pentium 4 dell dimension 5150 base unit or emachines 1401
hi Smile

i'm trying to get an xbmc install and some kind of usenet download capability in one box at minimum cost, i'e what i already have.

i've got an old dell base unit its a pentium 4 processor, 1 gb of ram in 2 sticks.

if i added the right gfx card would this be sufficient for xbmc? how much more ram will i need?

pros dell

easy to add more storage
have a few 3.5 hd's sitting idle
if it gets damaged/stolen i wouldn't be too bothered.
allow me to leave 1401 at home to use in other room

cons dell

ugly
probably require more ram
gfx card

i also have a stock emachines 1401

pros 1401

small
cheap
easy to setup xbmc on
hdmi out

cons 1401

limited storage (i'll have to purchase external storage)
ugly
hassle to upgrade

i work away in the week with free internet access it would be my box whilst i'm away. i already have 2 zbox's at home they get all their data from my unraid server. i'll need this other box to be the server and xbmc all in one.

i was planning on using the 1401 but from what i've read if i wanted to use win 7 i'd need to upgrade the ram to 4gb, which looks like a fair bit of hassle.

i'm running live on my other installs but wouldn't know if its posssible to have live and use it as a download box?

what do you guys think?

many thanks for your time
do not go the dell route the pentium 4 will only drive you up the wall speaking from experience have a dimension 2400 at home and xbmc is a serious no go with 4 gigs of ram on win 7
ok buddy thanks for the advice Smile

i suppose i'll have to use windows on the 1401 so i'll need to upgrade the ram in that thenUndecided

or could i go down the ubuntu route or even better somehow do it all from xbmc live?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
pentium 4 dell dimension 5150 base unit or emachines 14010