Few ideas, but blurred.
Hi everybody,
after a lot of thinking I decided that the best option for me to enjoy a media player and install XBMC is to get a net top.
Apparently this is the only sure thing I have in mind.
Considering that I am not expert enough to build my own machine I was thinking to buy a neetop ready to use.
My first choice would be Asus EB1503 but I am not sure it is powerfull enough for my needs.
For instance, what I want to do with my net top would be:
connect via wifi to my imac, browse folders and play everything I have in my HD, MKV, SD, HD, everything.
Then I would love to use xbmc as my media center, playing content stored in the machine HD (asus, so far) or playing content stored in a 2.5 hd that I already own and that I will connect via usb to the net top.
I would also like to use hulu to stream content, SD and HD if possible. I know that this service is only working in the USA, but I know that there are ways to bypass this problem.
This is pretty much what i need from a net top. Asus EB1503 should be able to do it plus I should be able to watch bluray.
If you have any suggestion about alternative net top that I should consider feel free to let me know. I am still in the research phase and I don't want to spend money on the wrong hardware.
Thank you in advance.
Louie
Since you're already familiar with mac you could get one of the new minis with hd4000 graphics Smile
Acknowledge. If you want to use OSX buy a Mac.
But keep in mind that you always have a full OS in the background. If you just need a media center I would prefer a Linux solution.
I'm not quite sure people know what your asking due to the title of your post. Are you just asking what nettop to get for Windows?

The Asus EB1503 should be fine for your needs as far as I can tell.
Plus, don't put yourself down, after you have built your first PC it's dead easy!! You could have something quite a bit better if you build it.
(2012-11-04, 13:14)RaggSokk3n Wrote: Since you're already familiar with mac you could get one of the new minis with hd4000 graphics Smile

Hi, Mac mini was one of the option I was considering, but we are talking about something that costs around 600 Euro (Italy) so it is not exactly and easy choice.
(2012-11-04, 13:24)K1rk Wrote: Acknowledge. If you want to use OSX buy a Mac.
But keep in mind that you always have a full OS in the background. If you just need a media center I would prefer a Linux solution.

No, I wasn't really looking for a Mac machine, my only requirements concerning OS X is to be able to browse through my files using a pc machine in the living room.
(2012-11-04, 16:27)T800 Wrote: I'm not quite sure people know what your asking due to the title of your post. Are you just asking what nettop to get for Windows?

Plus, don't put yourself down, after you have built your first PC it's dead easy!! You could have something quite a bit better if you build it.

You know? You are right. Mac OSX is not relevant here.
I am planning to use a pc in my living room and to install a OS like Linux (maybe a version specifically written to work with XBMC).
About building my own HTPC you are right, I built my first two pc more then a decade ago but now I am so far from this world that it would take me forever to learn new specifications about current hardware and to understand which motherboard goes with which cpu, which HD goes with which fan and so on.
Unfortunately I do not have time for this, though I always liked the building part of buying a pc.
This is why i was thinking about the asus machine.
I don't own a 3D Tv so i don't think i will need a powerfull machine. Netflix here is not an option, Hulu, with an hack can work even outside USA, but the things i really like to do would be streaming of SD and HD (1080) content from my mac and streaming of online content.
Am I choosing the right hardware?
Any streaming content that cannot be GPU accelerated is going to have a hard time with the Atom D2700. In my own testing, the Netflix HD service here in the USA which users a player that does not use GPU acceleration was not playable on the Atom D2700. So, it's going to depend a lot on the services you intend to what and their software player implementation. Playing 1080p content off my home server was no problem.

(2012-11-04, 18:07)louie Wrote:
(2012-11-04, 16:27)T800 Wrote: I'm not quite sure people know what your asking due to the title of your post. Are you just asking what nettop to get for Windows?

You know? You are right. Mac OSX is not relevant here.
I am planning to use a pc in my living room and to install a OS like Linux (maybe a version specifically written to work with XBMC).
About building my own HTPC you are right, I built my first two pc more then a decade ago but now I am so far from this world that it would take me forever to learn new specifications about current hardware and to understand which motherboard goes with which cpu, which HD goes with which fan and so on.
Unfortunately I do not have time for this, though I always liked the building part of buying a pc.
This is why i was thinking about the asus machine.
I don't own a 3D Tv so i don't think i will need a powerfull machine. Netflix here is not an option, Hulu, with an hack can work even outside USA, but the things i really like to do would be streaming of SD and HD (1080) content from my mac and streaming of online content.
Am I choosing the right hardware?

A lot of people just copy other builds. My main build and my bedroom build were Eskros builds. Order the parts recommended by others and put them together.
You could pick one from here and you just need to pick your ram and hdd:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=94199

I can't really help with a pre built because I have no experience.
(2012-11-04, 21:35)Dougie Fresh Wrote: Any streaming content that cannot be GPU accelerated is going to have a hard time with the Atom D2700. In my own testing, the Netflix HD service here in the USA which users a player that does not use GPU acceleration was not playable on the Atom D2700. So, it's going to depend a lot on the services you intend to what and their software player implementation. Playing 1080p content off my home server was no problem.

In Italy, where I live, netflix is not an option I think. I had the app on my WD live TV hub and it wasn't working. I guess it goes only on the american sole.
But Hulu, for example can be viewed outside USA with a couple of tricks.
Furthermore there are a lot of channels that I could watch with online streaming.
If it was only for the movies I have on my HD I could buy a popcorn hour.
I would like to do more, this is why I was searching for a good htpc and this is when I found the Asus eee pc box eb1503.
But the more i think the more I am starting to taste the joy of building it by myself.
Unfortunately I don't know where to start and I think that the prices you have for the hardware are way cheaper than those I am going to find in Italy.
Sorry guys If i keep on posting.
I have a couple of questions.
If I should decide to build it by myself:
1) I would like it to have dual HD, one SSD for the OS and an HD for the storage, how do I know if a case has enough space?
2) Considering the Htpc will end up in my living room, I would like a case that is "goodlooking". Suggestions?
3) Cables? When you order Cpu, Hd, motherboard, case,etc will i find cables included?
4)Before I buy the components, can i show u the configuration and ask for advice?
Thanks
Louie
(2012-11-05, 10:36)louie Wrote: Sorry guys If i keep on posting.
1) I would like it to have dual HD, one SSD for the OS and an HD for the storage, how do I know if a case has enough space?
2) Considering the Htpc will end up in my living room, I would like a case that is "goodlooking". Suggestions?
3) Cables? When you order Cpu, Hd, motherboard, case,etc will i find cables included?
4)Before I buy the components, can i show u the configuration and ask for advice?
Thanks
Louie

Take a look at my builds, they should have all you need if you just add a 3,5hdd Smile
(2012-11-05, 11:44)RaggSokk3n Wrote:
(2012-11-05, 10:36)louie Wrote: Sorry guys If i keep on posting.
Thanks
Louie

Take a look at my builds, they should have all you need if you just add a 3,5hdd Smile
Maybe, and I say maybe they are a litte too expensive.
I have to check prices here.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Few ideas, but blurred.0