please help a noob please please please ty
guys im at my wits end i've tried everything and googled myself to death and cant find the solution.

i have a first generation appleTV, i did the usbatv hack thingy and loaded up xbmc and boxee on my ATV.
i followed all the instructions to a T on both the atv and my mac to enable sharing etc.

so now when i go to add a source and i go down to zercon (have to click the listing one below windowsSMB as instructed on some forum due to some weird bug) my computer will show up however there aren't any sub folders or anything just a folder that has the name of my computer on it and when i add it as a source there is nothing there.

(i have enabled everything to be shared on my computer but the program isn't searching my computer)

i know something is wrong and i'm 99% sure what its doing is searching the hard drive of my atv instead of my mac.
i say this because when i go to add a source and like the first thing that shows up is "harddrive" but when i select that it says users/frontrow/desktop

which is not my computer but i think its my atv.
i installed xbmc on my mac and its working perfectly and was super easy and when i went to add a source right away it showed up my whole computer and my hardrive was users/jonas/etc and i could navigate right to my folders and in 3 seconds i was watching movies and had all my movie files loaded no prob.

so what i feel like is for some reason xbmc on my atv recognizes that my mac exists but isn't really communicating with it at all and isn't searching any of my hard drive for files or anything and i have NO IDEA WHY.
i've been working on this problem for so long and its driving me insane i so just want to figure this out.

i'm sure its some simple problem and if anyone can help a noob start enjoying this awesome program i will be son insanely grateful.
i will even send you some $$$ on paypal for the first person that can help me fix this problem and get this working on my atv.

i even went into my network settings and added a location by putting in my mac's ip address but that didn't do anything.

i have no idea what this /users/frontrow thing is but when i did the usbatv hack it said something about username being frontrow and pw being frontrow so i feel like it might be the hard drive of my atv and that is what xbmc is trying to search? but i have no clue as nothing shows up under that anyways and i do have stuff on my atv.

anyways sorry for the super long post but i've just become so insanely frustrated and would be so eternally grateful to anyone that can help me solve this problem.

ty so much for any help.

oh i did click enable smb sharing in my mac settings and i have no firewall or anything that would be preventing my atv from communicating with my mac....also i know it KNOWS my mac is out there as it picks up its name (and i even tried changing the name and it changed on XBMC as well so it sees it out there it just isn't searching it at all almost like it doesn't think its a computer/hard drive and unlike on my actual computer where it shows all the different drives and folders and lets me navigate thru all of them to find anything i want on the actual xbmc on my atv it only shows the users/frontrow)

oh also my computer's "name" is rbk and when i go to add source>zerconf browser it shows up as rbk(samba) but thats as far as it will go....there is nothing inside that and i add it as a source but its just empty and nothing happens when i try and click on it (also there is no folder on my computer that is labeled rbk, its just the name i gave it when i was setting up the network and sharing...
oh i'm not sure if this is the best sub-forum to post this on (i xposted it in the general help forum and it was locked due to me posting it in 2 different forums). so if someone has a suggestion for a better place to post this please let me know.

cheers.
3 Things:

1. SMB should show up on Samba not ZeroConf.
2. If you are using lion on your mac then SMB won't work (apple changed it to be incompatible)
3. Since you are not dead from searching obviously (otherwise you wouldn't be able to post so much text Wink ) and my spoons for feeding people are out atm - try the search terms afp smb nfs lion or something like that.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
I've got a few spoons left. First let's find out if you are running Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion)?
i don't know if its lion....i have mac OS X version 10.6.8 whatever that means.....not so good with technical stuff.

any idea why everything is showing up /user/frontrow

Huh

what is the frontrow stuff if its not my atv harddrive? and how can i get it to start letting me navigate thru my mac's folders/directories?
Memphiz Wrote:3 Things:

1. SMB should show up on Samba not ZeroConf.

2. If you are using lion on your mac then SMB won't work (apple changed it to be incompatible)
3. Since you are not dead from searching obviously (otherwise you wouldn't be able to post so much text Wink ) and my spoons for feeding people are out atm - try the search terms afp smb nfs lion or something like that.

