTPC internal drive based so I only have myself to blame in spending like a month now on this, lol

my bad!
Sorry to hear that your issues are still not fixed, @mgc_bb, but thank you for sharing your struggle with the rest of us. It should provide us dullards out there with some reassurance that even smart people struggle with their setups at times.

I was having issues previously streaming over a 100MB network (even though it should be possible), but many of those problems have gone away since I upgraded to GB. My wired HTPCs in the media room and living room have no problem with playback of large 1080p files now. I still have the occasional issue with playback on my ATV2 of 1080p content, but I have not gone through extensive debugging of this issue as you have here. At some point I will, I'm sure, but for now I'm content with either re-ripping the movie as 720p or pick a different one to watch Big Grin

Good luck with your network upgrade ... hope it goes smoothly.
Thanks for the kind words Gr8rtek, will test network with new switch and post results.

Hopefully the end is in sight now.

There loads of posts about buffering and stuttering issues but not none of them really mention the network as a possible cause, sure wired versus wireless but not about the network structure itself so I wonder how many peoples problems are simply that huh?

Anyway let's see if the switch makes a difference first Wink

One thing I have not come across yet is a list of which encoding types work best ie [email protected] 4 frames etc, that would help a lot and save a lot of posts.

For me personally I just want to have a reliable movie system and if the nas setup just won't cut it, well it's gone and back to internal htpc drive setup I go.
Should say I love the whole nas plus multiple players idea, noiseless movie playback is just so sweet!
For those who are interested, can update on network being the problem.

Long story short, the new gigabit switch did not make any difference to the frame drop issue so it is for sure just a file issue.

Network running great, nice and fast now so was worth changing my very old 8 port hub, yes it was just a hub and not even a switch that's how old it was.

Anyway can now play a 720p movie on each atv2 while moving 30gb to nas in 15 minutes so that's good enough for me.

Have a good idea now what mkv's work and have decided to nuke all my 1080p movies and go 100% 720p as an everyday system.
Will run my htpc as the 1080p projector feed running it's internal 1080p collection (what I copied to the nas basically).

Why nuke the 1080p stuff from the nas, well the atv2 is only 720p output anyway and so while a 1080p movie will still of course look better your only downscaling it to 720p and not getting the full benefit, secondly can save a bucket load of space and add even more stuff to the nas.

Yes I would rather run 1080p on the atv2 as well, if it could give out 1080p then yeah sure that would be awesome but I think my decision is a good compromise and I still have the htpc when I need 1080p on the master tv.

By the way, before someone posts about it yes I know the atv2 is not gigabit and only 100m connection Wink

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
1080p playback on nightlies not as smooth as with cydia?0