• 6(current)
Creation of new site for XBMC Add-Ons
amet Wrote:as for the ones that stay, they are welcome to the subforum. skins have subforums, no one, that I know of, has ever asked for a subforum in Addons(Scripts/plugins) and been turned down.

So maybe for the time being let's create some subsections and move the add-ons threads to their subsection until the new forum is finished.
I think this won't be that much work (please correct me if i am wrong though).
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
I like the new site but some thoughts, suggestions? I'm a relatively new user of XBMC....like under 2 years. First started on the ATV2 as well. Now i'm using the OSX version. But I wasn't one of the users who only uses it for icefilms and Navi-X...but I have some friends and that's ALL they use.

Anyways I like the site but forums even though I go here often and post semi frequently are kinda old school. More info and more of a "store look" ala Android Market, App Store (but with no pricing obliviously) I think would be a much cooler and more recognizable to the avg user. Right now finding addons (and the newest version!) is a bit of a pain on here. Even on your site it's a couple more steps then it really needs to be IMO.

So I think if you go to your site click on a "video category" Instead of going to forums maybe have it laid out with the Logo, a description, a video of it in use, comments/and or posts on what people think about it maybe? And the download link.

I think it would be much easier to navigate and to download addons. Sign in with facebook maybe or whatever. Make a fan page on there too. Make a real community out of the addons which be really cool. XBMC App Store (except they're free) lol.

Just some thoughts. I like what you got going on and has been bookmarked.
Martijn Wrote:So maybe for the time being let's create some subsections and move the add-ons threads to their subsection until the new forum is finished.
I think this won't be that much work (please correct me if i am wrong though).

sure, the devs/authors that need it are welcome to PM me and I'll get it done

EDIT: on the second read, did you want me to move them regardless?
There would be nothing stoping someone with an "exiled" add-on coming back to xbmc.org and asking technical questions like "hey, how do you get this button to be blah blah" etc. This is mostly going to just affect end-user questions/threads.

That being said, the internet is a wonderful linky place with lots of links. Anyone who wants to make an add-on site, go for it. Have threads on both/multiple sites if you want (assuming you're not an "exiled" add-on). Add-on development is spread across tons of sites. The xbmc.org add-on code repo isn't even on the same code repo site as XBMC itself. For development there's some stuff on the Wiki, then a ton more on some PDF file hosted somewhere else. Some add-ons already have forums/threads on other sites. And if you can do something better than xbmc.org can, then go for it so we can steal your ideas :D

My point being that multiple sites isn't that big of a deal to developers or even end-users. Also I don't think it's a big deal if xbmc.org is the main place to discuss add-ons, or that people even have to pick one or the other. There's so many things out there, games or hobbies, that have multiple websites and forums and all that jazz, but manage to stay connected.

So welcome to the XBMC community of websites, XBMC Hub!
amet Wrote:sure, the devs/authors that need it are welcome to PM me and I'll get it done

EDIT: on the second read, did you want me to move them regardless?

Regardless. Created the some subsection like mentioned on add-ons wiki

That at least would clean up that entire add-on section a bit for the time being. Don't think it would be necessary (or wise) to give each add-on or dev his own section because that would maybe increase the number of sections dramatic.
Martijn Wrote:Regardless. Created the some subsection like mentioned on add-ons wiki

That at least would clean up that entire add-on section a bit for the time being. Don't think it would be necessary (or wise) to give each add-on or dev his own section.

Speaking of that, been meaning to write up a little guide for add-on devs on how to go about this (just advice), but devs/users, you're free to expand those add-on pages on the wiki. Use them to set up FAQs, guides, etc. You can even make sub-pages if one page isn't enough. TheCollective (guys behind add-ons like YouTube, Vimeo, Common plugin cache, etc) have done this, moving their documentation to the wiki. (should have some guidelines soon, but feel free to PM me if you have any questions about that)

Of course, the forum piracy policy would extend to the wiki as well, but if any external site wants to set up something similar, I'd be glad to help you out with MediaWiki stuff.
Ned Scott Wrote:Speaking of that, been meaning to write up a little guide for add-on devs on how to go about this (just advice), but devs/users, you're free to expand those add-on pages on the wiki. .............