not sure if this is what you're referring to but i had kept trying to find my mac clicking on the windows smb source and i kept getting an error 2 message.
after searching for awhile i came across someone who had the same problem and for some reason said there was some bug that made it so you had to click on the source right below windows smb which is the zeroconf.
when i click on that the "rbk(samba)" shows up.

rbk is the name i gave my computer in the system preferences>sharing settings where i went to enable smb sharing etc.
so its def seeing my computer but it won't show any of the folders or directories or anything.
just adds the rbk(samba) as an empty folder.
i'm passing out now but will check thread when i wake up.
really appreciate any help you guys can offer.

i know people are generally hesitant to help out noobs but it would mean a great deal to me.

cheers.

ps: i'm driving my gf crazy so you'd be helping her out as well Smile
Okay, that simplifies things. We should be able to get SMB to work.

Found a few videos on youtube that walk you through this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLiLEgEhbtc

and more using http://www.youtube.com/results?search_qu...ow+leopard

If you do have it set up pretty much like that and it's still not working then we'll go to another step and get your XBMC.log file, but first let's make sure everything on the Mac side is working (the SMB sharing).
Ned Scott Wrote:Okay, that simplifies things. We should be able to get SMB to work.

Found a few videos on youtube that walk you through this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLiLEgEhbtc

and more using http://www.youtube.com/results?search_qu...ow+leopard

If you do have it set up pretty much like that and it's still not working then we'll go to another step and get your XBMC.log file, but first let's make sure everything on the Mac side is working (the SMB sharing).

hey ned,

so that is def not the source of the problem as i have checked that step repeatedly.
all files are shared using smb and i have followed all of those steps exactly.

how do we take the next step of retrieving my xbmc.log file?
so i found this link to retrieving the xbmc logs but still not 100% sure how to go about getting them from the atv device: http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Log_file
if anyone can point me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.
1. First you want to enable debugging on XBMC. Go to System settings -> System -> Debugging. Make sure "enable debug logging" is on. At this point you should see some weird text pop up on the screen.

2. Exit and re-enter XBMC or reboot the Apple TV 1 so that the debug log contains start-up information as well. Every time you exit/re-enter XBMC a fresh XBMC.log file is made.

3. Now do whatever it is you normally do to experience the issue on the ATV1. Even if it doesn't do anything on screen it will probably still record useful information in the log file that we can use. It will show us what XBMC tried to do and hopefully why it wasn't able to do it.

4. Grab a copy of Cyberduck or FileZilla, both free and both work on Mac and Windows. Use the program to make a SFTP connection. The IP will be whatever IP the ATV1 has

You can find the IP address by exiting XBMC, and in the normal ATV1 menu go to Settings -> General -> About. Then look for "IP Address" and use the numbers listed there. It will be something like 192.168.1.4, or something similar that has 4 groups of numbers. The username for the connection will be "frontrow" and the password will be "frontrow" by default.

5. Make the connection and you should see folders and files. Find your way to

/Users/frontrow/Library/Logs/

That is the folder that has XBMC.log

6. You should be able to just click and drag the file off to your computer to make a copy. Open it with a text editor, select all, and paste it to a site like http://pastebin.com (since it will be a very large file). Then mention the url of the pastebin file you just made in your post reporting the issue.
ok i followed all your instructions and pasted it on pastebin.

here is the URL hopefully i did it correctly (i followed everything you said exactly but when i pasted it on pastebin its still super long so not sure if i missed a step there or that is how its supposed to be.)

http://pastebin.com/ZDE6z648
ok so the last post contained a link to the log created when i tried to add a source thru zeroconf (that is the only way it ever even recognizes my computer name "rbk")

this link is to when i try to add a source thru windows network (smb)

http://pastebin.com/pJvBz1L0

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
please help a noob please please please ty0