Some questions I have regarding NAS, and install
Hello crew,

I've been reading the forum non-stop for 2 days and I still have some questions. I have searched the forum first, but didn't find what I was looking for. Here it goes:

Just ordered an ND22 to start my HTPC/XBMC and was wondering what you recommend for an NAS solution to start with. I'm looking for maybe 2tb-4tb. I doubt I would need to expand past this (I say that now!!)

I will probably end up running openelec, as my cursory research points to this being a capable and fast solution on this type of system. Any thoughts on this?

Now to the really newbie questions...I apologize in advance:
1. What cables would I need to run 1080 rips of my dvds from system? HDMI im assuming?

2. How will the NAS connect to my ND22? Ethernet? usb? Will this be possible with openelec? Will it require any other software, hardware to get the the NAS and ND22 to play nice?

3. Is it best to run this all through an audio receiver, or can you run it just to the TV? I had an Onkyo receiver back when I was heavy into home audio, but it seems it will be time for a new one. Any recommendations?

4. I'm planning on using Flirc + Harmony for the remote

5. What's the best software you've found for ripping my DVD collection to a format I can store, and run, from my NAS? I know there's a bunch of good ones, but I'm still fuzzy as to what format I should rip them to that will retain all of the menus, chapters, etc.

6. When moving completed files, dvd rips, from my PC to my HTPC, what is the most efficent way? Just hook the NAS up to my PC, load all the files, then hook back up to htpc, or will an FTP work fast enough to transfer via wifi.

7. Any special router requirements? I have a trust Netgear WPN824v2

8. What else am I missing to get started?

NodThanks so much in advance for this. I've been scouring the site and the web looking for some of this more basic info, with little luck.
If you have the cash, a HP Microserver N36L is quite cheap (especially if you're in the UK and can get £100 HP cashback).

If not, I can't help you, but my Netgear WNDR3800 has a USB port and a 3.5" hard disk in an external SATA-USB caddy, and it serves 720p rips without a hitch. Most routers are not that fast as a NAS, this one cost me a lot of money. I'm not certain whether the 1080p bottleneck is the router or my laptop (100Mbps) but 1080p is very stuttery on my current setup.

Kineticwash Wrote:Now to the really newbie questions...I apologize in advance:
1. What cables would I need to run 1080 rips of my dvds from system? HDMI im assuming?
Well, firstly, you can't get 1080p rips of DVDs.
ideally yes if you need DTS-HD audio, but VGA or DVI (plus toslink/coax audio) will be fine for standard 5.1.

2. How will the NAS connect to my ND22? Ethernet? usb? Will this be possible with openelec? Will it require any other software, hardware to get the the NAS and ND22 to play nice?
It seems you are a complete n00b, just leave it all connected to the network. You'll need three Cat5e ethernet cables of suitable lengths, and a gigabit router or switch to connect them all up in the middle (it doesn't have to be right in the middle).

3. Is it best to run this all through an audio receiver, or can you run it just to the TV? I had an Onkyo receiver back when I was heavy into home audio, but it seems it will be time for a new one. Any recommendations?
I would always recommend a HDMI HD receiver, but the TV option might be fine for you. If you go second hand, should cost at most £100 / $150 for a decent, fully working model (plus speakers + cable)
Yamaha - cheap and cheerful, loads of models, great value
Onkyo - built like a brick sh*thouse, might not last as long as you hope though
Technics/Sony - mainstream but usually good quality

4. I'm planning on using Flirc + Harmony for the remote
This is not a question.

5. What's the best software you've found for ripping my DVD collection to a format I can store, and run, from my NAS? I know there's a bunch of good ones, but I'm still fuzzy as to what format I should rip them to that will retain all of the menus, chapters, etc.
It's much, much quicker and much, much easier to download them. And it's not illegal or immoral if you have the original on DVD. However, this requires some moderate reading up on Bittorrent. Time very well spent if you ask me.

6. When moving completed files, dvd rips, from my PC to my HTPC, what is the most efficent way? Just hook the NAS up to my PC, load all the files, then hook back up to htpc, or will an FTP work fast enough to transfer via wifi.
Don't use wifi - unless you have to. You can stream 720p direct over 100Mbps ethernet without any trouble. You will struggle with 1080p BD rips unless you have gigabit ethernet

7. Any special router requirements? I have a trust Netgear WPN824v2
See above

8. What else am I missing to get started?
A bit more patience and skill with Google Wink
baldmosher™
Trying to save his marriage with a HTPC
Current system: TV unit, 37PFL5405H, Microserver N40L (as HTPC), Xbox360, BDP-S370, FoxsatHD, Azur 540Rv2, Keysonic 540RF, Harmony 300
Planned W7x64 AMD mATX (HT)PC build: Case, PSU, RAM, Mobo, CPU Total £240 + IR + HSF? + SSD?
A few less structured comments than mr Baldmosher:

• Streaming full HD does not take more than 10-20 Mbit/s or so stable unbottlenecked throughput, that's it, so don't sweat it (but build something stable)
  • File sharing should be built around ethernet, it's by far the most versatile and flexible route to take. USB is for ad-hoc stuff or for simple extending of local storage.
  • Go wired if you can, streaming HD over wireless is a gamble.
  • Format for rips? MKV's seem to be da thing, although I believe that's technically a "container" and my proper understanding ends a bit before understanding the difference :p
  • NAS generally: first decide 'build or buy', then get back (i.e. build from components and run FreeNAS, unraid and such, or buy an off the shelf NAS).

