[Eden] Making large file copy warning threshold size configurable
There's a warning dialog box in Eden that asks me to confirm large file extractions to the cache (searching the forum I understand it has been there before and is now back). It's followed by a progress dialog if I press "yes".

Since I do not have control over when XBMC decides to have to extract a file and it's somewhat annoying to have these things pop up while watching a movie, I'd like to suggest the threshold size for both dialogs to be made configurable, perhaps through advancedsettings.xml.

Browsing the source I found that both are hard-wired constants (EXTRACTION_WARN_SIZE and a literal). If they were configurable, the user could decide what actions he wants to be asked and informed about. It's surely a difference wether the action takes place over gbit ethernet to a SSD on a powerful CPU or on a setup for which the operation would cause stuttering playback.

What do you think? Is that an issue for anyone else?
Yes this is an issue for me too. version 10 did not do this. Eden now pops up these confirmation dialog boxes every time I go to the movie list. If it could at least "remember" that it had done the copy sometime in the past, that would be better, but the darn thing keeps asking me for the same files over and over and over and over and over and over and over again for the same files. Did I mention that it asks over and over and over and over and over again for the same files? It is very anoying, and make the system unusable at times.
The "bad" behavior is the same between eden beta3 and RC2. But non-existent on version 10.
You have a movie in a compressed RAR. Get rid of it.

If it occurs when you don't actually click on a file, then I agree that it's something that's not so nice (unfortunately I expect it's non-trivial to fix).
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

(2012-03-14, 05:01)jmarshall Wrote: You have a movie in a compressed RAR. Get rid of it.

Is there any other way? i don´t want to unrar it or delete it.
I know this has been answered, but has anyone found a sollution to this?
I recently upgraded to eden and this makes watching movies unbearable. Besides that everything else is perfect.
BUT every minute the warning pops up!
Could you please atleast make this annoying popup silent as an option ? or via some other way . settings.xml
Because as it is now i am thinking of going back to 10.
Deleting the files is not an option and i have quite a large collection.
Thank you

If the warning keeps popping up it's because one of your rar sets is compressed.

Get rid of it - the log will likely tell you which one it is.

Rar sets are fine if they're uncompressed. Rars that are compressed MUST be uncompressed fully (thus huge amounts of space used up) before they can be opened for playback or to extract stream information/thumbs etc. which is likely what is going on here.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

The thing is that rar set that it complains about, is not the movie been played?
Why does xbmc need to unrar a set to the cache in the backgroud when it has no right doing so.
I have not selected it to play nor was i browsing in the folder.
If it is for some other reason like updating the library it should ignore it or atleast be silent

It's extracting stream details from it most likely. I agree it should ignore it, but it doesn't. So your only option at this point is to unrar said file. After all, it's completely unplayable without being unrar'd anyway, so why keep it like that?

The thing is that i have a couple of dozen movies sets which are done like that and some of them are quite hard to find and i would like to keep them rather than deleting them.
Anyway at the end i might delete them yeah or move them to another folder but its a pity that there is not a workaround.
As a suggestion to this instead of the yes no typical message box , maybe you could give a third option 'ignore' and after pressing that xbmc would just ignore it while trying to extract metadata/stream details.

With that been said i was quite suprised that its not a more popular request since the behaviour is quite intrusive and doesn't let you watch a movie. Except from that everything else is perfect. Anyway thank you for your time
No need to delete them, just unrar them. Again, they are not playable as-is in any software on the planet.

Yes, there's an issue that it prompts you at times when it shouldn't, and that will be remedied, but in the meantime you only have one choice anyway.

The intention is to annoy you.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Eden] Making large file copy warning threshold size configurable1