New User - Need a little setup help please
Question 
Hello all,

I am new to XBMC so I was hoping it would be ok to start this one thread and ask various questions in getting it setup (to provide close to the functionality I had with my MediaPortal system).

I do not need TV or TV card recording or support any more. For now, I really just need to be able to play my locally stored audio and video files. I will try to use the WiKi and search the forum before asking.

This is what I have done so far ...
Stopped MediaPortal from AutoStarting on Windows boot
Installed XBMC for Windows v10.1
- Setup Media Folders for MP3s, Video Files, and DVD Folders (VIDEO_TS)

Looks good so far ... your developers are doing a great job here ... very nice. Plasma display and Amp are working. I think the MCE remote needs some setup, but I will check the Wiki before asking about that.

Questions:
1. It's my understanding that XBMC uses it's own codecs, right? Nothing I have installed for MediaPortal to work (FFDShow, PowerDVD, etc.) should interfere with XBMC, right?

2. So far, most videos are fine (AVI-Divx/Xvid). 720p MKVs seem to be ok also (briefly tested). HOWEVER, I'm getting some pretty bad video skipping on all my 1080p MKVs. Isn't the machine described below good enough?

My HTPC config:
Gigabyte MA78GM-US2H miniATX (AMD 780G + SB700 Chipset)
- ATI Radeon HD 3200 (similar to HD2400) VGA-DVI-HDMI (Currently Disabled)
- Realtek ALC889A HD-Audio (Analog, SPDIF, HDMI)
AMD Athlon-64 X2 4200+ (2.2 Ghz) Dual-Core
2 x 1gb = 2gb : PC2-4200 DDR2-533 Hynix RAM (in Dual-Channel Mode)
AMD-ATI XFX 5670 1gb PCIe (HD-567x-ZNL3) VGA-DVI-HDMI
WD 4 x 1-TB (Black-7200) Sata HDD (1 via eSata)
DVD-ROM Nec ND-3500AG (IDE)
Happauge WinTV-HVR-1600 MCE PCI MCE 1183
Ultra LS-400 Power Supply

Windows XP Pro (32bit) SP3
MediaPortal 1.1.x
SAF 5.02 (FFDShow and other various codec helpers)

Panasonic TH-46pz850u 46" 1080p Plasma TV
Onkyo TX-sr607 7.2 HDMI Audio/Video Amplifier/Receiver (630 watts)
MCE RC6 Remote (with eHome USB IR receiver)
JBL Speakers
Infinity Subwoofer
Yes, XBMC used its own codecs. Too bad, you cannot use XBMC hardware acceleration option with XP. :mad:
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
bluray Wrote:Yes, XBMC used its own codecs. Too bad, you cannot use XBMC hardware acceleration option with XP. :mad:

Thanks for the quick reply... So question #1 is answered.

So XP is what is holding me back on 1080p MKVs? I only use XP because it's "lighter" ... but if Windows-7 is the answer ... I'll build up another machine or create a new partition on this box (for a full install). Win-7 Pro (64 bit) would be ok?
bluray Wrote:Yes, XBMC used its own codecs. Too bad, you cannot use XBMC hardware acceleration option with XP. :mad:

Maybe I should ask this way ...

With an older dual-core (but with nice AMD video card) ...

What OS and software do I need to install to get 1080p MKV files working?
DXVA Hardware Acceleration works from Windows Vista onward, so Vista/7 would be fine.
You can also try XBMC Live or Openelec, but ATI Support isn't that good under Linux.
Tesla Wrote:Maybe I should ask this way ...

With an older dual-core (but with nice AMD video card) ...

What OS and software do I need to install to get 1080p MKV files working?
With this $29 "AMD HD6450" discrete GPU and Windows 7, you should be able to playback all BD files in 1080P video using XBMC. If you want to bitstream the latest BD DTS-HD and TrueHD audio, you can use my guide to do that- Another External Player Code, but Very Simple to Setup. Smile
OK ... I'm rebuilding the machine with Win7-64 Pro.

