• 5(current)
Creation of new site for XBMC Add-Ons
amet Wrote:same as what we do with skins, whats your point?

My point is this:

rogerthis Wrote:The whole "Plugin/Script (Python) Addons Help and Support" is a complete mess on xbmc.org at the moment. You simply can't find anything. There are 3 full pages of threads that have been active in the past 24 hours.

Currently on "Plugin/Script (Python) Addons Help and Support" there are 303 people and has zero sub forums.

On "Skin Specific Help and Support" there are 85 people and 28 sub forums.

And there is no plan to change it until you move to a new forum. I'm not privy to when this is going to happen. Is there any time-scale on this?

XBMCHub is doing xbmc.org a service. It will host what xbmc.org won't. It's not trying to compete with xbmc.org, it's trying to help. Why won't XBMCHub want to host more addons, when it can do a better job than xbmc.org(at the moment)?

The icefilms addon is important to xbmc, it has brought a lot of new people to the project. And will continue to bring more. I'd guess the numbers may have doubled in the last year because of it.

I have a problem with the addon development being disjointed because of new stance. Having the right eyeballs look at a problem, can help the whole situation. That's why I believe(at the moment) than all addons should move to XBMCHub.
Surely it would be better to try and fix the problem here, than move before we had a chance to do so ?

And it's nice that you who want to see all add-ons move there finally say so, it makes this whole discussion a lot more honest.

But please give us a chance first. We can't give a solid ETA for forum change, it's so much work to convert it etc.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

pike Wrote:And it's nice that you who want to see all add-ons move there finally say so, it makes this whole discussion a lot more honest.

Yes, your right, I want to see all addon development in the one place.
But sorry, I am not XBMCHub.
rogerthis Wrote:My point is this:

And there is no plan to change it until you move to a new forum. I'm not privy to when this is going to happen. Is there any time-scale on this?

my bad, I should have said that we are actually working on this now, it will take some time as the conversion is a slow and painfull process but we are on it.

rogerthis Wrote:XBMCHub is doing xbmc.org a service. It will host what xbmc.org won't. It's not trying to compete with xbmc.org, it's trying to help. Why won't XBMCHub want to host more addons, when it can do a better job than xbmc.org(at the moment)?

I have no issue with the Hub, but I dont think we are solving the issue of the addon development by moving it there.

rogerthis Wrote:The icefilms addon is important to xbmc, it has brought a lot of new people to the project. And will continue to bring more. I'd guess the numbers may have doubled in the last year because of it.

whether they doubled is hard to say, it has brought the new people to the project but thats not what this project is about. its not about streaming the pirated videos, you can do that with just about any player. without wanting to sound rude or ungrateful for the new users, and not speaking for the entire Team-XBMC... if we need IceFilms addon to attract new users we are doing something wrong and might as well just close down the whole thing.

if "Hub" wants the icefilms users, the crowd that bought ATV2 thinking "yeah... 99 bucks and all you can watch IceFilms... whats XBMC?" ... sure, have them... but dont think for a second that you doing us a favor by supporting it and offering to help with it. I

I challenge you to find more than 5 new users that came to this site cos of Icefilms addon and have contributed anything and have more than 10 posts.

rogerthis Wrote:I have a problem with the addon development being disjointed because of new stance. Having the right eyeballs look at a problem, can help the whole situation. That's why I believe(at the moment) than all addons should move to XBMCHub.

I will repeat, there is maximum 2-3 addons affected by the new stance, and OFC I am allowed to disagree with your opinion about moving all addons Smile
@ amet
Nerd
- you are seeming overly hostile, or aggressive, considering the discussion. It is simple. Many of us would like to see all add-ons and plugins in ONE PLACE. I deal situation is that they are all housed on XBMC.org. The new stance means this cannot happen, hence my project with XBMC HUB... hence some wanting to see them move.

I am not promoting this or trying to pull other devs away for your site. In fact I state many times in many threads that this is something I WILL NOT ATTEMPT. But to act like this desire makes no sense is simply ludicrous.

The desire is not to move the ADDON community for the sake of moving them. The desire comes from the new need to move some big players in that family, and for those finding them on our site... the desire is to give those users a full experience in finding all other tools.

