• 30(current)
Xbmc not working for blind users.
So, Just an update. Everything has been working amazingly well. It had been reading just about everything I have thrown at it. Not a single hiccup or crash. Lately I have thrown a few different skins at it to see what it will and won't read, And I have to say, While officially the Quartz skin is the best, It reads several other skins pretty well. Quartz is still me favorite though. Big Grin So no complaints and of course my eternal Gratitude.

I have recently posted a few informational posts around the net to draw some more people in. I am still working on the Wiki post on it and will have that up soon hopefully. I still like the idea of posting you tube video showing it off and hope to do that soon as well. Im just little slow on doing this stuff lately, Way to much going on around me at the moment.
Hello
I am blind, and i have not sighted help to install xbmc.
I use mac, is it possible to install xbmc tts addon without the addon manager.
Thanks in advance for help.
Best regards
noeyes
(2014-05-29, 23:33)noeyes Wrote: Hello
I am blind, and i have not sighted help to install xbmc.
I use mac, is it possible to install xbmc tts addon without the addon manager.
Thanks in advance for help.
Best regards
noeyes
Go to the downloads page mentioned in any of the release posts, download the service. xbmc.tts addon and unzip it to:
/Users/<your_user_name>/Library/Application Support/XBMC/addons/

When you next start XBMC, it should be speaking.

Hopefully I got all that right as I'm posting from my phone.

Please let me know how it works for you because I've only been able to test it in a virtual machine.
Ruuk, You beat me to it. LOL.
Information 
Added a new version to my repository: 0.0.66.

Get it or the repository from the Downloads Page.

Changes:
  • Added pitch to SAPI
  • Added pitch to eSpeak
  • Improvements to Festival that should improve responsiveness
  • Festival now outputs wavs and can be used on the speech server
  • Added pitch and player settings to Festival
  • Changed Speed to Server Speed on HTTP TTS
  • Added Server Pitch, Server Volume, Player Speed, Player Volume to HTTP TTS

The speech server has also been updated on the downloads page.

The speech server now uses the CherryPy web framework for the http server stuff. One of the benefits of this is that the server will now reload itself when it is updated.
I just upgraded to Gotham to see if this fixes my current issues and I can't tell yet but it seems to have at least a bit of an impact. I was getting the tick-tock sound when a busy dialog was popped up but it wouldn't stop ticking after the video loaded. It would play the sound for like 30 seconds before finally going away. Does anyone else have this issue. I think it is now stopping once the video plays under Gotham but I figured I'd ask anyway.
(2014-06-01, 09:54)byron27 Wrote: I just upgraded to Gotham to see if this fixes my current issues and I can't tell yet but it seems to have at least a bit of an impact. I was getting the tick-tock sound when a busy dialog was popped up but it wouldn't stop ticking after the video loaded. It would play the sound for like 30 seconds before finally going away. Does anyone else have this issue. I think it is now stopping once the video plays under Gotham but I figured I'd ask anyway.

A couple of versions ago it would do that if the addon updated while the sound was playing. I added a fix for that, but let me know if you continue to have that problem, it may be a different issue.
I've created a release thread for the addon HERE

Please post questions and comments about the addon in that thread.
hi all, i have a question: is there in xbmc like in windows center a tuning option as i have got a usb freeview card and can't access the player that came with it but it works under wmc, although i have tried and failed to record audio described programs to my pc, all boxes are checked and just get the track without ad, will xbmc allow me to do this. and would just like to congratulate the team for such developments towards making this program accessible to blind people.
i am reading it page by page and find it fassenating reading.
i have just downloaded the latest build and have no speech output at the mo, do i have to download the separate installer for the screenreaders, i am using jaws 15 and or nvda.
many thanks simon
ok have gotten speech after getting the setup file with the tts, and am playing around with it, how do I actually watch anything, and I have found that at the mo the pvr has no scanning capabilities at the moment.
(2014-10-30, 19:43)blinkysawous Wrote: ok have gotten speech after getting the setup file with the tts, and am playing around with it, how do I actually watch anything, and I have found that at the mo the pvr has no scanning capabilities at the moment.

You have to go into settings:Live TV and in the General section set Enabled to Yes.

I'm not sure if XBMC will then ask you to choose a PVR addon or if you will need to do this yourself.

PVR addons are in Settings:Add-onsBig Grinisabled Add-onsTongueVR clients or Settings:Add-ons:Get Add-ons:All Add-onsTongueVR clients

I don't know how to choose the best PVR addon and I don't know much about setting it up in general. Another user was generous enough to allow me to connect to his PVR for testing the TTS addon.

Hope that's helpful. If you need more help, hopefully someone here knows more, or you could look/ask in the appropriate forum thread.
I'm posting again because I want this to be the last post in the thread:

I've created a release thread for the addon HERE

Please post questions and comments about the addon in that thread.
Closed on ruuk's request. Ruuk, congratulations on the well deserved team membership!
  • 30(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Xbmc not working for blind users.5