Which HTPC/NAS Hardware?
Hi,

I'd like to build myself a nice little HTPC-NAS-Hybrid during the holidays but I don't have a clue which hardware to use. I'm no complete noob regarding PC hardware but I concentrated on high end gaming equipment most of the time.

There are several requirements for the build:

1. It must be able to show HD live TV, record HD TV and transfer files via the network simultaneously.

2. It should not require to much time for booting.

3. It must support Wake on LAN.

mfg Cyclonit ^^
Start here...and welcome

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=94199
I advise you start with a HP Microserver (especially if you're in the UK, with HP £100 cashback offer), read up on MythTV, and expect to spend a lot of time setting it up exactly how you want.

If you have room for a PC tower you will be able to build your own HTPC/server quite easily, and whilst not cheaper than a Microserver, definitely more powerful & flexible. Whether you'd want to bother is another matter. I didn't, so I've got a Microserver on the way Smile
baldmosher™
Trying to save his marriage with a HTPC
Current system: TV unit, 37PFL5405H, Microserver N40L (as HTPC), Xbox360, BDP-S370, FoxsatHD, Azur 540Rv2, Keysonic 540RF, Harmony 300
Planned W7x64 AMD mATX (HT)PC build: Case, PSU, RAM, Mobo, CPU Total £240 + IR + HSF? + SSD?
baldmosher Wrote:Whether you'd want to bother is another matter. I didn't, so I've got a Microserver on the way Smile

Barebones and such are becoming disturbingly good and affordable, aren't they? Big Grin :p
HTPC: LibreELEC 7 on Shuttle XS35GTv2 & Raspberry Pi 3
NAS: NAS4Free 2x 3TB Raid1
Your requirements are outside of the HP Microserver in my opinion...

I would suggest:
AMD A8 (wait a month or two for the "K" edition) ->Quad will help with simultaneous actions!
get a 64gb SSD either SATA II/III I recommend a corsair or crucial SSD (good IOPS etc)
get about 4gb Ram that's overclockable (achievable 1866mhz for gpu boost on iGPU)
TV Tuner -> Wait for restock(Jan) and get a BlackGold tuner
A suitable mobo! I decided to go for a intel build in the end so can't help you here! Sad

get a mATX case and a GOOD 80PLUS power supply too it's important for this if from what you insinuate will run alot of the time...

Hope that helps!
Love XBMC too check this -> HERE (Last Updated: 25/01/2012)

check out the xbmcmediacentre.com competition!

My hate campaign on optical discs started young, sorry I can't help it. :rolleyes:

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Which HTPC/NAS Hardware?0