• 2(current)
HTPC RF Keyboards
god i hate trackballz Tongue

man, overall, already 11 keyboards on list!

never thought to add that much...

but those 11 have good reviews so, worth having them there!
oh yeah and, talking about the Rii Mini,
well, its ''updated'' version, the Rii TOUCH N7,
looks ok, but again, i doubt its any better/reliable'er then first gen Rii Mini's ...
eskro Wrote:but those 10 have good reviews so, worth having them there!
But none of it has better review than this HP Bluetooth Keyboard on Amazon- HP TouchPad Wireless Keyboard, and it's not on your list.
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
bluray Wrote:But none of it has better review than this HP Bluetooth Keyboard on Amazon- HP TouchPad Wireless Keyboard, and it's not on your list.

not saying its not good, in fact, looks perfect.
but when i'll make a Bluetooth Keyboard thread,
i'll make sure to mention it blu.
currently, im keeping this a RF thread.
eskro Wrote:[10] HP LK752AA#ABL / LK753AA#ABC / XB387AA#ABL (~$38)
RF: yes
BackLit: No
Mouse: No

Hey eskro,
This keyboard does include a mouse ("Optical Finger Navigation", no scroll-bar though). I'm actually just about to buy it and try out. It's on sale at staples.ca for $35 Cool

I promise a brief review after I decide to keep it or return it Cool
weird, did not seem to have anything to let you control your mouse..
oh well, just tell us how it works! thx
I have the iogear (#5 above) and love it.
If they made a back-lit version it would be almost perfect.

It replaced a Logitech mini (#1 above) that at first seemed like the ideal solution but its shortcomings were too severe to overlook. (crappy connection reliability being the biggest problem)
eskro Wrote:weird, did not seem to have anything to let you control your mouse..
oh well, just tell us how it works! thx

OK, I just received this baby on the mail!! For reference:
[10] HP LK752AA#ABL / LK753AA#ABC / XB387AA#ABL
RF: yes
BackLit: No
Mouse: yes

The way the "mouse" works is like this: you'll see that on both top corners are what looks like screw covers. They are actually the left and right buttons which you click on. And the right one doubles as movement optical sensor, since it is transparent and "sees" your finger as you touch and move over it.

The mouse works pretty well, precision is far from great but it's usable for the occasional web browsing and light desktop usage. Think you have a thumb-sized sensor mated to a 1080p big screen and do the math!

The keyboard itself is awesome, heavy solid construction, high-quality keypress feel, pretty sexy-looking in a minimalist way. I'd say it's definitely mac-inspired Cool
The top row "F" keys are, by default, media keys: play, pause, stop, etc. which makes it ideal for machines that serve mainly as HTPC.

The RF sensor feels a little flimsy, and reception at the back of my HTPC was erratic so I had to move it to the front.

Opened the box, did not even look at all the "read me first" HP papers, installed it on my Linux-XBMC machine, and it was plug-and-play!!!

In summary: Ideal for complemeting a remote so you can type internet searches, etc. Looks professional and very elegant with any décor (high WAF Big Grin). Helps avoid a separate piece of hardware (a mouse) in your coffee table while providing a decent pointing functionality. Find a good price on this and anything else more expensive is not worth it.
Not ideal for heavy web navigation or gamers.

My veredict: it's a keeper!
i have been using the lenovo n5902a for a few months, works great, however, the scroll wheel gets hit accidentally often sending my box into seek and once in a while a button would stick.

but well worth the $40 i paid for it.
nice little review jackh!
I use one of those Rii mini-key boards mentioned on page 2. I love it.

Trackpad works well, fairly easy to type on, good range, excellent battery life and charge time. The only complaints i have are the missing f9-f12 keys, lack of mouse scroll emulation, and having to sue click-lock, as the mouse buttosn are located directly belwo teh trakpad.

But all thsoe are addressed/fixed with teh 3nd generation. Soon as i ahve some money to waste, I'll be gettin gone.

There may be better ones, but for the price, size, and usability, the Rii is awesome. Enough that i have 2.
i never got my 2 rii mini's to work correctly...
they would always miss key presses...
i wrote HELLO WORLD, and i'd see HLLO WRLD on my TV....
The newer LOFTEK Rii Touch N7 is the jewel. F1-F12 keys and track pad and mouse keys center on keyboard. I have no problems with the original Rii keyboards with missing keystrokes. Maverick 10.10, just needed an F11 key was my only grip.

The newer N7 solved that and has a better feel to the key presses.
im willing to give those rii's keyboards another shot but without paying Tongue
I love the Logitech Mini Controller. No F keys but if I need those to do Bios crap I use a disposable $5 generic wired USB keyboard I plug in the front and put away when I'm done. In use I like the Logitech and never have the loose track ball problem I had with the Lenovo.

The only problem I have had with it was my own fault when using MotionInJoy to connect my PS3 game controller via bluetooth to the HTPC I accidently replaced the Logitech's unifying reciever'd driver with the MotionInJoy driver. Which was stupidity on my part and required uninstalling MIJ, restarting to load correct drivers for Logitech and then reloading MIJ.

In general, I am unhappy with bluetooth reliability and may switch to a Logtech RF-based game controller as well. We'll see how well it plays with the Mini Controller.
Acer Revo 3610 w/ Ubuntu 10.10, Giada Cube Win 7, 2 ATV 1's one w Crystal HD card, UnRaid server w/ SAB/SickBeard/Couch Potato/Transmission, MacBook Pro, Hackintosh Dell Mini 10v
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HTPC RF Keyboards2