[AppleTV1] Installing Python on ATV
Hello,
I am a new member of this forum and I would like some help, or assistance :confused2:, on installing Python on our Apple TV 1 firmware 3.0.2 because we want to get AirPlayer compatible on our AppleTV1 and be able to use it correctly as an AirPlay device. I am aware that you are not able to do this normally, but I have XBMC installed on our ATV and I have read a thread on how to get AirPlayer on the AppleTV but I'm still at the beginning: Installing Python on the device (apple tv) to follow the tutorial further, however.. I'm at a stage where I can't figure out what to do and in a bit of a twist. Here's my problem: I've tried two tutorials on how to install Python on the ATV but I'm stuck on one of the tutorials like so:
***LINK**** where I'm nearly finished but I get an error on:
Code:
sudo ln -s /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/Current/bin/python /usr/bin/python
and the error says:
Code:
ln: /usr/bin/python: Read-only file system
Now, for the other tutorial I am following.... here:
***LINK*** and I am stuck on this following piece of code:
Code:
tar cvf - -C/Volumes/PythonInstall/* | tar xvf - -C/
where I get this error:
Code:
tar: Cowardly refusing to create an empty archive
Try `tar --help' for more information.
I hope that I have provided you with enough information for at least someone to help me with my problem.
Many thanks and regards,

tommykins20

EDIT:
Please help, I know this sounds like I want to be spoonfed with help but this is really, JUST my ONLY help I have.. please help someone Tongue
Hello again,
Sorry if I'm acting like I want to be spoonfed here with help and I know I'm being a little big inpatient but could someone PLEASE help me with this? Please, please... pwetty pweaseHuh
Thanks
why do you want to install other version of python to ATV1?

EDIT: ok, see it now... you want to stream from ATV1 to other devices?

the command in the second link is incorrect... read the comments

Quote:tar -cvf - -C /Volumes/PythonInstall/ . | tar -xvpf - -C /
amet Wrote:why do you want to install other version of python to ATV1?

EDIT: ok, see it now... you want to stream from ATV1 to other devices?

the command in the second link is incorrect... read the comments

Hi thank you soo much for replying, but I am aware of the comments and that the one is incorrect but I tried that (basically c+p because I am brainless about MS-DOS and stuff) but it didn't work.. please help? But I thank you so much for replying Smile
I would like to stream TO ATV1, using airplayer which I want to allow on the ATV. So basically like the ATV2, we can use AirPlayer for any device to stream content to the AppleTV. (And Remote HD is not an option Oo)
Wink
if you want to stream TO ATV1, install Eden and enable airplay... thats all
I've just got a old atv1 working to have a play with the aiplay functionality... Ive had it streaming audio photo and YouTube videos, and I have a couple of video files from iTunes but I can't get those to play, before I post logs etc I wanted to check if this is an protection issue as I guess the videos are drm'd?

Sorry scratch that, I pretty much answered my own question there, serves me right for hijacking this thread!
The specific forum for Constellation can be found Here.

If anyone is looking for a usenet account try here, great unlimited service!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[AppleTV1] Installing Python on ATV0