• 3(current)
New OSD in development
now we're getting somewhere Smile

@floink; *love* the mock-ups, and the method of choosing the sections is good too. my initial thoughts on this were to have a first 'mode' osd which showed the basics (much like yours does) and then allow access to each section for configuration settings (again, like yours does).

i think the design/look/function of the osd is going to be a very contentious issue as there seems to be two very distinct schools of thought here Smile

unless anyone wildly disagrees i'm going to start with floink's design and we'll work from there ....

floink; any chance of you sending me some draft graphics to play with?
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

it would be rude not to. Smile i'll pm you about details.
/floink
(forza @ feb. 05 2004,12:48 Wrote:unless anyone wildly disagrees i'm going to start with floink's design and we'll work from there ....
as i've already stated, if the osd was implemented exactly as shown in floinks mockups (which from what i understand isn't all that likley as they're drafts), i would be perfectly content.

one thought however, could the button focus be set on one of the menu buttons initially? (as oposed to a control button (play/pause,etc)) ? so for instance the focus is on video first?

the mockups alone, do look many many times more professional than the current osd and the xbmp osd. and i do mean that. one question tho (possibly way to premature but oh well), will there be a seperate info page? (if so will it still remain in the same style?) or will there be an additional button for it on the osd? just in case you (forza) are also making that info page, is the bitrate status bar (as shown in the menu 4 pic i posted here) feasible for implementation? or would it be too much of a memory hog to work?

morien
morien; i'm just going to kick off some code to get things started so i'll see how it goes with default focus etc. hopefully having designed & written software as a job for over 16 years (and still going!Wink i can make the osd intuitive and easy to use Smile

as for showing the bitrate and info's; yes i did have an info page in mind and i'll put in as much info as mplayer will let me have Smile

i'll keep y'all posted ...
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

here is an layout idea for pop-up menu for bookmarks in osd (based on floink's layout):

============================
 bookmark - 00:15:14    |edit|  |delete|
 bookmark - 01:17:45    |edit|  |delete|
 bookmark - 01:17:45    |edit|  |delete|                         <<pop-up menu

|add bookmark|      |delete all |
                                        ||
|sync.|subt.|video|audio|bookm.|                                <<buttons in osd

explanation:
edit: edit name of bookmark (default is 'bookmark') and adjust time (goto separate edit layout)
delete: delete single bookmark.
add bookmark: press button to add bookmark at current time.
delete all: deletes bookmarks for the video, if any.

-name of bookmark scrolls when selected if it is to long to show (like file name when browsing files).
-if to many bookmarks to show on screen, use listbox to allow scrolling.

edit layout (when having pressed edit for a bookmark):
 name: bookmark  
 time: 00:15:14

|done|   |cancel|   |delete|
                                        ||
|sync.|subt.|video|audio|bookm.|

explanation:
done: saves changes and returns to previous menu.
cancel: revert changes and returns to previous menu.
delete: deletes bookmark and returns to previous menu.

-when selecting bookmark, on-screen keyboard pops up.
-when selecting hours or minutes or seconds respectivly, up and down buttons on remote (and controller) changes time.

a bookmark should also be possible to add to a playing movie by just pressing a button, without using osd. (why not reuse same button used for adding to playlist, since it's not used in this context).
/mosax :) ...likes xbmc
@morien: remember that if osd'll be fully skinnable you'll be able to set <defaultcontrol></defaultcontrol> yourself Smile

@mosax: i really like your bookmark ideas and the thoughts on the osd menus. i've read ur previous posts on the topic before aswell. i belive a menu like the one above would be a bit too complex for an osd but still, maybe not? also it has to be supported in code and i don't know if bookmarks are related to osd @ll codewise. forza? a nice extra feature with this would be the ability to auto-capture a screenshot accompaning the bookmark. so when scrolling bookmarks you see a thumb preview of the scene bookmarked (makes naming not so important).

i think a seperate bookmark manager would be in place here where you have text editing and such included. maybe somehow related to the imdb info screen/video database, which would get you something close to a dvd menu for any movie. so; osd is used for capturing, browsing/using bookmarks. bookmark manager is used for... managing bookmarks.

woha, sharing ideas is fun Smile aint it?

/floink
(floink @ feb. 06 2004,22:34 Wrote:a nice extra feature with this would be the ability to auto-capture a screenshot accompaning the bookmark. so when scrolling bookmarks you see a thumb preview of the scene bookmarked (makes naming not so important).
that's a very good idea. i've seen many pvr programs do the same kind of thing and it works very well.
also when dvds are finally up to scratch, perhaps it could automatically do this for each chapter? so on the first play of the title it could capture the first frame or a few seconds in of each chapter and store it for the next time the dvd is played.
also, just a feature request for the bookmarks, perhaps if it could automatically use a standard chapter format stored either with the movie or in a xbmc\chapter\ folder? similar to how subtitle files work?

morien
hello

my suggestion is based on a mediaplayer for windows called mv2player.

first menu (by pressing the key one time):
basic controls

- audio stream
- audio volume
- audio balance
- subtitles selection
- subtitles position
- video scan
- video aspect ratio (preselect)
- video free aspect radio +/-

second menu (by pressing the key a second time):
color/filter controls
- brightness
- saturation
- contrast
- hue
- postprocessing filter
- deinterlace

next menu cycle = bookmarks, (chapters/titles/sets options available when playing dvd for example)

in the last menu cycle you can select recently played files: video/stills/audio

a seekbar is displayed on top of the screen where you can seek through the video and where you can see how much you have left (including other stacked files)

osd from mv2player
i like this quite much. it is clear, simple, and easy to use. i hope you agree with me.
when the osd is skinnable you can practically make anything of it.
greets,

zilvershadow
designer of the kmlbrowser script.
one thing i'd love for the osd is the ability to change aspect ratio.
like on my 4:3 tv i'ld like to trim a bit off the sides on eg. a 2.35:1 movie using pan scan!
that isn't to do with aspect ratio but zoom. all that would be needed for what you want is a second zoom for 2.35:1. this, however, i would also like (multiple zooms), however a lot of screen will be gone and a lot missed at that zoom.

