Playlist support for multiple servers
i have my files spread out over 25 or so disks on 4 servers. to make it possible to find something in this mess, i have a directory on one server with my preferred dir structure, where each file is represented by a playlist containing that file only (actually, i also have a similar structure with shortcuts). this dir is regenerated each night, so it is always more or less accurate.

it is a neat solution, but it does not work with xbmc. what's the problem?

well, the playlists understand paths fine, assuming they are on the same server. if the files reside on another server, it will not find them, even though both servers are defined in the smb config and i can browse to all the files without problem.

example:

a playlist named:
\\machogrande\files\movies\checked\mymovie.m3u
will play
\\machogrande\files\disk8\movies\checked\mymovie.avi
just fine, but it will not find a movie named
\\shitload\files\disk12\movies\checked\mymovie.avi
if i move the playlist to somewhere on \\shitload, the first file will fail and the second will be successful.

all this of course assumes that the paths are correct and the files exists.

it would be nice to be able to have playlists which span several servers.

(small disclaimer, my xbmc is a month or so old, so this may already be fixed, but i could not find anything on it in any release notes.)
write the contents of the playlist here - are you using relative paths?
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

you're playlists should reference the file in the format that xbmc knows from its bookmarks, or use correct relative paths from the location of the playlist.

lets assume you have a share "\\shitload\files" that is configured as "smb://workgroup;user:pass@shitload/files/" in your bookmarks.

example 1: full path:

the advantage is your playlist file can be anywhere and can reference files anywhere, but you need to reference "\\shitload\files\disk12\movies\checked\mymovie.avi"  as "smb://workgroup;user:pass@shitload/files/disk12/movies/checked/mymovie.avi".  (you may be able to get away with reverse slashes in this case.  i'm not sure.)

example 2: relative path:

here, your playlist has to be in the bookmark where all the files are located.  this example assumes its in the root located of the bookmark at "\\shitload\files\playlist.m3u".

you need to reference  "\\shitload\files\disk12\movies\checked\mymovie.avi" as "disk12\movies\checked\mymovie.avi"
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
thanks, #1 works just fine. would have taken me quite a while to figure out, i just assumed that it didn't need login info since it was already specified in the config.

great help, thanks for the quick response!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Playlist support for multiple servers0