(REVIVED) Stuttering/jerky 1080i on pre-Eden and post-Eden
Allright, rolling back the NVidia drivers isn't helping so I'm thinking something in the later nightlys... I had been updating with

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:team-xbmc/unstable
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install xbmc

and it's been doing fine, last update it did was the Dec 11 build, none new since then (oh Beta-1, Beta-1 whereforart thou Beta-1?) so till something better comes along. (yes, I know, playing with fire with nightlys... lesson learned)

The issue... XBMC Live 10.1 setup that's been upped to pre-Eden, 1080i (both MPEG-2 and x264) files that I have (recorded myself) that were working nicely, played smoothy, have started being jerky, hesitating, audio dropping out of sync recently. On a wired net connection. 720p/1080p not being affected). Watching the stats while they (attempt) to play I'm seeing HUNDREDS of dropped frames.. some playback is even crashing the system.

I've been reading others with similar probls that the nightlys back around end of November seem to be better.. but no clue on how (of if) can roll back to an earlier nightly....

Help? (or be patient till Beta-1 drops?)
Can you provide a debug log?
FernetMenta Wrote:Can you provide a debug log?

With guidance yes Smile [In other words, how?]

This is happening with all my 1080i's I recorded myself, some other 1080i's are fine (Mine were recorded with a Hauppauge HD-PVR, worked FINE before the nightlys starting in mid December.
Go to system settings and enable debugging. Then play one of those files that do not work for a minute or so. xbmc.log is in ~/.xbmc/temp. Please post this file and provide a link.
FernetMenta Wrote:Go to system settings and enable debugging. Then play one of those files that do not work for a minute or so. xbmc.log is in ~/.xbmc/temp. Please post this file and provide a link.

Will do.
FernetMenta Wrote:Go to system settings and enable debugging. Then play one of those files that do not work for a minute or so. xbmc.log is in ~/.xbmc/temp. Please post this file and provide a link.

PM sent.
Here is the log for others who might want to have a look:
http://pastebin.com/VSauYDXe

The player can't calculate the frame rate for some reason. What de-interlacing settings do you have?

Can you provide a short sample of a recording which does not play right?
FernetMenta Wrote:Here is the log for others who might want to have a look:
http://pastebin.com/VSauYDXe

The player can't calculate the frame rate for some reason. What de-interlacing settings do you have?

Can you provide a short sample of a recording which does not play right?

The interlace is set to the defaults (auto, auto select). Hadn't touched it since installation (and to repeat, these were playing just fine till one of the nightlys). It's happening on both old and new recordings (both a week old, and a year old), so I can't point a finger at me changing something there.

Media info dump for the file -

Code:
ID                               : 1 (0x1)
Format                           : MPEG-TS
File size                        : 6.07 GiB
Duration                         : 1h 39mn
Overall bit rate                 : 8 775 Kbps

ID                               : 4113 (0x1011)
Menu ID                          : 1 (0x1)
Format                           : AVC
Format/Info                      : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile                   : [email protected]
Format settings, CABAC           : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames        : 4 frames
Codec ID                         : 27
Bit rate mode                    : Variable
Bit rate                         : 7 953 Kbps
Maximum bit rate                 : 20.0 Mbps
Width                            : 1 920 pixels
Height                           : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio             : 16:9
Frame rate                       : 29.970 fps
Color space                      : YUV
Chroma subsampling               : 4:2:0
Bit depth                        : 8 bits
Scan type                        : Interlaced
Scan order                       : Top Field First
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)               : 0.128
Stream size                      : 5.50 GiB (91%)
Color primaries                  : BT.709-5, BT.1361, IEC 61966-2-4, SMPTE RP177
Transfer characteristics         : BT.709-5, BT.1361
Matrix coefficients              : BT.709-5, BT.1361, IEC 61966-2-4 709, SMPTE RP177

ID                               : 4352 (0x1100)
Menu ID                          : 1 (0x1)
Format                           : AC-3
Format/Info                      : Audio Coding 3
Mode extension                   : CM (complete main)
Codec ID                         : 129
Bit rate mode                    : Constant
Bit rate                         : 384 Kbps
Channel(s)                       : 2 channels
Channel positions                : Front: L R
Sampling rate                    : 48.0 KHz
Bit depth                        : 16 bits
Compression mode                 : Lossy
Stream size                      : 272 MiB (4%)
Language                         : English

interesting note #1... MediaInfo shows the file as 29.97, but when playing with VLC it shows it as 59.94

interesting note #2 ...when playing back on pc with VLC, looks great, when playing on the XBMC, there is 3-5 pixel high line of colored static on the very bottom of the screen

Recorded with a Hauppauge HD-PVR, 1920x1080i from a Dish HDDVR. Trimmed (no edits) with VideoRedo. I can try to whack out a section for you, any suggestion as to where I can drop it?

I tried remuxing with tsMuxer, just a straight pass thru and it made it worse, bad audio sync, even jerkier, etc... tried repacking it as MKV with MKVMerge v5.0.0 and wasn't any better.

This is only happening with 1080i recordings from the Hauppauge, 720p are perfect and no issues playing.
Can you upload a sample? I need to duplicate this issue for further investigation.
FernetMenta Wrote:Can you upload a sample? I need to duplicate this issue for further investigation.
let me see if I can find a place to dump a section.
I can confirm this as well

I've also got a weird pink noise artifact on the bottom line using any deinterlacer really. I'm using bob as default. 720p recordings are basically perfect.

Here's a short sample. It has a scrolling ticker, so if it's out of whack it'll show.

http://www.mediafire.com/?n1awkhgazng1xii

http://pastebin.com/pDvDiqmH
@ialand

There is indeed a problem that doesn't allow turning off deinterlacing when vdpau is used.
What are your deinterlacing settings? Did vdpau deinterlacing ever work with those files?
@FernetMenta

You can check the sample I uploaded, it's from the same encoder he's using. (HDPVR)
@sebj
Could you be more precise about this issue? How many lines at the bottom are affected?
FernetMenta Wrote:@ialand

What are your deinterlacing settings? Did vdpau deinterlacing ever work with those files?

It (and a lot others) were working fine on an straight LIVE 10.1 Dharma setup. Recording over a year old.

The interlace is set to the defaults (auto, auto select). Hadn't touched it since installation (and to repeat, these were playing just fine till one of the nightlys). It's happening on both old and new recordings (both a week old, and a year old), so I can't point a finger at me changing something there. I had been using the 10.1 for a long time, then started poking some nightlys and it was still working till (around) the December nightlys... then it went to phhft.

Addendum. I just turned off vdapu on the Dec 11 nightly build... and trying to play any 1080i recorded with the HDPVR gives an instant crash. Turn it back on and it at least TRIES to play them Smile (with the problems)

FernetMenta Wrote:There is indeed a problem that doesn't allow turning off deinterlacing when vdpau is used.

Perhaps that got dropped somewhere along the way?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
(REVIVED) Stuttering/jerky 1080i on pre-Eden and post-Eden0