Will this happen? Likely not. XBMC is good at, what they are good at... but XBMC HUB will be there if and when others want to join in. Shocked

---if "Hub" wants the icefilms users, the crowd that bought ATV2 thinking "yeah... 99 bucks and all you can watch IceFilms... whats XBMC?" ... sure, have them... but dont think for a second that you doing us a favor by supporting it and offering to help with it. I challenge you to find more than 5 new users that came to this site cos of Icefilms addon and have contributed anything and have more than 10 posts.

I was one such user.

P.S. If it is only three addons then there is some major issues with the policy as SSSOOOO many more are used solely to view "pirated" content. Is the stance against iceFilms? If that were the case I coudl see it being a matter of only 3 Addons.

Sorry if this sounded aggressive as well... truly not my intention.
will always be grateful for XBMC and XBMC.ORG
Abrasher Wrote:@ amet
Nerd
- you are seeming overly hostile, or aggressive, considering the discussion. It is simple. Many of us would like to see all add-ons and plugins in ONE PLACE. I deal situation is that they are all housed on XBMC.org. The new stance means this cannot happen, hence my project with XBMC HUB... hence some wanting to see them move.

I am sorry you see it that way, I am only disappointed in this whole thing... that is all.

Abrasher Wrote:I am not promoting this or trying to pull other devs away for your site. In fact I state many times in many threads that this is something I WILL NOT ATTEMPT. But to act like this desire makes no sense is simply ludicrous.

I know you will not attempt to do it, I know that it will not split the devs, again... I am just disappointed

Abrasher Wrote:The desire is not to move the ADDON community for the sake of moving them. The desire comes from the new need to move some big players in that family, and for those finding them on our site... the desire is to give those users a full experience in finding all other tools.

Will this happen? Likely not. XBMC is good at, what they are good at... but XBMC HUB will be there if and when others want to join in. Shocked

moving the "ADDON community" cos we want to shutdown IceFilms(and similar addon) threads... No

what makes it sad is that no one, out of the whole thing, has comeup and said "lets restructure the Addon section" ... but as soon as you said "XBMC Hub Home of the IceFilms addon" you became "the Man"... good for you and good luck with the "Hub", XBMC was here long before IceFilms and will be here long after IceFilms is gone.
Quote:what makes it sad is that no one, out of the whole thing, has comeup and said "lets restructure the Addon section" ... but as soon as you said "XBMC Hub Home of the IceFilms addon" you became "the Man"... good for you and good luck with the "Hub", XBMC was here long before IceFilms and will be here long after IceFilms is gone.

Just to make sure I come out of this thing with the same character I had going into this thing, I want to be clear. I am not trying to do any of this for me, or to be seen as the man (not that this is what you were implying). I simply use these tools, and as such want to see them continue and be available to others. That is it, that is all.

I know XBMC is bigger than iceFilms, and I agree with everything you said in that regard. The thing for me is that without all of these tools XBMC is the same as Boxee. Laughable, I know, as they are built off of XBMC... but when I purchased the Boxee box, they closed development of these types of things as well which led me to leave and go to the ATV w/ XBMC. You are bigger than these add-ons! yes! yes! yes! But, sadly, there are many companies that do what XBMC does without these types of extras.

lastly, I hate to think this is all simply to kill iceFilms threads(and similar). That seems malicious considering all of the tools that do the EXACT same thing.

- I typed a long list to prove a point, and opted not to put the names up in this discussionConfused-

God Bless
Abrasher Wrote:Just to make sure I come out of this thing with the same character I had going into this thing, I want to be clear. I am not trying to do any of this for me, or to be seen as the man (not that this is what you were implying). I simply use these tools, and as such want to see them continue and be available to others. That is it, that is all.

I know XBMC is bigger than iceFilms, and I agree with everything you said in that regard. The thing for me is that without all of these tools XBMC is the same as Boxee. Laughable, I know, as they are built off of XBMC... but when I purchased the Boxee box, they closed development of these types of things as well which led me to leave and go to the ATV w/ XBMC. You are bigger than these add-ons! yes! yes! yes! But, sadly, there are many companies that do what XBMC does without these types of extras.

lastly, I hate to think this is all simply to kill iceFilms threads(and similar). That seems malicious considering all of the tools that do the EXACT same thing.

- I typed a long list to prove a point, and opted not to put the names up in this discussionConfused-

God Bless

I still think, and I am waiting to be corrected on that, our Piracy stance is aimed at maximum 3 addons.

to keep this clean, feel free to e-mail, PM or find me on IRC and we can discuss what other addon is breaking the Piracy rules.