Of course, the forum piracy policy would extend to the wiki as well, but if any external site wants to set up something similar, I'd be glad to help you out with MediaWiki stuff.

Way ahead of you Wink
I already starting (and got bored Big Grin )
Artwork Downloader
would of thought opening a new subreddit (r/xbmcaddons) on reddit would of been a better idea.

least then you are tapping into an existing xbmc and cordcutting community.
amet Wrote:well, if you think that ALL devs will move to the hub, you are in for a surprise.

Where did you get that out of what I wrote?
Eldorado Wrote:Where did you get that out of what I wrote?

Code:
I think we all want the same thing, 1 home for all..
sounds like if 1 home for all cant be here, you'd want it there... if not.. my bad, no offense meant Smile
Okay, well the fact is that XBMC HUB is up and running. If it is home to 3, that is great. WIll it stop there? NO. We may not have all devs on all platforms homing their discussions in the HUB but we have some very user friendly and forward thinking tools offered to make it a great(enjoyable) place to be.

There was the mentioning of an APP STORE type set up. We are way ahead of you. What is up is the first stage of the project. It says in the General Information section that there is much in the way of a face lift coming.

It is our full intention to have video walks throughs, reviews, and user feedback on all of these things. We will start with these great devs being ousted(for now) to work out the kinks. Once we are smooth and devs are pleased...

BRING ON THE AWESOME.

Conversation is moot. XBMC is making the change (understandably). XBMC HUB is bor as a result. I will work my hardest to make it a place that furthers the XBMC community and supports those that the HOME TEAM cannot.

God Bless.

@ amet

You are still being very hostile on some unnecessary points. Please move on and let it go. If XBMC didn't have to make these changes there would be none of these discussions. This is all a simple result of your teams decision. Of course those effected are bothered. THIS SHOCKS YOU? REALLY?? Huh
will always be grateful for XBMC and XBMC.ORG
Abrasher Wrote:@ amet

You are still being very hostile on some unnecessary points. Please move on and let it go. If XBMC didn't have to make these changes there would be none of these discussions. This is all a simple result of your teams decision. Of course those effected are bothered. THIS SHOCKS YOU? REALLY?? Huh

sure mate, good luck

now that you are up and running, can all the discussion be moved there?
Martijn Wrote:Regardless. Created the some subsection like mentioned on add-ons wiki

That at least would clean up that entire add-on section a bit for the time being. Don't think it would be necessary (or wise) to give each add-on or dev his own section because that would maybe increase the number of sections dramatic.

Not sure this is best way to go. By far the most popular addons are video addons (73%), and they are still limped together.
I don't see the point in having such an extensive list, group common ones together ie
music (Album Scraper Addons, Artist Scraper Addons, Lyrics Addons and Music Addons) 13%
programs (Program Addons, Service Addons, Subtitle Addons) 4%
Scrapper (Music video Scraper Addons, Movie Scraper Addons, TV Scraper Addons) 1%
misc (Picture Addons, Weather Addons, Web Interface Addons) 8%

And find some way of dividing up the video addons. By repo would be my choice. But what has been done, hasn't helped the situation.
While we're at it, can we get a subsection for addon requests?
rogerthis Wrote:Not sure this is best way to go. By far the most popular addons are video addons (73%), and they are still limped together.
I don't see the point in having such an extensive list, group common ones together ie
music (Album Scraper Addons, Artist Scraper Addons, Lyrics Addons and Music Addons) 13%
programs (Program Addons, Service Addons, Subtitle Addons) 4%
Scrapper (Music video Scraper Addons, Movie Scraper Addons, TV Scraper Addons) 1%
misc (Picture Addons, Weather Addons, Web Interface Addons) 8%

And find some way of dividing up the video addons. By repo would be my choice. But what has been done, hasn't helped the situation.
At least now it is somewhat less of a mess. Ok the video section still has a lot but it is still better than it used to be. It now only has video add-ons so searching it will be a lot easier and the popular ones will be on top.

Don't know it subsection in a sub can be done. Maybe for large repo's that have a lot of add-ons it might be a good idea however there is the chance all gets fragmented again.

newatv2user Wrote:While we're at it, can we get a subsection for addon requests?

That might be a good idea Nod
  • 6(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Creation of new site for XBMC Add-Ons2