Movies: picture no, sound yes
Question 
Hello,

I like xbmc a lot - but when I play a movie, it only shows a black screen - sound is working. Other media players work fine. Specifications:

- Dell XPS17
- Windows 7 64 Bit
- Intel Core i5-2410M
- 1GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 550M Graphics Card

I already tried a lot of different settings with no success. Do you have any hint?
If you have the "Adjust refresh rate..." enabled in System settings, Video, Playback, it may be that XBMC is changing the refresh rate to a value that your TV doesn't support. A quick test for this is to press Escape while the video is playing and see if you can now see the video playing in the background.

If this isn't the reason we need to see a debug log. Enable debug logging from System settings, System, Debugging, and restart XBMC then wait a minute or two for all the startup tasks to finish. Play a test video for a minute or so, then stop it and close XBMC.

Open the debug log by pressing Windows-R and in the Run dialog type:

"%appdata%\xbmc\xbmc.log"

(including the quotes). Click OK and the log should open in Notepad. Copy and paste the log into http://pastebin.com/ and post the link it gives you here.

JR
http://pastebin.com/ii0FnhYz

As I found out by now, XBMC plays some of my AVI-movies and some not. Those, which show only a black screen, are very short takes (2 to 5 seconds each), and they are edited both with Power Director and Virtual Dub.

Media Players like Windows Media Player, Zoom and KMPlayer don't have any difficulties in playing these videos.

Thank you very much for your support!
XBMC is reporting the video format for Carpe diem!.avi as:

Stream #0.0: Video: rawvideo, bgr24, 642x338, 25 tbr, 25 tbn, 25 tbc

and I suspect it's the rawvideo format that's causing the problems. I note multiple errors of the form:

ERROR: ffmpeg[1880]: swScaler: Unknown format is not supported as input pixel format
ERROR: CDVDVideoCodecFFmpeg:Big Grinecode - unable to obtain sws context for w:642, h:338, pixfmt: -1

Check a sample of videos that will play and ones that won't using something like MediaInfo (http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en) and I suspect you'll find all the ones that won't play are rawvideo.

JR
peter+ Wrote:Hello,

I like xbmc a lot - but when I play a movie, it only shows a black screen - sound is working. Other media players work fine. Specifications:

- Dell XPS17
- Windows 7 64 Bit
- Intel Core i5-2410M
- 1GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 550M Graphics Card

I already tried a lot of different settings with no success. Do you have any hint?
If you haven't update your GT 550M GPU driver, you can update it from here- NVIDIA Driver Downloads. You need to manually adjust the screen resolution in Nvidia control panel to match your HDTV screen resolution. You can select the adjusted resolution as shown below:

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
Thank you for your answers! The video codec is DIB (_RGB). After recoding to MPEG-4, XBMC shows the video without problems.

So - I have to recode all my videos, or is there a way, to "teach" XBMC to handle the DIB (_RGB) codec (as Windows Media Player, Zoom and KMPlayer do)?
I also have the same problem but i have a
operating system windows 8.1
intel hd graphics 4000
sony viao core i7
what can be the problem of blank screen during movie play backs I hear the sound fine but only shows a still picture in a little square box. i can get some video playback on some chanels.
right now i am watching Kevin Hart:laugh at my pain SD MP3 2.0 and it is working perfect. if i go to icefilmes and try to play videos i get sound but no video can anyone tell me what i am doing wrong
i update my m8 adroid box with the 13.1 “Gotham”
i have only sound
i replace the old 13.0 because i had problem with the subtitles
i tried also the 13.2 “Gotham” beta1 but the problem exist please help
I have the same problem tonight only sound no picture i have the latest isengard update on windows 8.1 & the movies worked fine last night but suddenly no video is showing the picture ive tried re-installing but nothing works...are there any fixes? Is it an issue with Kodi?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Movies: picture no, sound yes0