AirPlay device name options
I asked for a similar feature a while back, had no reply
Current setup:
Amlogic M3/MX + Linux + BOXiK Skin + Pioneer vsx520 + Dali Lektor 6

Previous setup:
Revo 3700 + flirc + OpenElec nightlies + Quartz + Pioneer vsx520 + Dali Lektor 6
atv1 + Crystalbuntu + XBMC nightly + xperience1080
Settings -> Network -> Device name should be it (use eden beta)

---
edit: oh, totally misread the question
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forums before posting.
Do NOT e-mail Team-XBMC members asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, make sure you read this first

My previous forum/trac nickname: grajen3
I would like to propose an option to disable the @Machine.domain name from the name.
bello Wrote:I would like to propose an option to disable the @Machine.domain name from the name.

that would be good
pieh Wrote:Settings -> Network -> Device name should be it (use eden beta)

---
edit: oh, totally misread the question

So any chance we may get this Rolleyes
Current setup:
Amlogic M3/MX + Linux + BOXiK Skin + Pioneer vsx520 + Dali Lektor 6

Previous setup:
Revo 3700 + flirc + OpenElec nightlies + Quartz + Pioneer vsx520 + Dali Lektor 6
atv1 + Crystalbuntu + XBMC nightly + xperience1080
patches are welcome
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Where exactly does xbmc pick up the name for AirPlay? I've just had to do a scratch hdd rebuild for my atv1 and it's still got the original name, it would be handy to change it
The specific forum for Constellation can be found Here.

If anyone is looking for a usenet account try here, great unlimited service!
Memphiz Wrote:patches are welcome

Um. You mean like mine?
That I submitted 3 months ago.
Then was promptly told. "That's nice but we're doing this instead".

http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/12103

Look at those patches, it shows where to hook in to change the names.

[Every time the "Patches Welcome" spiel comes out and there ARE patches out (Like with Dual Audio) it loses some of the effectiveness of getting people motivated to actually work on stuff]
Code:
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `xbmc_%`.* TO 'xbmc'@'%';
IF you have a mysql problem, find one of the 4 dozen threads already open.
would you please stop with the DualAudio stuff? Decision has been made - accept it.
da-anda Wrote:would you please stop with the DualAudio stuff? Decision has been made - accept it.

It's a case in point.

Just like with the patch I made that solves the entire point of this thread and then we got a "Patches Welcome" comment it really kind of pissed me off. So I can only understand how the DA guy feels since it took him a whole lot longer to make his patch than mine.

Quit posting "patches welcome" or put it with the "well if we decide we like this feature because they're not always. It appears in 712 threads according to Google.

I'll read patches welcome the exact same I read donations welcome and will hold off with both from here on out.
Code:
I understand your point, don't get me wrong. And DA itself is nice if one has a according hardware setup, and it's for sure hard to see when a patch for a feature with personal interrest is ready and working but not merged. But having AE in the pipe it doesn't make sense to merge it, does it? Please be patient with the devs.

@"patches welcome"
Maybe devs should rephrase it to "PullRequests welcome", because they don't get out of focus that fast like patches and can more easily be tested and merged Smile

But let's don't get off topic here. I'll see if I can get a according change in.

edit: the @networkName seems to come from the ZeroConf lib - it's nothing XBMC is adding - we'll have a look if we can get ridd of it. So it has nothing to do with your patch darkscout - your patch would result in the same behavior as currently is, except that the way it's currently implemented you can easily change the announced AirPlay name via "System -> Settings -> Network -> Device name" and don't have to modify advancedSettings.xml. So your feature request has been added but in a improved version - a little excuse might be apropriate Wink
da-anda Wrote:edit: the @networkName seems to come from the ZeroConf lib - it's nothing XBMC is adding - we'll have a look if we can get ridd of it. So it has nothing to do with your patch darkscout - your patch would result in the same behavior as currently is, except that the way it's currently implemented you can easily change the announced AirPlay name via "System -> Settings -> Network -> Device name" and don't have to modify advancedSettings.xml. So your feature request has been added but in a improved version - a little excuse might be apropriate Wink

You have to have the @mac address. That's part of Zero Conf.

XBMC puts it in twice. iTunes/iPods will filter the mac address out.

Code:
-  wlan0 IPv4 XBMC (lappy)@work                              _airplay._tcp        local
-  wlan0 IPv6 00216AC5E3F2@XBMC (lappy)@work                 AirTunes Remote Audio local

Airplay puts the computer name in parethesis. AirTunes puts it in Parethesis AND at the end of the @.

I believe the reasoning was that so on iOS devices it can tell the difference between the native one and XBMC, otherwise they look identical.

Edit: double checked. Just changed my friendly name to "Testing". So iTunes etc show up as "Testing@lappy".

Code:
eth0 IPv4 00216AC5E3F2@Testing@lappy                     AirTunes Remote Audio local
Code:
darkscout Wrote:Um. You mean like mine?
That I submitted 3 months ago.
Then was promptly told. "That's nice but we're doing this instead".

http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/12103

Look at those patches, it shows where to hook in to change the names.

[Every time the "Patches Welcome" spiel comes out and there ARE patches out (Like with Dual Audio) it loses some of the effectiveness of getting people motivated to actually work on stuff]

sorry but maybe i'm too dumb for this ... your patch does nearly the same as what is implemented now ... it makes the part after the @ configurable by using the server friendly name. Only difference i see is, that your patch makes it configurable through as.xml and implementation should change it through the gui ... so in 3 sentence (i just don't have any fucking free time to read so much stuff atm - sorry ... fuck the real life) - whats the difference between your patch and "ours"?

edit:
As you can see hear https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/commit/e122...182e8e2d03

davilla had to partly change back the airtunes patch because it b0rked something ... so your patch might b0rk the same imho ... though i don't know what exactly it was ...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/commit/9d58...4583fb4099

https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/commit/8308...7478a1a4cd

everyone happy now, what you put in the settings will appear exactly as you have it.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
AirPlay device name options0