Keyboard support?
hey, i'm trying to make some hardware for my box using usb...
what i want to know is how the keyboard got supported in xbmc...
i'm just starting out, and i figure that knowing how you guys got the usb keyboards to work might give me a little clue as to how other usb devices might be included

and i don't want any of this "well you don't know crap pdg1, so don't even bother trying to do this stupid project"
please and thank you
keyboard support is in the xdk. all we needed to do was:

1. enable it (it's just a #define)

2. add the included xdk code to detect the keyboard and pick up the button presses.

3. map these button presses to events in xbmc.

there was no need to write keyboard/usb drivers or anything like that as it was already available to us.

that's why you don't see support for any other usb devices (other than mice, which the xdk takes care of as well) - we don't have drivers.

cheers,
jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

also i think the keyboard has to be hid compliant or something which pretty much all usb keyboards are.
jmarshall Wrote:keyboard support is in the xdk. all we needed to do was:

1. enable it (it's just a #define)

2. add the included xdk code to detect the keyboard and pick up the button presses.

3. map these button presses to events in xbmc.

there was no need to write keyboard/usb drivers or anything like that as it was already available to us.

that's why you don't see support for any other usb devices (other than mice, which the xdk takes care of as well) - we don't have drivers.

cheers,
jonathan

well there's still support for microphones, controllers and memory Cards, isn't there?
but yea... I guess the XDK takes care of those aswell
I've pretty much given up on USB devices on the Xbox
I realize that it was a silly idea in the first place
and there's way more prospect in other things
and there's already things like the Sling box...
If I could make something like that only easier and less expensive...
I'd be impressed with myselfTongue
Heh .... looks like there was a tiny bit of latency in following up on your topic.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Keyboard support?0