morien
doesnt really mather to me...as long as the functions from the old panel get in there.. volume, play, pause, ffw etc.. didnt see anything wrong with the old one. the slide thing was cool, but if it becomes fully skinable that would even be cooler.
real_men_don't_need_spacebars.
(floink @ feb. 06 2004,22:34 Wrote:... a nice extra feature with this would be the ability to auto-capture a screenshot accompaning the bookmark. so when scrolling bookmarks you see a thumb preview of the scene bookmarked (makes naming not so important).
nice feature! i still think text is very useful though, like for serie episodes where identifying each can be hard just by a screen capture (could just be intro text, same for each part). more useful would then be if one could freely select what picture frame to go with each bookmark. then you could select a easily identifyible frame, not just the one at the exact bookmark. of cause being able to select 'picture' or 'text' or even 'picture and text' bookmarks would be really nice, but maybe not in the first iteration. Image

Quote:i think a seperate bookmark manager would be in place here where you have text editing and such included. maybe somehow related to the imdb info screen/video database, which would get you something close to a dvd menu for any movie. so; osd is used for capturing, browsing/using bookmarks. bookmark manager is used for... managing bookmarks.

great idea to combine bookmark management with imdb info screen. though it would be most useful to also be able to 'use' the bookmarks from that interface. you could then use the bookmark menu without starting a movie and choose to go to any of them.

could look something like this: (sorry for the ascii graphics, hope the concept comes across anyway)

when pressing the button on the remote that today brings up imdb info, the screen below is instead shown, having 3 sections on top, 'movie info' for imdb info, 'bookmarks', and 'file info' (for technical info about the movie file: codecs, transfer rates, file size etc.).  

screen layout:
=================================
 movie info     |      bookmarks      |      file info      |
                     ---------------------------------------------------- 

<lookup>   |======================|
<manual>    |                                                 |
<refresh>   |                                                 |
<cast>        |                                                 |
                  |                                                 |
                  |        info about the movie            |
                  |                                                 |
                  |                                                 |
                  |                                                 |
                  |                                                 |
                  |======================|

-lookup: fetches info about the movie from imdb (to show the menu faster,  it might be wise not to do this automatically).
-manual: same as today, enter search string manually.
-refresh: same as today, redo the search.
-cast: same as today, toggle between cast and plot.

the screen below is shown when the user selects the 'bookmark' section. the user can from there goto, edit or delete a bookmark, delete all bookmarks or play the movie from the beginning (instead of going back to the file list to start it). a bookmark could also be added by entering an absolute time for it. (if a bookmark could be both a picture and a text you could toggle between views using <show pictures>.)

screen layout:
 movie info     |      bookmarks      |      file info      |
---------------------                            ------------------------

<add bookmark>   <delete all>    <play from start>
  <show pictures>
   bookmark - 00:10:34        <edit>  <delete>
   bookmark - 00:15:22        <edit>  <delete>
   bookmark - 00:23:11        <edit>  <delete>
   bookmark - 00:45:14        <edit>  <delete>
   bookmark - 00:56:43        <edit>  <delete>
   bookmark - 01:15:05        <edit>  <delete>
   bookmark - 01:34:08        <edit>  <delete>
   bookmark - 01:39:20        <edit>  <delete>

==================================

the third section, 'file info', is just to give an example of how such a section menu could be extended further.

i also think it is a good way of preserving the scarce buttons to use a many-in-one menu like this.

the user could possibly select which section would come up pre-selected, according to his/hers own preferences (in 'settings' menu or in skin file).

Quote:so; osd is used for capturing, browsing/using bookmarks. bookmark manager is used for... managing bookmarks.
about a bookmark interface in the osd, i still think it would be very useful to also be able to name the bookmarks at the time of creating them, in the osd (or when pressing 'bookmark' button without showing osd). just imagine that you make 10 bookmarks for a video file while playing it. if you later have to go to another interface to name them it will be hard to remember which is which.

just some ideas...  Smile
/mosax :) ...likes xbmc
think tivo!

i posted my thoughts about this before, a search should bring it up.
but basically, i'd love if the video play control osd resembled the tivo.

i also agree with an earlier post, there should be an option for osd skinning so people can write their own osd's.

thanks for all the great work!
Kodi v17.6 on Asustor NAS
Kodi v17.6 on Fire Stick v2
what's the tivo osd look like? and what functionality does it have (besides recording). we don't have it in australia so all i know about it is what i see in banners at the top of websites.

morien
(morien @ feb. 12 2004,04:51 Wrote:what's the tivo osd look like? and what functionality does it have (besides recording). we don't have it in australia so all i know about it is what i see in banners at the top of websites.
you can view the obnoxious flash demo here tivo demo

i really hope to have a nested osd where it is really simple (user-configured? only the main functions needed in 99% of need of use for video/music playback) in the default callup from hitting a button on my dvd-remote and then hitting the same button can call up a more featured osd displayed with the various sub-functions as mentioned before in this forum.

i do like how the tivo will in it's intial hitting of the play button will bringup that time bar with a simple graphic of what the mplayer is doing currently (say, playing at time <minuteConfusedecond>) placed on the center of the time bar where the viewer is at for the length of the video/music file.
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New OSD in development0