Does XBMC 'Eden' show volume up and down
Win 7
XBMC version 11.0 (eden)

The volume control up-down works fine but there is NO visual display thay the volume is going up oe down. I have tried various skins but no display.

Is this normal.

Is it possible to get a volume up and down display?

Thanks very much. XBMC really works for me.
dubstepper Wrote:Win 7
XBMC version 11.0 (eden)

The volume control up-down works fine but there is NO visual display thay the volume is going up oe down. I have tried various skins but no display.

Is this normal.

Is it possible to get a volume up and down display?

Thanks very much. XBMC really works for me.

it goes in Xperience skin.
If I understand correctly - and in the default Confluence (the volume bar, top right)
Prof Yaffle Wrote:If I understand correctly - and in the default Confluence (the volume bar, top right)
Nothing shows at all. Top right / Top Left / Bottom right or left. Zero. Volume works fine though.
It sounds as if you're adjusting the system volume not the XBMC volume. If you're using Windows and you're remote sends volume APPCOMMAND messages then the remote will change the Windows volume not the XBMC volume. Try pressing + or - on the keyboard and see if the volume control appears.

JR
jhsrennie Wrote:It sounds as if you're adjusting the system volume not the XBMC volume. If you're using Windows and you're remote sends volume APPCOMMAND messages then the remote will change the Windows volume not the XBMC volume. Try pressing + or - on the keyboard and see if the volume control appears.

JR
Ok. There you go. Yes. Pressing + and - brings up the volume display.

How do I correct this?
By default XBMC for Windows ignores the volume APPCOMMAND messages. You just need to tell it to process those messages, and you do this by creating an action mapping file in your userdata folder. Press Windows-R and in the Run dialog type:

notepad "%APPDATA%\XBMC\userdata\keymaps\appcommand.xml"

Click OK, and when you're prompted to create a new file answer Yes. Copy and paste the following into Notepad:

Code:
<keymap>
  <global>
    <appcommand>
      <volume_mute>Mute</volume_mute>
      <volume_down>VolumeDown</volume_down>
      <volume_up>VolumeUp</volume_up>
    </appcommand>
  </global>
</keymap>

Close Notepad and save the changes. You should now find that the volume buttons on your remote control the XBMC volume.

JR
Work perfectly. Now I have volume display. Thank you very much.

Created the file in my user directory and XBMC adjusted immediately. Nice.

Noted that the XBMC volume is controlled by whatever the system volume is set to. If you have set a low system volume before starting XBMC then that becomes the maximum volume XBMC can use. If you have muted your system volume XMBC is also mute.

Which leads me to ask.

Is it possible to have XBMC control the system volume AND display that as the volume control.
dubstepper Wrote:Is it possible to have XBMC control the system volume AND display that as the volume control.

No.

JR
(2012-01-01, 14:26)jhsrennie Wrote:
dubstepper Wrote:Is it possible to have XBMC control the system volume AND display that as the volume control.

No.

JR

In Windows 8 the system volume now shows up on the screen when changed, however this overlay does not appear when in xbmc. Is there anyway to implement this?

No.

JR
What's the reason? Sorry, just curious.
(2012-03-18, 03:23)StinDaWg Wrote: In Windows 8 the system volume now shows up on the screen when changed, however this overlay does not appear when in xbmc. Is there anyway to implement this?

I suspect that it would be a bad thing if they did. All sorts of notification windows and such would then be able to interrupt XBMC and/or steal the window focus.
(2012-03-19, 09:47)Ned Scott Wrote: I suspect that it would be a bad thing if they did. All sorts of notification windows and such would then be able to interrupt XBMC and/or steal the window focus.

Minimising XBMC in the process ...

JR
(2012-03-18, 03:23)StinDaWg Wrote:
(2012-01-01, 14:26)jhsrennie Wrote:

No.

JR

In Windows 8 the system volume now shows up on the screen when changed, however this overlay does not appear when in xbmc. Is there anyway to implement this?

It shows in windows 8 for me...Im in consumer preview in full screen mode

PS, It is a very minimal overlay (smaller than the Transparency and Confluence skin's popup) and I tested it on 2 desktops and a laptop with the same result

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Does XBMC 'Eden' show volume up and down0