adding on the shelf dvd's to the library
First off, if I weren't typing... I'd be clapping! you people that do this are amazing! truly a great piece of software!

I have only been using this for about a week now but I'm very very happy with what it can do. I upgraded to eden yesterday and have been itching to add all my DVD's and Bluray's to my library (I have almost 3000) but I'm running into a little glitch. I added several stub files and it worked great but
I want to have the movie library show only my "on hard drive" content and be able to add a button to the home menu to show the "disk" collection separately. acting as two separate collections

I have searched and searched and read and read but have not come up with a solution other than marking the disk's seen and hiding watched movies.

The solutions I've tried so far are

a) set a different profile (seemed cumbersome and hard to toggle modes)
B) tried several skins that say they offer custom buttons for the home screen but they either didn't have mouse support (whats up with that?) or just didn't work
c) Setting the folder as a favorite, this didn't eliminate the show hide problem and the disk's still showed up in the library unless I hid them with the seen option.

is there anyway to have more than one DB and switch between them easily?

If anyone has any thoughts on this please type slow and use small words.... you know like I'm an idiot..Smile I'm looking at playlist now as a solution but figured I spent so much time trying to figure this out it was time to ask for help.
just addressing mouse support, if you have an android phone there is a free , official remote that is a blessing. a paid one exists for webos and iphones.
you say yo want the disk collection separately listed. separate from what? i didn't quite get that.
if you mean separate from the stubs, maybe just add local files to the library since you've got so many, and access the stubs thru file view.
wes paich Wrote:just addressing mouse support, if you have an android phone there is a free , official remote that is a blessing. a paid one exists for webos and iphones.
you say yo want the disk collection separately listed. separate from what? i didn't quite get that.

well as is sits now I only added 20 or so "disks" and I want to use this as primarily a HTPC and going forward only add files (not buy dvds anymore) Im doing this for storage space more than anything else. I have 128 feet of shelf that my collection of dvds takes up if I add any more Ill need to get a divorce...LOL so basically I want one movie library of "push a button and watch movies" and a separate library of "find the disk and push several buttons" to watch DVD's

having that many movies in the library (especially ones I have seen many times) makes navigating it a pain. but people still come over and use my collection as their own personal blockbuster and it would be nice to sit them down with the remote and let them pick from there rather than tell them what each movie is all about and is it good or not....LOL
I guess the best way to explain what I want do do is just like TV shows are separate from movies I want DVD's to be separate from movies.
all you have to do is have 2 x folders. one called local, the other called external.

you still scan the items to the library, however you access the movies via file mode, and not library view. If your using confluence skin(default), you can still have option to display the folder movie thumbs.

i hope this solves your problems.

regards,
Dam0
Dam0 Wrote:all you have to do is have 2 x folders. one called local, the other called external.

you still scan the items to the library, however you access the movies via file mode, and not library view. If your using confluence skin(default), you can still have option to display the folder movie thumbs.

i hope this solves your problems.

regards,
Dam0

Well the whole point is to provide all the information that is in the library for each DVD, using just the file name I may as well just hand them a .txt file. I was even hoping to give people access to it over the internet so they could browse my dvds from there home.

I may just leave a copy of Movie Collectorz or DVD profiler and go outside xbmc for the dvd's until I can learn enough about it to do it myself, either through code or skinning, I'm of the belief that the program should fit your needs rather than me conforming to the software....

it's a shame really that there isn't a way to just set a filter to show or hide dvd's as opposed to files. they are two completely different animals. this is standard equipment in most movie catalog programs. I understand this program is much, much, more than that. I also understand this is a small problem for just one user. Still it seems such a simple thing to accomplish with no apparent solution. odd for such a cool program to not be flexible enough to handle it.

anyway thank you for your thoughts, I'll keep looking for a solution that fits my needs but I'm not to confident Ill find one soon.
instead of falling back to file mode, you could also create 2 Smart Playlists. You put all your Stub files under 1 directory, D:\Shelf for example, and configure one Playlist to include that path. The other Playlist to exclude this Path.
Ara1 Wrote:instead of falling back to file mode, you could also create 2 Smart Playlists. You put all your Stub files under 1 directory, D:\Shelf for example, and configure one Playlist to include that path. The other Playlist to exclude this Path.

Yes that is the way to go... that is the way I already have it set (all stub files in a separate directory) I've been looking at a tutorial located here - http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=89678 it seems to be exactly what I wanted. now I just have to muster up the brain power to understand it...LOL I use to do a little web page work (about 100 years ago) and know a little PHP but this is totally different. and the problem with hacks is the code is always changing so you need to do it every time the skin is updated Sad but if this is the only way to do it..... so be it. Ill just save it as a backup file as well so I can cut and paste if it breaks.

Thank you for your input, it's much appreciated
I think this tutorial overcomplicates things a lot. You don't have to code anything, Playlists can be configured in the GUI, as well as setting them as favorites and displaying them on the Front Page (at least most Skins offer this).
Star 
Just adding my two cents... I like DamO's solution the best.. With Eden most of the functions of movie library, are also available in file mode. Check out the skin Transparency! Great mouse support and I don't think you'll be disappointed.
Ara1 Wrote:I think this tutorial overcomplicates things a lot. You don't have to code anything, Playlists can be configured in the GUI, as well as setting them as favorites and displaying them on the Front Page (at least most Skins offer this).

As I see it, the program over complicates it. if it had a proper filter there would be no need for the tutorial... LOL But I understand what your saying...Smile
PatK Wrote:Just adding my two cents... I like DamO's solution the best.. With Eden most of the functions of movie library, are also available in file mode. Check out the skin Transparency! Great mouse support and I don't think you'll be disappointed.

I have the Eden beta release and if file mode none of the information like plot or rating show up. I don't see how this is considered "most" of the features.

I have downloaded all the skins available from within the program and played with them for an hour or so.... the ones I like aeon don't have mouse support the others just don,t seem quite right for me. I do like confluence, it seems to flow the best and wheel scrolling isn't choppy like other skins.

anyway thanks for your thoughts, I'm reading up more on it and know I'll figure it out somehow. there is just a lot to read......Shocked

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
adding on the shelf dvd's to the library0