Some good sources of information:

Off the shelf NAS's and networking stuff: www.smallnetbuilder.com
DIY server hardware: www.silentpcreview.com

+ probably some of Eskro's stuff in the stickies of this subforum.

baldmosher Wrote:8. What else am I missing to get started?
A bit more patience and skill with Google Wink

And aye (there are forums and sites beyond this and at times far more focused on NAS and network topics).
HTPC: LibreELEC 7 on Shuttle XS35GTv2 & Raspberry Pi 3
NAS: NAS4Free 2x 3TB Raid1
Bittorrent? Bah! Usenet is betta! ;D

I agree with just about everything else.
Kineticwash Wrote:I will probably end up running openelec, as my cursory research points to this being a capable and fast solution on this type of system. Any thoughts on this?

I loved OpenElec. Fast distro (~15s boot on a USB2 thumbdrive!) and it works.

Quote:2. How will the NAS connect to my ND22? Ethernet? usb? Will this be possible with openelec? Will it require any other software, hardware to get the the NAS and ND22 to play nice?

The NAS is connected to the router. Your computers are connected to the computer. The NAS is then like a server which can be accessed through samba shares, ftp logon, etc...

Quote:6. When moving completed files, dvd rips, from my PC to my HTPC, what is the most efficent way? Just hook the NAS up to my PC, load all the files, then hook back up to htpc, or will an FTP work fast enough to transfer via wifi

As pointed earlier, your NAS will never move. It will be permanently connected to your router. So once your DVD is ripped, you just use the OS browser (or FTP client) and move your files from your local drive to your network drive (NAS).

Quote:7. Any special router requirements? I have a trust Netgear WPN824v2

Any router will do. Mine is only 10/100MB and I can read from my NAS all my 1080p files.

---------------

For NAS. I have a Synology DS211j (space for 2 3.5" HDD). I love it. Simple to use and capacity is up to 3TB in raid1 or 6TB if you don't raid your disk. For me it's enough for the mean time (my collection is around 500GB of media files). Moreover, the NAS has 2 USB2.0 ports, so ultimately, I could have 6TB + 2x3TB external HDD for a grand total of 12TB of disk space. My NAS will probably die before I get to 6TB anyway!

If you have time, you might want to build it yourself. But keep in mind that you will need to configure it and maintain your server.

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com is indeed a good place to start for comprehensive NAS reviews. You'll quickly see that you don't need the fastest NAS for 1080p streaming. They are designed for big business with 100 and + users connected to the network.
One other thing to suggest, if you're as much of a n00b as you sound, I'd look to start off with a NAS or router that does DLNA sharing. It's not the best but it's by far the easiest. (For example, the Netgear WNDR3800, does DLNA at really fast speeds, and it's fab, cost me approx €110 / £130.)

If you're capable of reading a LOT of information, and spending hours, even weeks, pulling your hair out trying to get everything working, then do try and build your own NAS and all your own machines, and spec & set them all up yourself according to the spec you really need. It's very rewarding and usually works out a bit cheaper Smile (For example, I don't use dual wifi-N, and the WNDR3800 doesn't run a Bittorrent client, and I prefer to use AudioGalaxy to share my music with my phone, so I'm not using most of the more advanced features that I paid €80 extra for. So now I'm having to spend another £150 on a Microserver!)
baldmosher™
Current system: TV unit, 37PFL5405H, Microserver N40L (as HTPC), Xbox360, BDP-S370, FoxsatHD, Azur 540Rv2, Keysonic 540RF, Harmony 300
Planned W7x64 AMD mATX (HT)PC build: Case, PSU, RAM, Mobo, CPU Total £240 + IR + HSF? + SSD?
For server I would look at Unraid/Freenas/Flexraid/vortexbox/windows home server

Here is a recent guide on Unraid.

Links for Unraid Builds -
Unraid 1
Unraid 2

You have to decide on what you want from the server and do some reading on pros/cons of each.
Thanks for all of the replies. I have been spending more time at http://www.smallnetbuilder.com as well as on these forums. I did purchase the following so far:
-D-Link DIR-655 Extreme-N Gigabit Wireless Router
-Synology NAS DS212j
-ND22

Here's my question. My office is where the NAS will sit, hooked to my new router via cat5. Will I need to run another cat5 from my NAS to my ND22, or will I be able to sufficiently stream the media from my NAS to my ND22 wirlessly? Would it be more beneficial to have my NAS sitting near my nd22 so I can run cat5 between them and just add files from my office PC to my NAS wirelessly?

Another question: Would I need a gigabit switch in this config? I wouldn't think so, as my router will have enough ports to cover what I need. Or am I missing the point of a switch altogether?