I never thought you do what you do to be "the man", that was the byproduct Smile , I have the isssue with all the +1s comming from the people that have contributed sweet f all and are now crying for icefilms cos the life as they know it is going to end.

to everyone that gets offended by above statement ... if the shoe fits, wear it.

I dont want to be percived as the one standing in your way in any way(not that I can), I just want us to be one big happy community Smile
amet Wrote:I still think, and I am waiting to be corrected on that, our Piracy stance is aimed at maximum 3 addons.

to keep this clean, feel free to e-mail, PM or find me on IRC and we can discuss what other addon is breaking the Piracy rules.

I never thought you do what you do to be "the man", that was the byproduct Smile , I have the isssue with all the +1s comming from the people that have contributed sweet f all and are now crying for icefilms cos the life as they know it is going to end.

to everyone that gets offended by above statement ... if the shoe fits, wear it.

I dont want to be percived as the one standing in your way in any way(not that I can), I just want us to be one big happy community Smile

+1
amet Wrote:I am sorry you see it that way, I am only disappointed in this whole thing... that is all.

What

I know you will not attempt to do it, I know that it will not split the devs, again... I am just disappointed

moving the "ADDON community" cos we want to shutdown IceFilms(and similar addon) threads... No

what makes it sad is that no one, out of the whole thing, has comeup and said "lets restructure the Addon section" ... but as soon as you said "XBMC Hub Home of the IceFilms addon" you became "the Man"... good for you and good luck with the "Hub", XBMC was here long before IceFilms and will be here long after IceFilms is gone.

I don't know why you feel so offended by this initiative.

You (as a part of team-xbmc) should see XBMChub as a site which promotes XBMC and have the potential to let a few new users find out about XBMC.

XBMChub is a fan page of XBMC, not a competitor.
It might be only affecting three add-ons right now, but in the future there might be more.

amet Wrote:what makes it sad is that no one, out of the whole thing, has comeup and said "lets restructure the Addon section" ... but as soon as you said "XBMC Hub Home of the IceFilms addon" you became "the Man"... good for you and good luck with the "Hub", XBMC was here long before IceFilms and will be here long after IceFilms is gone.

Maybe I'm misreading you here.. but how can we restructure the addon section to fit within the rules?

Or were you simply meaning restructure it to please the addons that remain instead of moving them all somewhere else?

I think we all want the same thing, 1 home for all.. unfortunately our shitty laws prevent that from happening and addons like Icefilms put XBMC at too great of a risk, none of us want that and I don't understand the heat some of you guys are taking for the decision.. I'm surprised it took this long actually!

Were there any ideas thrown out at alternatives other than closing down certain addon threads, trying to find a way to avoid segregation?
Eldorado Wrote:Maybe I'm misreading you here.. but how can we restructure the addon section to fit within the rules?

Or were you simply meaning restructure it to please the addons that remain instead of moving them all somewhere else?

there is no way to keep some addons in here, they have to go.

as for the ones that stay, they are welcome to the subforum. skins have subforums, no one, that I know of, has ever asked for a subforum in Addons(Scripts/plugins) and been turned down.

Eldorado Wrote:I think we all want the same thing, 1 home for all.. unfortunately our shitty laws prevent that from happening and addons like Icefilms put XBMC at too great of a risk, none of us want that and I don't understand the heat some of you guys are taking for the decision.. I'm surprised it took this long actually!

well, if you think that ALL devs will move to the hub, you are in for a surprise.

Eldorado Wrote:Were there any ideas thrown out at alternatives other than closing down certain addon threads, trying to find a way to avoid segregation?

only thing to avoid IceFilms being ditched would be to not discuss the internal icefilms issues. but the moment their site went down, we saw an increase in one-post-wonders "whats wrong with XBMC, icefilms is not working".
BORIStheBLADE Wrote:It might be only affecting three add-ons right now, but in the future there might be more.

sure, and all should have a different home.
Batch Wrote:I don't know why you feel so offended by this initiative.

You (as a part of team-xbmc) should see XBMChub as a site which promotes XBMC and have the potential to let a few new users find out about XBMC.

XBMChub is a fan page of XBMC, not a competitor.

I never said it was a competitor, all I said is that its not justified moving ALL addon dev/support threads for the sake of 3 illegal ones... if devs want to move, who am I to tell them not to...
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Creation of new site for XBMC Add-Ons2