Scroll mouse and Eden
Hi there

I have been using Dharma 10 for a while for our media centre. We use a wireless mouse and find it generally easier to use than a remote control.

Anyway, when watching a recorded TV program we use the mouse scroll wheel to seek forward past the adverts. Each wheel click is roughly 30 seconds and this works quite well.

I was playing with a Pre-Eden copy of XBMC and noticed when I do the same as above the OSD comes up and there is no seek action until the OSD times out and goes away (as long as you don't move the mouse)

With Dharma the OSD also comes up but does not interfere with the seeking action of the mouse scroll wheel.

Not sure if this a "bug" in the new Eden version or a change in behaviour of this feature. Bit of a pain if it is because we won't be able to use the scroll wheel as we have become acustomed to. WAF factor will come into play!

Any comments welcome.
I think this crept in when the new seek bar was added. I'm not sure whether it was intentional (I didn't write that code).

A work around would be to disable the mousemove handling so it doesn't open the OSD. You could map the right mouse click to open the OSD so you can still get at it. If you want to do this create a file called mouse.xml in your userdata\keymaps directory containing something like:

Code:
<keymap>
  <fullscreenvideo>
    <mouse>
      <mousemove>noop</mousemove>
      <rightclick>OSD</rightclick>
    </mouse>
  </fullscreenvideo>
</keymap>

JR
Thanks. I will certainly give that a go. I assume the Mouse movement will still function as normal once the OSD is up.
Ps - as this has crept in do you think I should post as a bug for future fix. Probably too late for Eden release. .?
Terracotta Wrote:Ps - as this has crept in do you think I should post as a bug for future fix. Probably too late for Eden release. .?

http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/11712

Now you've reminded me, I recall spending some time looking at this and failing to work out what was going on. It's more subtle than you think, because the wheel move messages get queued up and take effect when the OSD disappears. If you move the mouse then scroll the wheel then wait for the OSD to disappear you'll see the video jump the moment the OSD disappears. I'm afraid I eventually gave up and left the ticket in the hope someone who knows the code better than me could spot the problem.

JR
I'm guessing from all this that you use a mouse as well. I am sure most people use some sort of remote control so this little problem would have a low priority in being fixed.

I will try your suggested mod above and if OK then I will be able to keep a mouse and Eden which means family approval. Otherwise might have to stay with Dharma a bit longer (or maybe look at using a remote ..)

regards
Unsure if you've picked up on the new click point to time feature on the OSD, for me it's a bit more useful than scrubbing with the wheel, but doesn't eliminate the need for scrubbing, mind you I can wheel scrub without the OSD popping up.
Terracotta Wrote:I'm guessing from all this that you use a mouse as well.

Nope :-) As a poor hard done by developer I attempt to keep up with the never ending demands from those pitiless taskmasters who laughingly refer to themselves as users, hence the new mouse mappings in Eden, but using a mouse with XBMC strikes me as perverse. I use a Harmony remote.

JR
PatK Wrote:Unsure if you've picked up on the new click point to time feature on the OSD, for me it's a bit more useful than scrubbing with the wheel, but doesn't eliminate the need for scrubbing, mind you I can wheel scrub without the OSD popping up.

Will have look at that. We mainly only use the scroll wheel to skip thru' adverts on recorded TV programs.

Maybe I will have another play with using a remote on the Asrock Ion330 (had problems with it originally so decided to try a simple wireless mouse).

from another perverse user - we are a demanding lot with our infinite ideas / requests for XBMC. Must cause many sleepless nights for the developers. I really do appreaciate what they all do with this fantastic software.
Terracotta Wrote:Will have look at that. We mainly only use the scroll wheel to skip thru' adverts on recorded TV programs.

Maybe I will have another play with using a remote on the Asrock Ion330 (had problems with it originally so decided to try a simple wireless mouse).

from another perverse user - we are a demanding lot with our infinite ideas / requests for XBMC. Must cause many sleepless nights for the developers. I really do appreaciate what they all do with this fantastic software.

You might want to check out ComSkip and http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Edit_decision_list

From what I understand, you run ComSkip on your videos with commercials and it uses some cool algorithms to mark were commercials are. It writes this info to a file you keep with the video file, and XBMC will use that to let you skip commercials. :)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Scroll mouse and Eden0