Do most people rip their DVDs and then move the file to their NAS, or is downloading the content from usenet/torrent the preferred method. The reason I ask is that mkv files don't retain the file structure/menus of the DVD so it seems a compromise...a small one, but nevertheless a real one.

Thanks again for bearing with my remedial questions. I'm reading as much as I can as fast as I can, but since these forums exist, I thought I would put them to good use.
Kineticwash Wrote:Here's my question. My office is where the NAS will sit, hooked to my new router via cat5. Will I need to run another cat5 from my NAS to my ND22, or will I be able to sufficiently stream the media from my NAS to my ND22 wirlessly? Would it be more beneficial to have my NAS sitting near my nd22 so I can run cat5 between them and just add files from my office PC to my NAS wirelessly?

Your router is the center piece. Your NAS will connect on one of the ethernet port of your router and your HTPC will connect to a 2nd ehternet port on your router. That way, you'll be able to "speak" to your NAS, by going through your router.

If you want to connect through wi-fi, you can do so : HTPC to router will be wifi, but your NAS will still be connected to your router by an ethernet cable.

Again, your router is the center piece.

Quote:Another question: Would I need a gigabit switch in this config? I wouldn't think so, as my router will have enough ports to cover what I need. Or am I missing the point of a switch altogether?

The switch is there to provide more ports and a higher speed than a older router (your new router has already gigabit ethernet). In my opinion, you don't need it, unless you have more than 3 computers.

Quote:Do most people rip their DVDs and then move the file to their NAS, or is downloading the content from usenet/torrent the preferred method. The reason I ask is that mkv files don't retain the file structure/menus of the DVD so it seems a compromise...a small one, but nevertheless a real one.

For standard DVD, I just create an ISO file which will retain the structure.
Another reason to get a switch is if the distance between your PCs / NAS / router is so big that your layout would mean running two or three very long ethernet cables around the house/office.

In my case, the router sits next to the DSL modem, which in turn has to sit next to the (RJ11) phone socket. The TV unit on the other side of the room (9m distance over the doorway and around the wall) contains laptop, FreesatHD box, Sony BDP, and Xbox360, all of which use ethernet cables. So I'd need to run four long ethernet cables around the room and that would use all the ports in my router. So I bought a DLink 8-port gigabit switch to go in the cupboard, about £25 on Amazon, and everything spiders off that with a single cable to the router. I could have just run one cable from the DSL modem, and put the router in the cupboard, and used that instead of the switch, but then, inside a cupboard is a very silly place to put a wifi router Smile
baldmosher™
Kirky99 Wrote:Bittorrent? Bah! Usenet is betta! ;D

I agree with just about everything else.

Usenet! Big Grin It's my friend! lol

Why not go for unRAID? you will always be ready if you need to add more storage....
you can start by adding two (2tb) hard drives in it... that will give you only one (2tb) use because the other will be parity.
Later down the road add another.... now you have 4tb to use..... then down the road add more.... Smile
Quote:Here's my question. My office is where the NAS will sit, hooked to my new router via cat5. Will I need to run another cat5 from my NAS to my ND22, or will I be able to sufficiently stream the media from my NAS to my ND22 wirlessly? Would it be more beneficial to have my NAS sitting near my nd22 so I can run cat5 between them and just add files from my office PC to my NAS wirelessly?
It may and may not work to stream wirelessly, depending on a few different variables. You could always try and see if it works, but if it's not overly complicated to run a cable I would suggest doing so since it's far faster and above all more stable.

As for moving files, wireless will work, but probably take 10x the time. And do get CAT5E, no reason to limit yourself to 100Mb when you have a Gbit router.

Quote:Another question: Would I need a gigabit switch in this config? I wouldn't think so, as my router will have enough ports to cover what I need. Or am I missing the point of a switch altogether?
No. Simply put, the four LAN ports on your router is in effect nothing else than a switch (and in your case a Gbit switch), whereas the "routing" part is what links your LAN to the WAN (=Internet) safely. It's only if you need more ports and/or need a "relay" halfway on long cable stretches that it's needed.

Quote:Do most people rip their DVDs and then move the file to their NAS, or is downloading the content from usenet/torrent the preferred method. The reason I ask is that mkv files don't retain the file structure/menus of the DVD so it seems a compromise...a small one, but nevertheless a real one.
I know too little about ripping, but if you want to have an exact and intact copy, then just make an ISO. I however dont really see the point of intact file structures and menus, since everything in a DVD menu can usually be accessed via the XBMC GUI (unless the ripper has decided to strip out things).

Quote:Thanks again for bearing with my remedial questions. I'm reading as much as I can as fast as I can, but since these forums exist, I thought I would put them to good use.
Sure thing Smile
HTPC: LibreELEC 7 on Shuttle XS35GTv2 & Raspberry Pi 3
NAS: NAS4Free 2x 3TB Raid1
I've had a http://www.readynas.com/ unit for a few years and i love it.

XRAID is greatness. You can grow your array just by throwing in new drives one at a time. once the last bigger drive goes in, it automagically expands to the new size.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Some questions I have regarding NAS, and install0