[NAS-USB] Ad-Hoc devices
The atv2 suffers from not having a usb host, but not all is lost I suppose
if you use a NIC to USB device, sever forms are available such as;

http://www.addonics.com/products/nas25hdu2.php

or

http://www.addonics.com/products/nas30u2.php

My goals is to connect it directly to the atv2 so no interference of a router.

2 questions?

1.) Is this possible in general to setup an ad-hoc network with static ips?

2.) Using ethernet disables wireless, and thus i would loose internet, could i trick the atv2 to use BOTH ethernet AND its wireless connection?
menno Wrote:The atv2 suffers from not having a usb host, but not all is lost I suppose
if you use a NIC to USB device, sever forms are available such as;

http://www.addonics.com/products/nas25hdu2.php

or

http://www.addonics.com/products/nas30u2.php

My goals is to connect it directly to the atv2 so no interference of a router.

2 questions?

1.) Is this possible in general to setup an ad-hoc network with static ips?

2.) Using ethernet disables wireless, and thus i would loose internet, could i trick the atv2 to use BOTH ethernet AND its wireless connection?

1. yes
2. no

but I dont understand why you are doing this.
easy fix would be buy a switch, connect the atv2 to the switch, connect that nas box you mention above to the switch and use static ips, done but then you still don't have internet (if you leave your router out of it) but you seem to want to use wifi, so you need your router anyway.

long story short, why do you want to do this ?
In this scenario, the atv2 is far away from the router, and no wired connection can be made between the router and the atv2.
The wifi connection from atv2 to router is of course fast enough to scrape movie info etc, but not to stream movies from the router attached nas or usb harddrive.
So ideally i would use ethernet-ethernet/usb-harddisk to connect a hdd to the atv2 without any buffering issues. But since the atv2 will disable its wifi it will loose the ability to scrape.

Your suggestion would only make sense if there is a wired connection to the atv2 but there isn't.

No internet on the atv2 unfortunately means no movie database. For music that is different. (unless i guess you let it read nfo files). I might let it scrape from nfo and than disconnect the ethernet just to let it scrape thumbs and other movie info.
menno Wrote:In this scenario, the atv2 is far away from the router, and no wired connection can be made between the router and the atv2.
The wifi connection from atv2 to router is of course fast enough to scrape movie info etc, but not to stream movies from the router attached nas or usb harddrive.
So ideally i would use ethernet-ethernet/usb-harddisk to connect a hdd to the atv2 without any buffering issues. But since the atv2 will disable its wifi it will loose the ability to scrape.

Your suggestion would only make sense if there is a wired connection to the atv2 but there isn't.

No internet on the atv2 unfortunately means no movie database. For music that is different. (unless i guess you let it read nfo files). I might let it scrape from nfo and than disconnect the ethernet just to let it scrape thumbs and other movie info.

for your internet link, buy a powerline ethernet adaptor, (ethernet over your powerlines) plug one end into your router and one near your atv2/switch, connect it to your switch, voila internet.
That is also a solution, I ll see what the cost are for

- switch
- 2x powerline ethernet adapters

meanwhile this is another solution and its 100 bucks

http://www.globalscaletechnologies.com/p...ndard.aspx

The beauty of this devices is that its an ethernet/usb nas adapter but also includes a wifi chip (rare on these devices). This way i can make my dream setup of

ethernet guruplug - usb - hdd
/
atv2-> - ethernet guruplug -wifi - router (fan art/imdb ratings e.a. full blown db)

since the guruplug runs debian its a breeze forwarding ethernet internet requests from the atv2 to the router.
menno Wrote:i would loose internet, could i trick the atv2 to use BOTH ethernet AND its wireless connection?

It might involve some sorcery but I'm sure it can probably be done somehow. Maybe some commandline default writes or something.
Code:
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `xbmc_%`.* TO 'xbmc'@'%';
IF you have a mysql problem, find one of the 4 dozen threads already open.
Are you going to look into using both at the same time?
thanks for the English lesson, I write phonetic English every now and than or erronous English just because of a lack of attention. Do you correct everybody or is it occasionally? You must have a lot of time on your hands!
Correcting non native speakers must be a hell of a job, respect!
menno Wrote:Are you going to look into using both at the same time?
Thanks for the English lesson. I write phonetic English every now and then or erroneous English just because of a lack of attention. Do you correct everybody or is it occasionally? You must have a lot of time on your hands!
Correcting non native speakers must be a hell of a job, respect!

Big Grin

Also - What is your time worth compared to buying hardware that will work?
what would require a lot of time but fix my problem?
menno Wrote:I write phonetic English every now

Then why did you wright loose? oo makes the ooooooo sound.

Lose phonetically would be like loze.

-

Try to ssh in and do an 'ifconfig'.
Wireless and Ethernet should be en0 & en1.

So try out:
ifconfig en1 up
ifconfig en0 up

It might just turn both of them on.
Code:
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `xbmc_%`.* TO 'xbmc'@'%';
IF you have a mysql problem, find one of the 4 dozen threads already open.
Keep an eye out on sales of routers that are DD-WRT compatible that have USB ports. I've seen some that were as inexpensive as $25, making them cheaper than most network to USB devices. Then you can use both your original router and the new router, so you have both internet and the USB HDD access.
Ned Scott Wrote:Keep an eye out on sales of routers that are DD-WRT compatible that have USB ports. I've seen some that were as inexpensive as $25, making them cheaper than most network to USB devices. Then you can use both your original router and the new router, so you have both internet and the USB HDD access.

Just bought a TL-WR1043ND for 50 euro and put Openwrt on it. It's an excellent router with a USB-port. Openwrt lets you share the usb-drive over the network via your favorite protocol (samba/nfs/ftp/...). If i'm right, this router also supports DD-WRT.
Openwrt is good too. Basically a router that will let you run one of the custom firmwares out there, since most routers by default have limited features.
menno Wrote:In this scenario, the atv2 is far away from the router, and no wired connection can be made between the router and the atv2.

What about connecting the ATV to the pc (i.e classic Win 7 with usb hd) via ethernet.... connect the pc via WiFi to the router an share that connection (internet and smb shared) to the eth port too?

Is it possible? How to make it? I'll give a try on my home if possible because I've got the same problem (no wired connection to the router from ATV)....

Thanks!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[NAS-USB] Ad-Hoc devices0