How to Diagnose blue Screen
Alright so I keep getting a Blue Screen of death on my office desktop which I often use as an HTPc as well.

what is a good way to diagnose what the problem is. For the past few days I have noticed choppiness while watching a movie or tv show for about 10 seconds or so then it will go away for a few min then come back. I am starting to think that this Blue Screen has something to do with it.

Fix Blue Screen of Death and hopefully this will fix the Choppy playback as well.

AMD phenom 6 Core 3.4ghz
HD 6560 GPU
8 gigs of Ram

With this kind of hardware there is no way it should have problems playing 720p locally not streamed.
10:1 says it's a video driver issue. Get the latest driver from the manufacturer - not via windows update - and see if that fixes it.
-stoli-
stoli Wrote:10:1 says it's a video driver issue. Get the latest driver from the manufacturer - not via windows update - and see if that fixes it.

Drive issue for the Choppiness or the Blue Screen?

Either way it is the most up to date from http://www.amd.com/us/products/technolog...alyst.aspx
BSOD could very well be memory related, make sure it's seated well, and also make sure your BIOS settings match the memory.

Choppiness could also be background task related. I found on a quad core, I couldn't run XBMC and Mediaportal at the sme time. Playback (even with XBMC minimized) was very choppy on TMP. Anything else going on in the background? Your malware/av software up to date?
Yea Its new installed windows so not much is installed as of now. except things such as dropbox or microsoft security essentials.
Im probably going to format HD install fresh copy of windows and xbmc and everything and rule out its Software/Driver related at that point it has to be hardware related and the RAM is brand New as well as the GPU actually so I am hoping the Software is the issue and not hardware related.
New memory? Look there first... Memory used to be simple, it would either work or not, the last 4 PC I've built, I've had to man handle the memory to get it working. Updating the BIOS to recognize new memory isn't a bad idea, that's how I got one PC working.

My Windows woes have not been the fault of Windows for as long as I can recall. At least Win7, it's usually pretty good, if the hardware is working as it should...
Kirky99 Wrote:New memory? Look there first... Memory used to be simple, it would either work or not, the last 4 PC I've built, I've had to man handle the memory to get it working. Updating the BIOS to recognize new memory isn't a bad idea, that's how I got one PC working.

My Windows woes have not been the fault of Windows for as long as I can recall. At least Win7, it's usually pretty good, if the hardware is working as it should...

Well I get the Blue screen about once a week but for some reason I got it twice today! either way if it was bad memory wouldnt it happen pretty frequently?
Have you visit your mobo website? They might have updates there! Smile
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
toymachine2009 Wrote:Well I get the Blue screen about once a week but for some reason I got it twice today! either way if it was bad memory wouldnt it happen pretty frequently?
Not necessarily... Random BSODs can be all sorts of issues. Memory has been my biggest recently. I've seen it be caused by heat, as well as a failing power supply. Canned air solved the first (GPUs generate loads of heat) and the second needed a new PSU. Heat generally causes things to expand, which I attribute to the need to reseat memory at times.
let me suggest you grab the following app http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html , it will provide you useful information about the reason of your B.S.O.D.
i hope this will help you
karlr Wrote:let me suggest you grab the following app http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html , it will provide you useful information about the reason of your B.S.O.D.
i hope this will help you

Thanks I will try it out
This is because you have problems in Windows Registry. It is a common cause of Windows crashes and error messages. Registry problems can occur for many reasons, including references left behind after uninstalling, incorrect removal of software, missing or corrupt hardware drivers or orphaned start-up programs. This will significantly increase the Registry size and slow down your computer, because Windows will need more time to load, search, and read data from the Registry. Scan your system for errors with http://www.digeus.com/products/regcleane...eaner.html

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How to Diagnose blue Screen0