I'm going to install 10.1 again, and try to get DXVA Hardware Acceleration working. I'm going to try to run only HDMI this time (both video and audio over it).

But what about Eden beta? Can I also install this (in a separate folder) and run either one (and they won't interfere with each other)? Also, when I install Addons or Plugins (sorry ... I'm new with the terminology) into Eden Beta ... will they still work since I installed to a "non-standard" folder name? Will I have problems with UserData folder with both installed (not sure what all is in there ... but it sounds like important settings).
HTPC: Intel e6600 dual-core, ATI 5670 (HDMI), Gefen HDMI Detective Plus, Synology 12tb RAID-5 NAS
Software: Windows-10 Pro, Kodi v16.1
Home Theater: Onkyo 607 AVR, Epson 8350 Projector, Apple-TV4, BD-60 BluRay, Cisco DVR, Harmony 670
Speakers: Polk Audio Series II and Polk Subwoofer.
Tesla Wrote:But what about Eden beta? Can I also install this (in a separate folder) and run either one (and they won't interfere with each other)? Also, when I install Addons or Plugins (sorry ... I'm new with the terminology) into Eden Beta ... will they still work since I installed to a "non-standard" folder name? Will I have problems with UserData folder with both installed (not sure what all is in there ... but it sounds like important settings).
Yes, it's listed in my thread- Another External Player Code, but Very Simple to Setup.
I just wanted to say thanks for the help. XBMC is very nice (great work developers).

I didn't want to erase my XP-MediaPortal machine, plus I had a new box that I've been meaning to build up and switch over to (faster Intel Core2 dual-core and lots more HDD bays). I just moved the AMD-5670 over and installed Win7-64 Pro.

Intel Core2Duo E6600 @ 2.4ghz
8 gb RAM
AMD 5670 (HDMI only to Onkyo amp)

XBMC 10.1
DXVA2 Enabled (9% average at 1080p)

Everything works great ... 1080p and HDMI 7.1 sound ... all work great. Onkyo amp is doing it's bitsteam thing. Anyway, just wanted to update the thread and let you know my first XBMC build is going great and I'm impressed at how easy it was to setup and how well it works.

Now, onto the little adjustments and getting to where the MePo box was and beyond.
I found a couple of "Movie Trailer" addons (Yahoo's and another).

But where is Last.FM or Pandora?

Also, what about Lyrics?
Tesla Wrote:I found a couple of "Movie Trailer" addons (Yahoo's and another).

Also, what about Lyrics?

Ok, i got Last.FM setup (kinda weird setup ... spread out like that).
Pandora would still be nice.

CU Lyrics: Just gives me ...
"Fetching lyrics from LyricWiki.org, API Failed

LRC Lyrics:
Seems to work ok ... but might be making my install unstable (first time I saw XBMC crash this was on-screen).
Would be interested to hear what you guys are using for settings/scrappers ... or just generally what you are using for Lyrics.
bluray Wrote:Yes, it's listed in my thread- Another External Player Code, but Very Simple to Setup.

Hey Bluray ... you seem to know a lot about this.

Do you have a list of the different ATI cards and what level/channels of HDMI sound each support over HDMI?

Thinking 4xxx, 5xxx, 6xxx, and I suppose even 7xxx now.

Also, I tried to download your Word doc from 2shared and it was corrupt.
HTPC: Intel e6600 dual-core, ATI 5670 (HDMI), Gefen HDMI Detective Plus, Synology 12tb RAID-5 NAS
Home Theater: Onkyo 607 AVR, Epson 8350 Projector, Apple-TV4, BD-60 BluRay, Cisco DVR, Harmony 670
(2012-01-04, 07:01)Tesla Wrote: I found a couple of "Movie Trailer" addons (Yahoo's and another).

Also, what about Lyrics?

Just to finish out this thread ...

I found all this and more. XBMC-HTPC has been working great for many months (and I haven't done anything to it lately). I just play my media with it.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New User - Need a little setup help please0